Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:41 am 
Site Moderator

Docgadget,

Buy a litre of 30W-ND motor oil and you will be fine. I have been using this oil for about 8 years in my pumpers and CO2 airguns and have had no problems. My HW40 is almost 12 years old and still working great. Attached is the bottle that I bought many years ago.

The proof is in the results. I have used Pellgunoil and 30W-ND and didn't have problems with either. My seals did not distort or dissolve and all was fine. Whatever detergents are used in Pellgunoil/Monolec they are fine for airguns. If you buy some cheap 30W-ND oil and find you need to see the red colour then you can always use the 30W for your lawnmower. :D

Cheers,
Todd

Attachment:
oil 002.JPG
oil 002.JPG [ 58.52 KiB | Viewed 893 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 pm 

Another way to look at the cost of the proven good oil. A person spends from $200 to $600 for example on an air rifle. A $7.00 tube of the proper, commonly recognized good oil will last for years on that rifle. Seems like cheap insurance to have a smooth working rifle. If you are servicing a large enough number of rifles that the cost of oil is a factor you are probably doing it on a commercial basis, just charge another 50 cents per service to recover the cost of consumables just like a garage does with your car.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:42 pm 

Cost is not the reason I use 30wt ND motor oil.

It is what the manufacturer recommends.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:20 pm 

scruffie wrote:
Watertown wrote:
Daisy seems to be the main company that recommends #30 non detergent motor oil. To further complicate the issue Crosman sells pellgunoil and a separate product Silicone Chamber Oil.

I use 30W non detergent with my Co2's
Silicone chamber oil in my springers. Lauchlin posted a thread on a test with the stuff in one of his springers over thousands of shots. Was a good thread. will look up if I get a chance. Or someone else can find. :wink:

That gun has thousands of rounds threw it now still works fine ............

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:34 pm 

v30 wrote:
Getting low on the pellgun oil and hate to pay the $7+ for such a small amount. I was at the hardware store and noticed that they sell air tool oil. Would this be safe to use in my airguns? I assume airtools have similar constructions, ie valves, seals, orings etc?

I buy it in little 4 oz bottles come with a little nozzle for application been using it on my co2 gun for 35 plus years works fine but so will 30 w n/d motor oil a so to answer your question yes it is safe to use air tool oil ................

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:11 pm 
Site Moderator

I used Pellgunoil for the first few years with my Weihrauch HW40 (purchased new in 1999). About 8 years ago I started using 30W-ND motor oil. The HW40 has seen well over 20,000 shots. I'm only on my second pistol seal. The valve seals are still the originals from 1999. The cheap motor oil does the job and does not eat seals. Daisy recommends the 30W-ND oil for the 717/747 pistols. Crosman sells rebadged motor oil as "Pellgunoil". You can pay $4 for a tiny tube or $3 for a litre. Both do the same job.

Cheers,
Todd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:37 pm 

i needed pelgun oil and was at CT when i remembered...the pelgun oil was 5.99!!!! and then i remembered this post and bought a 1L. bottle of ND 30w oil for 2.49....just a lil savings....lol

Dave[/color]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:36 pm 

Just for clarification, can you use oil like ND 5W-30 or ND 10W-30 as it seems better than strictly ND SAE 30. It can operate in the same temperature range as SAE 30 but also in colder temps. I was also thinking about getting the high mileage oil as it will have anti-wear agents. Just don't know if they are approximately the same or way different.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

knotty wrote:
Just for clarification, can you use oil like ND 5W-30 or ND 10W-30 as it seems better than strictly ND SAE 30. It can operate in the same temperature range as SAE 30 but also in colder temps. I was also thinking about getting the high mileage oil as it will have anti-wear agents. Just don't know if they are approximately the same or way different.

I have never seen a multi-blend like you list that is non-detergent. Multi-blends have lots of additives. Just get a 20 or 30 W Non-detergent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:20 pm 

I'm sorry but I'm still not sure about the non-detergent part...
Pellgunoil as exceptional detergency. Maybe we should mix both to semi-detergency :rolleyes:
Here are the links to the products in case someone hasn't seen them or doesn't want to go to page one of this tread :wink:

MSDS page from Crosman : http://www.crosman.com/pdf/msds/MSDS-PELLGUNOIL.pdf
Actual manufacturer PDF flyer : http://www.le-inc.com/products/document ... _flyer.pdf

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:48 pm 

"Exceptional detergency" does not necessarily mean it contains detergent. I may just mean it works as well as an oil with detergent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:00 pm 

idontknowjack wrote:
"Exceptional detergency" does not necessarily mean it contains detergent. I may just mean it works as well as an oil with detergent.

I'm no oil expert but non-detergent and exceptional detergency sure ain't the same thing.

I still have 4 little un-opened Pelgunoil container that I bought from a store closing a few years ago so I should be good for a little while.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:57 pm 

I'm no oil expert but non-detergent and exceptional detergency sure ain't the same thing.

well said, thats funny!!