Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Thanks Joolz.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:02 am 

After some questions you asked about the chinese B1 series airguns, I dug out my b1(2) and b3(2) and ran a few pellets through them. I hadn't shot them in a while and forgot how much fun they were to shoot.
The B1(top) was the airgun that started my addiction. The rear sight was plastic and fully adjustable. It just kept adjusting when you didn't want it to. After removing the sights, I made the aluminum "muzzle brake" to cover up the splines on the end of the barrel. After a lube tune, it's still twangy as heck. Kinda makes a "pooong" sound when fired. I bought it at Tooltown (similar to Princess Auto) for 24.95 on sale a few years ago.
The B3 I bought through Amazon (USA). As I mentioned in a previous post, the barrel is misaligned and the compression chamber was corroded. After a lube tune and new piston seal, it shoots 650 fps with a solid "thwaak". It shoots better than I can see. After breaking in, I degreased and used blue loctite on the stock screws and pivot screws on both guns.

So thanks, Joolz for reminding me how much fun these "pre-assembled unfinished airgun kits" are once you get them running well. It sounds like your B1 is running well right out of the box. In my experience, that's uncommon. Enjoy!

Rick.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

Post subject: Re: Thanks Joolz.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:09 pm 

Nice to see your "diamonds in the rough".

:D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:45 pm 

Hey Rick, nearly missed this thread, just seen it now.
Yah, there's something about going back to basics that adds/brings back a level of enjoyment that one doesn't realize is missing 'till he tries it.
Glad to hear you're enjoying yours again.

So this model came with a plastic sight huh? That sucks. I'm very pleased that mine has a basic sight that has elevation (still not sure if there's a way to adjust it for windage) and is pure iron. I seem to do better with it then the fibre optics. I also see that yours has a butt plate, mine doesn't. Seems like a slight variation of the same basic design. Wonder how many companies make these throughout the world.

I'm beginning to like the trigger, a bit on the heavy side but very predictable. Having virtually no travel makes it just that. Hopefully it will ease off a bit in the future but it's not like it causes me problems. Still plenty of dieseling but it may just be the teflon oil I sprayed into the barrel to clean up all that factory preservative oil. At least it no longer smells. And it is by far the fastest gun of the bunch. Wish I could run it past a chrony.

And to think I nearly didn't grab it, after hearing so many negatives about it. I was fully prepared to return it for a refund if it sucked that much so I didn't see a reason not to take the chance. And boy, am I glad I did. Getting those 10 pellets inside a dime with plenty of room to spare is confirmation that this thing is a keeper. I'm sure these will go on sale again, when they do I may very well grab another to tinkle with (or pretend I'm Hacked2pieces and go to surgery on it)

PS: I'm still to shoot a gun I didn't like. Guess I must be really easy to please.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:52 pm 

Heh Joolz if the metal rear sight is held on with 2 screws often you can loosen the 2 screws a little... front one still snug and back one slight more than front one...shift the sight to the left or right picoting on the front screw and depending on what the correction needed is then tighten them back up. Is that possible with yours? doe sit have 2 screws. Sometimes even with one screw that is possible to do.

just a thought.....

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:48 pm 

picoting - definition of picoting by The Free Dictionary
A series of small embroidered loops forming an ornamental edging on some ribbon and lace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:13 pm 

Non Sequitur definition from Mirriam-Webster on-line dictionary

non se·qui·tur noun \ˈnän-ˈse-kwə-tər also -ˌtu̇r\

: a statement that is not connected in a logical or clear way to anything said before it

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:47 pm 

Took a few pics prior to realizing the lens in the cam could have used a wipe - ignore the rainbow in the centre of the image, that's not what the metal looks like. Although who knows what's in it but that's a story for another day.

There are two parts to this crude sight, the base is welded in place. Pity, I was hoping Murray was right. However the top portion is held in place with a single spring and a pivot pin. Really simplistic method to adjust the elev but thankfully mine came spot on so I'm not touching it. The only lateral movement I can get is from the blade on top, it gives me a 1.5mm play. Although if this was better built there should have been none. I noticed that mine shoots about 1cm to the right at 6m. Will play with that 1.5mm and once spot on I'll just hold the blade with a piece of tape.

I don't have to worry as I lucked out with one that shoots straight, unlike the first one. That was off by a good 5cm at 6m. Hopefully the one Doug is getting will be just as straight.
Heh so much fuss over what I initially thought to be a joke of a gun and dismissed it as child's play. Yet this thing has some serious accuracy and power. I bet it is beyond PAL but no here heard that, at least not till after get my PAL.

Attachments:
B1 iron sight.jpg
B1 iron sight.jpg [ 97.45 KiB | Viewed 862 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 pm 

joolz you only have elevation, you didn't pay enough for windage :lol: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 pm 

So true, and in that line of thought I also didn't pay for elevation so I see that as a bonus. Or something that shoots pellets instead of plastic BBs, so that too is a bonus. Or something that actually has accuracy compatible with some of my costlier guns.

When you come to think of it I have a transparent plastic BB pistol with fixed sights that shoots incredibly slow, due to its mickey mouse toy spring, no where near a target and jams with just about every shot that cost about as much as this thing. So yeah, I consider the entire gun a freebie. And unlike the crappy airsoft junk, this thing is actually fun to pile up pellets. Talk about a pleasant surprise.

I'm getting more of a kick with this thing than the 953 - and that one has windage!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:53 pm 

Ace wrote:
joolz you only have elevation, you didn't pay enough for windage :lol: :lol: :wink:

Right you are Ace. The model I have not only (had) adjustable sights, it has a rubber recoil pad to prevent those nasty recoil bruises, and a raised cheekpiece for those 400 meter gopher's eyeball shots. Those options were well worth the extra $3 or so that was the price differential for this ultra-premium model.

Just yesterday I exploded a bunch of crabapples at 15 meters with mine. Damn that's fun. Then pick off the exploded bits. Poong, poong, poong.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:24 am 

Bit of a time waster to wrap up the evening.
Lacking a chrony this is the closest thing I use to gauge power, an empty H&N pellet tin placed against the soft putty and being shot at less than 1m away.
Totally unscientific of course, but fun to look at.

I don't know the speed of any of these rifles except for what's posted on the box, which cannot be believed since I'm using very different pellets.

Assuming the 953 shoots at 360 fps, which is likely about right for my 9gr pellets, then here's a fun tiddibit of info: the bulge created by the B1 is roughly 47% higher than the 953's (used Photoshop at high zoom to measure this). Adding 47% to 360 gives you 530 (fps). Really unscientific way to guess but if true then two things are for sure: the B1 packs a punch - and Princess Auto ought to be careful. When I finally get a chrony I'll be curious to see how close these numbers are. So don't be surprised to see a revival of this thread in the future.
Hmm maybe we should start a pool.

Attachments:
poor mans chrony.jpg
poor mans chrony.jpg [ 57.39 KiB | Viewed 819 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:47 pm 

Ghost ring site from a shotgun heat shield for a front site.
I wanted to bleach this B4 stock till it looked like clear pine, but it was painted when I got it. After bleaching it pulled paint out of the grain and I ended up staining it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:23 pm 

Padz, that heat shield makes it look badass. Does it not make the front too heavy? Either way, neat setup.
Are these all underlevers? I see that Rick has a B3 that appears to be an underlever.
Makes me wonder if my next budget purchase should be one of these. I mean, if they're as much fun to shoot as the B1, just as accurate (assuming of course you get a good one) and equally as butt-ugly, then I'm game.

Yes, I may become known as the guy with the highest number of cheapo crappo in his collection and just as big a smile as those with high end PCPs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:31 am 

Joolz wrote:
Padz, that heat shield makes it look badass. Does it not make the front too heavy? Either way, neat setup.
Are these all underlevers? I see that Rick has a B3 that appears to be an underlever.
Makes me wonder if my next budget purchase should be one of these. I mean, if they're as much fun to shoot as the B1, just as accurate (assuming of course you get a good one) and equally as butt-ugly, then I'm game.

Yes, I may become known as the guy with the highest number of cheapo crappo in his collection and just as big a smile as those with high end PCPs.

I made the shroud out of aluminum pipe. Weighs almost nothing. I also cut the barrel and cocking leaver shorter and lost some weight that way.
My b3 b4 variants are underlevers.