Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:45 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

This is British based, so it does not show harness use, but these are good fundamentals, great for HFT and all other disciplines too - I learned something from this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sa7ODrtWMY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:34 pm 

Very helpful video...when shooting HFT, is it the shooter's choice which position to shoot from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:07 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Very helpful video...when shooting HFT, is it the shooter's choice which position to shoot from?

Here are some quotes from the CAFTA rules that will answer your question regarding Hunter class shooting positions:
- Bum bags and cushions are allowed to be used by all competitors, provided they are not higher than 6” (15cm). All competitors may use a shooting mat to keep their clothes from getting dirty or wet.
- Portable seats, which are 18” (460cm) or less in height, will be allowed in the PCP, Piston, and Hunter Divisions, provided that they do not have a backrest.
- Portable seats may not be used as an air gun support in PCP Limited, Piston Limited, and the Hunter Division.
- Straps or harnesses, that improve a shooter’s position, will be allowed in the PCP and Piston Divisions. These will not be allowed in PCP Limited, Piston Limited, and the Hunter Division.
- Bipods, crossed sticks, and monopods will be allowed in the PCP and Piston Divisions. These will not be allowed in PCP Limited, Piston Limited, and the Hunter Division.
- Any shooting position is allowed, but some lanes may be set up for a forced position, such as standing, kneeling, or prone.
- When a shooter is not in a forced position, natural support may be gained from the course, such as resting on logs or branches at the shooting position,unless Division or Sub-division rules prohibit its use (Hunter class does allow natural support).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:51 am 

Thanks, I had read that before, but clearly didn't pay enough attention. Are these "bum bags" commercially available, or do you guys just improvise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:03 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Pumpmaster wrote:
Thanks, I had read that before, but clearly didn't pay enough attention. Are these "bum bags" commercially available, or do you guys just improvise?

You can purchase them from a few U.S. online stores such as Pyramid Air, or you can make one (can you operate a sewing machine, or know someone who can?) they're not very hard to make. Look at the video to see what they look like. Should be 6" thick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:30 pm 

Can I suggest that the bum bag "can" be up to 6" thick, per the rules, but you may find that when you get right down to it, what ever is comfortable for your particular style of shooting, should be the fill level. I have found that my 4" thick bag, is a bit more comfortable at 2.5" thick than the level that it is filled to now. It supported more of me than it does now, lol. You can adjust the angle that you engage targets with the amount of filler you put in the bag. I have seen where many shooters have filled their bags to the maximum allowed under their rules because they could, and later, when they tried a bag with a slightly lower angle, they found greater comfort. For me, it is the amount of drop my head must make, from an upright position, to resting on the cheekpiece behind the scope. The lower the bag, the less of an angle my neck must take.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:13 pm 

Thanks for the elaboration Keyrigger. Unfortunately I have to make all of my decisions right now based on advice rather than experience! I can't wait to finally get out and start testing my gear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:07 pm 

The video is good except that the instructor does not take into consideration... a bad back/ neck , arthritis , bersitis or old war, sports injuries. The guy shooting cranes his neck down about 5 inches. It looks very uncomfortable. I will take his advise but you need to do what works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:54 pm 

The big guy talking is Terry Doe, he is the new editor of Airgun World magazine. I shot against him quite a few years ago, he was on the English team and I was on the Scotland team (I did beat him :D ), nice guy too.

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix/

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix08