Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Stoeger x-10 help
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:37 pm 

Hi guys, first post here!!! Hoping I can get a few questions answered!!!

Last fall I purchased a stoeger x-10 (.177) for my son, and it's been giving us some grief!!! Right from the get go the gun shot hard to the right, so far that it couldn't be adjusted out with the open factory sights... so no big deal I'll just go buy a scope for it, so I got a BSA and a proper air rifle base for it, and it lasted about 25 shots... so we took it back and got a scorpion as they said it would hold up to airgun recoil, it was okay for a bit then groups opened right up so I replaced it today with yet another (higher end) scorpion scope... when the last scorpion "went" I ran out of adjustment to bring the bullet up, now today with new one, same story... the base I have is fairly high and there is roughly 3/8-1/2" of clearance between the bell and the receiver, so I'm wondering if I should try to find low mounts??? I shimmed the rear ring to try and get it a little closer for him but that was a fail... the gun shoots quite well, it'll put 9/10 in a quarter at 25yds, just not to the point of aim... Any thoughts???

Also, what's the low down on pellets??? Any brands guys are loyal to these days??? It's been years since I shot a pellet gun, and noticed the last 500 pack of gamo were very inconsistent in size, I never put a caliber on them, but some seat 1/16" further in the barrel that other from same pack, and point of impact differs between the two as well...

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Post subject: Re: Stoeger x-10 help
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:41 pm 

The fact you cannot get close with iron sights leads me towards a bent barrel, or action not mounted correctly in stock.

If it were only the scope, then perhaps the dovetail was not machined correctly on the receiver, or a bad set of rings or mount...but all that goes out the window if you cannot sight it in properly with open sights.

So..do you think it has ever been fired while the barrel was cocked in the down position, thus SLAMMING the barrel closed? That will bend a barrel almost every time and not necessarily "straight up" all the time either.

I am assuming more than one person has tried to sight it in? For example, I shoot about 6" left compared to my son. Just the way i hold the rifle, align the sights, vision, 36yr difference in eyes, and so on.

I had a very similar problem recently on a Chinese C02 rifle. The barrel was either bent, or dovetail not milled anywhere close to inline with the bore.

What I did was take a dremel to the inside of the scope mounts. Used a HSS cutter and hogged out one side and the bottom of the UTG medium height rings, then started shimming to "bring it back to center".

Took some fiddling, and ruined a set of rings, but I cant say I really care because it worked like a charm. I put the windage and elevation knobs on the scope to middle position and went from there.

Once I got it close I locktighted everything and it shoots great. I'll probably never take that scope off now as long as I live :)

Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:40 pm 

Safety feature prevents firing in cocked position... It has done this since new, initially I thought maybe barrel break in, but at this point that's out the window... both of us have shot it, and three different brands of pellets have three different impact points, but all shoot well... neither scope or sights can be adjusted to point of impact, scope is only a vertical problem, while open sights are a horizontal problem... I'm gonna order a different set of rings, maybe it's just a bad ring issue and the one piece rings aren't machined straight, or perhaps the dovetail is out like you suggested... Thanks!!!

Never thought a pellet gun would give me this much grief!!! I have a couple self built custom high power rifles that are easier to diagnose than this!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:01 pm 

Sounds like your rifle has "droop" (at least from your shooting low with the last two scopes)
A droop compensating mount will help or shim the rear ring.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... JKuXqXRxug

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... OGoMdNhleg
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:20 am 

A safety is a mechanical device and can thus fail at any time. Just saying...

OK, so if the only problem is vertical when using a scope, there are mounts to address that problem.

You could also take a dremel to the top inside of the rear scope ring to create more room for shims at the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:45 am 

Addressing your sighting issues, I must agree that the extremes you are experiencing indicate a barrel issue - not one that will be corrected by throwing any more scopes on the rifle. I'm not knowledgeable about your particular rifle, nor the springer genre, nor the scopes you have tried, but the fact that you have trashed three scopes trying to correct sighting for a rifle that couldn't shoot properly with its open sights leads me to believe you have a springer that has issues needing TLC from an experienced springer user.

Let's ask them to jump in at this point.