Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:24 am 

Farsighted here, and it's totally age related
There aren't many hand gun sights I can use reliably. If I can do minute of pop can at ten paces piistol over the opens, I'm doing real well.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:13 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Farsighted here, and it's totally age related
There aren't many hand gun sights I can use reliably. If I can do minute of pop can at ten paces piistol over the opens, I'm doing real well.

-D.S.

Feel your pain. My eyes simply cannot focus properly anymore with open sights on a rifle. Front, rear, plus target is too much for them. Peep sights like on the Daisy 499 Avanti BB gun are good for a half hour of shooting then I have to quit.

Pistols are better, probably due to much shorter sight radius. I also make use of red dots and lasers where I can, but of course that won't fly on a SAA Colt.

If I were you I'd probably buy one of the pellet versions to get the most accuracy possible. Perhaps the 7.5" version?

I think you you will be able to achieve one minute of can. All of my SAA pistols are dead nuts on windage and maybe a little high or low depending on your hold. Easily compensated for.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:11 am 

Cabelas Winnipeg has the black pellet version... Price point is quite a bit better than the CP-88 I've been thinking about. I have some decent previous experience with one of the old 3 screw convertible single sixes in powder .22...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:28 pm 

Caught the chrome 5.5" pellet version on sale at Cabelas for 149.00 and couldn't pass it by.
Nice revolver!!!

My first chrome gun of any kind. Quick and the dead :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Have yet to shoot it... grip is a little weird smallish. Rear sight is pretty well invisible to my eye. We shall see,perhaps later tonight.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:19 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Caught the chrome 5.5" pellet version on sale at Cabelas for 149.00 and couldn't pass it by.
Nice revolver!!!

My first chrome gun of any kind. Quick and the dead :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Have yet to shoot it... grip is a little weird smallish. Rear sight is pretty well invisible to my eye. We shall see,perhaps later tonight.

-D.S.

You ever see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? Of course you have (great musical score too)...remember the scene when the kid (Robert Redfprd) was being tested for the guard job? He was aiming his revolver at a wooden block on the ground and missed every time....the business owner spit on the ground and started to walk away....the the kid says "can I move"? The business owner says "what"?? then the kid fast draws and fires six shots in a few seconds blowing the wood block to smithereens....

Anyway, they are LOVELY pieces to fondle if shooting doesn't work out :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:00 am 

Well.....

Minute of soda can- almost.
At 10 paces, she's high and to the left.
7 paces turns the trick. 5 out of every 6 connect.
It vents a Lotta co-2 from both ends of the cylinder.
There are no set stops for the loading gate like the single 6.
I quit pulling the cases and started inserting pellets through the loading gate. A bit fumbly at first- by the 3rd cylinder I got it to a fluid motion.

Case seals appear to be ice maker tubing. Friction hold only...

Fit and finish are very good. It will penetrate the thick bottom of the aluminum cans with the 8.2 gr. Meisters at ten paces.

Very impressed with this. Fun plinker indeed!!! :lol: 8

Redford never really struck me as a gun guy. My favorite gun scene is still the final show down between Blondie, Tuco and Angel Eyes at the end of The good, the bad, and the ugly. Talk about musical score- with all that pro whistling!
-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:50 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I quit pulling the cases and started inserting pellets through the loading gate. A bit fumbly at first- by the 3rd cylinder I got it to a fluid motion.

Same. Much quicker.

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Very impressed with this. Fun plinker indeed!!! :lol: 8

Agreed. My favorite pellet pistol to shoot.

Doc Sharptail wrote:
My favorite gun scene is still the final show down between Blondie, Tuco and Angel Eyes at the end of The good, the bad, and the ugly. Talk about musical score- with all that pro whistling!
-D.S.

Classic. Poor tuco. Always at the end of the rope. Best ending.

The best line to start a gun fight

"My mule don't like people laughing, because he gets the crazy idea people are laughing at him. Now if you were to apologise"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:09 am 

Doc I'm really glad its working out for you. They are spectacular replicas plus in a few short months we have the Remington 1875 coming from Crosman although I'm not thrilled about a smoothbore that shoots pellets.

I'll buy one and stick with BB's. If its halfway accurate. If not, I'll just fondle.it every now and again.

Oh Doc, go buy the Schofield!!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:16 pm 

I'm going to experiment with black tape over that rear notch. Things may improve a lot with removing the chrome glare from the rear.

Fondlable- yes... to a certain point. (Can't seem to put it down). Love the weight, and it has the best production trigger I've seen in a while.

Still gotta make up my mind between the 686-6 or the CP-88 .

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:38 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
I'm going to experiment with black tape over that rear notch. Things may improve a lot with removing the chrome glare from the rear.

Fondlable- yes... to a certain point. (Can't seem to put it down). Love the weight, and it has the best production trigger I've seen in a while.

Still gotta make up my mind between the 686-6 or the CP-88 .

-D.S.

Deleted this paragraph as I was thinking of the new DAN Wesson 4" etc 715 line.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:37 pm 

The last 6 shot group I did with it on Thurs night' 4 went into about 1/8". The 2 I yanked due to my eyes spread it to a good 6". Crown on this gun got decent factory finishing. Will get a try with black hockey tape Monday....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 pm 

After looking at that rear notch, it becomes apparent that it could use a bit of widening/cleanup. Anyone here have any ideas on how much metal is there? I'd rather not cut into something I shouldn't with the needle files...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:38 pm 

5 1/2" artillery model that was on sale at Cabela's a little while back...
R/H view:

L/H view:

CO-2 cylinder housing and wrench

I don't mind the "rubber skin" plastic grips at all. Nice non-slip grip there, and I'll have to remember to keep hands clean while handling the pistol.

The cylinder pin release is a dummy on this gun- it's cast in to the form, and not a separate mechanical piece.
Not sure what's gonna "sproing out" on cylinder removal, and don't really want to find out. Cylinder stop looks full size and is fully functional. Setting hammer to the half notch pulls the stop down below the frame surface, so the cylinder can be hand rotated....

Dang gun's growin on me. :mrgreen:

Where in Canada to get a 7 1/2" original model?

Gun 4 clicks nicely. Action is smoother with the dummy cartridges in the cylinder, than out.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:00 pm 

Nice! Looks great!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk