Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:49 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Sounds like competitive spirits are on the rise in the anticipation of a new season .... :P
Whooohooo!!! Let the games begin!!!.... :twisted: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:02 pm 

rvd wrote:
CJN, you FT guys are real sensitive eh ? hahaha Ok, let's clear this up..

I agree with what you said about the person having to complete the puzzle, of course! Guns don't shoot themselves.. The shooter has to be sharp and on his game, his gun is a tool and without his skills the gun is useless BUT the gun does help.

CJN, what other comments have I made? If i offended anybody in other posts i rather clear this S$$T up instead of them thinking i'm some kind of hot head..

The comment you made about my 1st score.. Well i never claimed to be a FT expert.. To be honest with you I didn't even want to shoot that day but since all of you kept telling me to shoot I thought ok what the hell.. Now My rifle is a QB78deluxe which really in all honesty is half decent for what it is but compared to your FT rigs it's a complete and utter joke! haha I had the worst possible pellet selection that day(superpoints) which was the reason i didn't want to compete.. My gun shoots terrible with those pellets, it spirals the pellets BAD!! But still from what i was told I beat mostly everybody else's first time score (which i found hard to believe) who had way more expensive rifles than i had.. So what does that say ??

I'm not putting down FT at all, believe me man if I didn't have any interest in it I would have never came out and shot let alone look like an idiot shooting a cheap POS with the wrong pellets next to high end rifles and experienced guys.. So take that into consideration..

Like i said I totally appreciate what you guys do out there even if it isn't my thing, i'll still come out because hey, it's an excuse to shoot and shoot with other guys even though they might be a little over sensitive..

I think you're all good guys from what i've seen, i'm not trying to insult anyone.. Maybe you misunderstood me or maybe I should have worded my sentences a little more wise haha

Anyways... ya.... Did I forget something? :lol:

RVD,

We love to have you come out. Your always welcome. I hope you will learn to love the sport more as you have more time in it. Your scores will only increase, certainly. No need to feel like you have offended the FT shooters. Your not there, yet. You have made equipment comments like above before, and I found it necessary to remind you that equipment can only go so far, and try to be careful how you respond to those who are always ready to lend you a helping hand.

This is not a matter of FT shooters sensitivity, although all your time that you have spent in the above post defending your score seems like sensitivity to me. You didn't say a thing about me personally. I don't particularly find a need to defend Don, but when I see extremely inaccurate comments I do find the need to correct that. At least once. If I find that it is not beneficial to do so with a particular individual, if is pointless to continue.

This is just a matter of you making bold statements before you have the experience to do so accurately. It is always best for a person to listen more than talk, and especially when they have the least experience.

My post makes it clear that equipment is a big part of what makes a winner, but not all.

My post was also clear that your first time score was nothing to be ashamed of. But it is also a reality check for you. By the way, if someone gave you the impression that your score was higher then all the other first time shooters, they were trying to be kind. I assume from your comments, "But still from what i was told I beat mostly everybody else's first time score (which i found hard to believe)who had way more expensive rifles than i had.. So what does that say ??" you are stating that your natural ability exceeds the others? I believe you had a 13 first match. Len had 8 his first match of 2007 I think. Doug had a 15 his first match. Those are the only first match scores that I remember at Port in 2007. I know Windbag, Keyrigger and I all had mid to upper 40's our first match. That really means nothing. One of the top shooters, MAC, started with around a 8 his first match. He is quick to encourage first time shooters, and uses that first score of his to do so.

Please understand we want to see you shoot and have fun. Let's enjoy some good jesting, but always be respectful of the accomplishments of those who have excelled in the sport.

Last edited by CJN on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:38 pm 

CJN, I don't want this to get any more than it already is.. I DO NOT claim to be an expert shooter, an expert in FT or an expert with anything gun related. I have enough experience with actually shooting guns to get me by for what I do.

The comment i said about my first score was something that was told to me so I was just stating that. Honestly I don't care if I scored 1st or last, to me it's all about getting out and doing something with a hobby I enjoy with others.. I didn't expect to score good anyways, even if I was shooting FT for a long time, i didn't have the hardware to do it. Just for fun I would like to see one of the experienced FT shooters go through a match with my QB to see how much a score difference there is, it would interesting to see.

If airguns was my main hobby then maybe I would be more willing to drop a load of cash on a nice PCP/ ft rig but since i'm into WAY to many other hobbies that take up my "savings" haha I can't do it.. This past week has been terrible, $1000 on model aircraft and R/C truck stuff :shock: I have to learn to tone down my bad impulse buying habits.. I don't have a money tree in the backyard.. If any of you do please by all means tell me where to get one! :lol:

Here's the thing, I Love shooting guns whether it's targets or actually hunting which is what I grew up doing alot of. My main passion has always been real firearms not airguns but airguns are still fun and fill the gap when the firearms can't always be shot.

I have met some real nice people the past year because of this airgun stuff( Windbag,Sniper,Parker101,Canshooter,Mac,Yourself CJN,Keyrigger, and well Suprmatic i've known him since I was a kid, and whoever else I forgot to mention) I don't want any hard feelings to develop out of this crap because in the end it's supposed to be about having a good time with guys doing what we all like doing.. If i offended any of you I didn't mean it, I wasn't trying to piss on your parades.. I'll choose my words more wisely next time LOL ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:50 pm 

rvd wrote:
...I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you...From what i see the hardest thing with FT is dialing in the scope for different ranges...

"Let's get ready to RUUMMMBLE!!!" :lol:
RVD, you strike me as one of those guys with natural athletic ability who excels at whatever they try. (guys like me hate guys like you! :wink: ) If you took Pirellip's rig and shot a match with it at the start of this season, you'd probably do very well. I guarantee you though, by the end of the season you'd be doing better and setting your sights even higher! That's what FT has become for me. I really don't care about the other scores, just how I can improve my score in a given class. Overall, FT has made me a better marksman and I really enjoy learning from and hanging with the more experienced guys. They don't feel threatened by me (because I suck and I bring donuts...) and I don't feel threatened by them because I have them all beat in the looks department! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:00 pm 

rvd wrote:
CJN, I don't want this to get any more than it already is.. I DO NOT claim to be an expert shooter, an expert in FT or an expert with anything gun related. I have enough experience with actually shooting guns to get me by for what I do.

The comment i said about my first score was something that was told to me so I was just stating that. Honestly I don't care if I scored 1st or last, to me it's all about getting out and doing something with a hobby I enjoy with others.. I didn't expect to score good anyways, even if I was shooting FT for a long time, i didn't have the hardware to do it. Just for fun I would like to see one of the experienced FT shooters go through a match with my QB to see how much a score difference there is, it would interesting to see.

If airguns was my main hobby then maybe I would be more willing to drop a load of cash on a nice PCP/ ft rig but since i'm into WAY to many other hobbies that take up my "savings" haha I can't do it.. This past week has been terrible, $1000 on model aircraft and R/C truck stuff :shock: I have to learn to tone down my bad impulse buying habits.. I don't have a money tree in the backyard.. If any of you do please by all means tell me where to get one! :lol:

Here's the thing, I Love shooting guns whether it's targets or actually hunting which is what I grew up doing alot of. My main passion has always been real firearms not airguns but airguns are still fun and fill the gap when the firearms can't always be shot.

I have met some real nice people the past year because of this airgun stuff( Windbag,Sniper,Parker101,Canshooter,Mac,Yourself CJN,Keyrigger, and well Suprmatic i've known him since I was a kid, and whoever else I forgot to mention) I don't want any hard feelings to develop out of this crap because in the end it's supposed to be about having a good time with guys doing what we all like doing.. If i offended any of you I didn't mean it, I wasn't trying to piss on your parades.. I'll choose my words more wisely next time LOL ..

Hey RVD, its all good. Let's just have a great time shooting.

Please don't worry about what you are shooting! I felt really bad when you didn't even want to take your gun out at that Port match, and strongly encouraged you to do so. In my opinion, you will do real well with your QB in the new Hunter class. Read up on the rules for that class and get ready. Various classes allow competition on an equal level. That's why we came up with these new classes to try to allow birds of a feather to flock together. None of the classes are better than another, but they are all different, and will all be challenging!

Peace brother. Looking forward to seeing you out at Port soon.

Happy Shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:10 pm 

windbag wrote:
They don't feel threatened by me (because I suck and I bring donuts...) and I don't feel threatened by them because I have them all beat in the looks department! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHA :lol: That might work to your advantage Windbag, keep bringing them donuts, especially apple fritters and boston creams LOL By mid season you'll slowly see their scores start to drop haha they'll be so winded from walking lane to lane they won't be able to keep steady. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:54 pm 

CJN wrote:
We have bad days. Some days we are more shaky than others. Some days our mind is just not there. Some times we range a target inaccurately, and miss.

I've been there, and done all that.... :lol: .

Keyrigger wrote:
If there is no learning curve, I presume that when you get your first FT PCP rifle and scope, you will have no questions for guys like me, MAC, or Supr.

:shock: Not me - I'm still learning...... :wink:
The very best equipment in the world means little unless the shooter knows exactly how to extract the utmost from that equipment. Then it is a matter of overcoming Murphy's Law, and the above quoted obstacles.... :lol:

CJN wrote:
The best a person can do is rise to their potential. Wanting to best your best is the attitude of a true competitor.

Absolutely !!! After all, thats all that some of us have.... :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:08 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

CJN wrote:
Right now even Tom has the feeling that "it's impossible to miss" with such a high end PCP like the Steyr. That is exactly the comment Tom made to me the first time he shot my Steyr. He honestly felt that way, but in all good conscience he was wrong. What experienced PCP shooters have found out it that the weakness is in the human side, and not usually the equipment.

What, you mean after spending all this time and money there' s still a chance I'll miss?? :shock: *sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:09 pm 
Supporting Members

THIS is the way all threads should be!!! Different opinions without egos blowing everything to hell.

By the way, I can shoot circles around all of you :P Kidding!!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:14 pm 

pirellip wrote:
CJN wrote:
Right now even Tom has the feeling that "it's impossible to miss" with such a high end PCP like the Steyr. That is exactly the comment Tom made to me the first time he shot my Steyr. He honestly felt that way, but in all good conscience he was wrong. What experienced PCP shooters have found out it that the weakness is in the human side, and not usually the equipment.

What, you mean after spending all this time and money there' s still a chance I'll miss?? :shock: *sigh*

Doesn't reality suck? :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:04 pm 

pirellip wrote:
CJN wrote:

I still vividly remember the day I brought home by first PCP, Air Arms S300 .177. I remember shooting at my 50 yard 3/4 spinner and hitting it 30 some times in a row. I quickly called one of my best buddies and told him "I can't miss with this thing"! I went to my first FT competition and missed 17! The feeling that comes from upgrading from a recoiling springer to a PCP is amazing! Now magnum springers scare me, lol. Just imagine what would happen if I shot a center fire! Funny how they are all safe queens now!

If you miss Tom, you can blame the target. :D since you have one of the best FT guns available! I'm confident you will do very well with it, even with faulty targets!

One time you told me you would only own 1 airgun. Temptation struck, and now you have 2! Two of the very best springers and PCP's that can be bought for FT. Now I hope you don't let the springer collect dust when you experience how well that Steyr shoots!

Take care buddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:06 pm 

notec wrote:
THIS is the way all threads should be!!! Different opinions without egos blowing everything to hell.

I'm quite happy to see it turn out this way too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:21 pm 

notec wrote:

notec, #$%^&* beat me too it, this should be stickied to highlight how people can intellectually sort things out in an adult manner.

i have enjoyed reading this discussion guys even though i do not own/shoot FT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:16 am 

One thing not to forget is the wind...Even with Steyrs and such most of these old guys have a lot of trouble with the wind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:54 am 

canshooter wrote:
most of these old guys have a lot of trouble with the wind!

So just stay upwind of the "offending" shooter..... :P :lol: :lol: