Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: question ?
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:07 am 

Is it ok to leave a Co2 cartridge in the gun if it's not empty and if so what's the safe time limit?
Not planning on leaving it in there for more than a whole day but sometimes life has a way of pulling you off of your funtime :lol:

Post subject: Re: question ?
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:13 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

No point in wasting the C02. I Regularly leave caps in for months with no problem. Even pulled a few AG's out years later that the caps had been left in and they still held gas and shot fine. Though not something I would recommended for that long a period. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:16 am 

Its fine shouldn't be a problem unless your gun is sitting all day in the hot burning sun and I highly doubt that.

Post subject: question ?
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:24 pm 

Just be sure to dab a lil pelgun oil on the top before inserting and your seals should last a long while

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:08 pm 

thanks guys :D

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:10 pm 

Same here I've had one in some guns for longer than I can remember. I intend to write the date on the cartridge with a sharpie next time so I have an idea of how long it lasts (I do this with some stuff, it's interesteing to see how long (or how short :( ) it lasts).

The pellgun oil on the tip will prevent the tip of the cartridge from sticking to the the seal inside the pistol (and will lube everything inside at the same time).

And like Ace mentioned don't let it get hot if it's in the gun or not.

Just enjoy your pistol and be careful when shooting CO2 outside in the summer, it WILL attract mosquitoes and other bugs that like to suck our blood.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:05 pm 

ok i have another one i wanted to get oil for the maintenance of seals and stuff but i get all kinds of negative reviews on pell gun oil from crossman others say it's good others say i have to use silicone oil and those are brought down by peoples saying it will crack the seals on the long run :shock:
so what's the best all around oil to use ??

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:01 pm 

For seals (tip of co2 cartridges...) pellgunoil is king.
For chamber inside springers you can use Crosman silicone chamber lube or RWS silicone chamber lube.
For rust protection on metal: any oil but I use Balistol

Gilbert

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:12 pm 

Just go to your local auto parts store get SAE 30W non-detergent oil it will last you for ever. :wink:

I forgot to mention leaving your C02 in your gun is also an excellent and sure way to test if it has a small leak especially the ones you can't hear.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:54 pm 

Ace wrote:
Just go to your local auto parts store get SAE 30W non-detergent oil it will last you for ever. :wink: But pellgun oil is extreme detergency diesel motor oil as per their MSDS card

I forgot to mention leaving your C02 in your gun is also an excellent and sure way to test if it has a small leak especially the ones you can't hear.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:10 pm 

Sorry Doc don't quite follow your point but just to clarify I underlined non-detergent for a reason you can get non-detergent 30w oil.
The MSD sheet you speak of is for strait SAE 30w motor oil there's a deference. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:56 pm 

Ace wrote:
Sorry Doc don't quite follow your point but just to clarify I underlined non-detergent for a reason you can get non-detergent 30w oil.
The MSD sheet you speak of is for strait SAE 30w motor oil there's a deference. :wink:

Pellgun oil is extreme detergency (aka detergent) diesel motor oil.
Daisy put non-detergent motor oil in their manual when they stopped selling their own oil.
I'm talking about the MSDS fact sheet that can be found on Crosman website here:
http://www.crosman.com/pdf/msds/MSDS-PELLGUNOIL.pdf
Where you can see that pellgun oil is fact Monolec GFS SAE 30 engine oil and if you search for that oil you will find this:
http://products.lelubricants.com/Asset/8420-8450.pdf
and if you read the product page you'll see it has "Exceptional detergency"

I'm not saying which oil to choose, that's up to you but pellgun oil is NOT non-detergent motor oil.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:03 pm 

see that's what i ment :lol:

so any NON detergent oil right?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:19 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
[I'm not saying which oil to choose, that's up to you but pellgun oil is NOT non-detergent motor oil.

That's my point Doc I never said to get pellgun oil so I don't understand where your going with this. :?

So are you saying that one can not find or get SAE 30w non-detergent motor oil.???

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:55 pm 

I use pellgunoil. Also silicone oil can be used on airgun seals. Airsofters use it in their guns and they use the same kind of seals. I own a tube of superluber grease and it says you can use it on rubber orings and so on. But I would use grease because it wouldn't be dispersed through the guns gas system where internal rubber rings are. Not just any silicone oil though, you need stuff that is safe for orings. Google some safe oils. But if you can get pellgun oil. Silicone is a fall back just in case, well it is for me. I mean if I can't find pellgunoil locally I am not giving Pyramyd Air $10 in shipping costs to send me $3 tube of oil.

Also as other have pointed out you can also use 30wt ND motor oil. I have read forums where many have said they used it and had no problems. That's also one of my choices as well. In the mean time I will keep using pellgunoil and when my tube is gone I will have to look around I guess and make some decisions.