Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:16 pm 

Yesterday was one of those rare days that there was not a crowd of people shuffling through once the range was cleaned, and before Silhouette started. Four of us sat down to some serious air rifle testing, everything from a Hammerli 850 to the newest rifle from Air Arms. I have seen, but never held or shot, the Air Arms EV2 and I will tell you that its price tag might be a shock to some, but it is an FT ready rifle (sans scope) if I have ever seen one. Also on hand were a pair of Air Arms MPR's (match stock version of the AA S400), a pair of Steyrs, an AA S400, an HW 97, a FWB 300, an AA Pro Target, and a USFT. The air got really heavy with lead, and the main reason for getting in that club, was to have a fairly quiet environment to check pellets out of rifles at 25 and 50 yards.

A number of surprises came out, with the clear winner in three rifles being the JSB Exact 4.53. What boggles the mind about pellet sizing is a rifle, that shoots 4.50 diameters very well, and 4.52 diameter like a shotgun, turns around and shoots 4.53 diameter like a precision laser fly de-nutter. What became very apparent is that a couple of our FT rifles like to be cleaned after a fill-up of the air cylinder. This does not surprise me, but it did one or two others. To see the precision that these rifles can obtain with the right pellet, a resonable bench setup, or a good FT position, is truly remarkable. Hitting a 3/8" KZ at over 35 yards is a really neat thing to happen once, but to repeat it, re-inforces how accurate these rifles can be when shot off the knee. A miss does happen, but there are times when you have to ask yourself, was that your ability to do that, or was it a passing lucky shot?

I got to have a session with a rifle that I have set me sights on as the rifle I would love to own, but really don't need. The Pro Target is one of those rifles that says to me "Field Target", kind of like the Anschutz Fortner action rifle says "Biathalon". It is nowhere near as well fitted to me as my Steyr, but ever since I saw Brian Johnson's at the Nationals in 2003, I have said that if I ever had the money to spend on a rifle that I wanted because I love the looks of it, that was the rifle. I would have a few niggles to look after, to set it up to my style of trigger release, but that is my preference. I do not like mushy second stage beginning points, but prefer a solid, but light, pressure point for the second stage of a trigger. I know of at least two shooters that swear my trigger is lighter than theirs, but I can't feel the second stage point they have set up on their triggers. I can explain it, but that should be reserved for another topic.

Thanks to the three of you that made it out and hope to do it another time.

When you are long winded, is that a sign of Wisdom or Old Age?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:42 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

All I can say is ....Lucky Bugger!!!!!...... :lol:
Glad you made time to Enjoy the best part of the Sport....SHOOTING THE GUNS!.... 8) :D :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:16 pm 

Thanks Keyrigger; that certainly was a great day in the life of an airgun shooter. Having no wind to consider certainly speeds up the setup of the scope and gun combo. Getting to dial in your own guns is great fun and very necessary for FT, but getting to shoot everyone else's gun is pure icing.

I think we shot guns for about eight hours and shot the breeze for three more hours. I was able to work on and get a pretty stable sitting position without the harness, so I may do some limited class shooting and some Hunter division shooting this season. You know what they say about variety.

Now I have to get out in the wind and continue to develop the skill of holding in the correct spot at different wind velocities and distances. Sounds like some more long days of airgun shooting. I will suffer through it.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:12 pm 

Sounds like you had a great time, I love to get out and have a go with other guns too.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the range and had it all to myself for 3 hours... it was just great to sort out where my aim points are but it's even better when you can shoot with a few mates.

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix/

http://www.freewebs.com/shootingpix08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:25 pm 

Thanks from me as well, Keyrigger. That was the first chance I had to try the RWS 850 and the AA S400E at ranges beyond 10 yards.
It is apparent that I have to do some more experimenting with pellet selection for the RWS 850 for long range shooting - the JSBE Jumbos were good, but not to my satifaction at 50 yards.
The S400E, on the other hand, simply amazed me at all ranges from 10 through 50 yards - what an awesome rifle it is.
It was also very gratifying, after having gotten my ranging sorted out for the FWB 300S, to be able to pick off those empty 9mm shell casings at 50 yards - woo hoo !!!!
I resisted the opportunity to shoot the EV2....... I simply can't afford to be lusting after yet another gun......... :cry: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:35 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Suprmatic wrote:
Life is too short to deny yourself a few pleasures.... 8)

Hey Suprmatic can you say EV2.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:54 pm 

Parker_101_ wrote:
Suprmatic wrote:

Not without a severe chastising from SWMBO - aka - "the ways and means commitee". :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:52 am 

Let me add my thanks to Keyrigger as well.

I had a super time shooting with you guys! The friendships we are developing through our Field Target sport is great. I hope the Canadian FT family continues to grow and experience more good times like this.

The indoor facility was really cool. It is so hard to find a windless day for true windage zeroing. The ability to hang the targets at various yardages was also brilliant.

Thanks so much guys for your help testing my rifles. Even though we shot for near eight hours, I didn't feel I was completely finished yet. Some rifles were being tested from scratch, with up to six brands of pellets being compared. Other tests were comparing the groups with lubed pellets verses straight out of the tin. All rifles needed to have the windage and elevation zeroed and range clicks confirmed. Lots of work taking lots of time!

The shock of the day for me was a subject Keyrigger already mentioned...pellet preferences. It is amazing how the same barrel will group the same pellet (JSB Exacts) so differently when the differences are very small pellet outside diameter measurements (JSB Exacts 4.50, 4.51, 4.52, 4.53, for example).

It was also a surprise how my guns heavily favored the JSB's over the Crosman Premiers. These two pellets have been top performers for years, and lately some in the US have stated that the recent JSB craze has only been hype, and usually the Premiers still fly better. The Steyr truly splattered the CP 10.5 die 7's at 51 yards, while the 10.2 JSB Heavies produces incredible groups. The JSB's performed best in all four guns, regardless of what pellet weight.

I was really pleased to see Tim's new FT position. When reviewing his groups, he has indeed found a stable position without the harness.

Next time I will remember to bring a lunch. I just can't go 11 hours without eating...that is a sure way to see my groups deteriorate along with my state of mind! Thanks for the apple Tim!

Lets do it again soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:03 pm 

Suprmatic wrote:
Parker_101_ wrote:
Suprmatic wrote:

Not without a severe chastising from SWMBO - aka - "the ways and means commitee". :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Supermatic, here are a few pictures for you to share with your wife.

Have your pick...black, blue, or red. Red and Blue will cost a little more and take longer to receive, as they are more rare and a special order.

Good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:01 pm 

Sorry I missed it guys...some of us have to work during the week!

CJN you trouble maker! fancy a fellow in your line of work instigating marital problems for such a poor old easily influenced guy like supr!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:10 pm 

canshooter wrote:
Sorry I missed it guys...some of us have to work during the week!

CJN you trouble maker! fancy a fellow in your line of work instigating marital problems for such a poor old easily influenced guy like supr!

:D

Father, forgive me, for I have sinned!

Looking forward to seeing you soon canshooter.

I bet that TX is ready to perform on the 26th!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:03 pm 

Today, I had an opportunity to introduce a troup of Explorers to a few facets of airgun shooting. The main reason they were there was to take part in a demonstration and participation of rimfire rifle shooting, but they got to see my Daisy 499 Match BB rifle, Steyrs LG 100 FT and Match, and my LP 10 pistol. Their jaws were all dragging on the floor as non of them (troup leaders included) had ever seen anything like that set of air guns. I also gave a hand as a one on one Instructor/Range Officer, so let me tell you, I am one whooped puppy. I have even more to do tomorrow and on Monday, so like the saying goes, "It doesn't rain, it POURS".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:05 pm 

Dog-gone, CJN - you just had to post a pic of that blue EV2, didn't ya'??? That is drop-dead gorgeous!!!!!!

canshooter wrote:
........a poor old easily influenced guy like supr!

Well, I may be easy, but I'm not cheap.... :P :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:18 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

CJN wrote:
Next time I will remember to bring a lunch. I just can't go 11 hours without eating...that is a sure way to see my groups deteriorate along with my state of mind! Thanks for the apple Tim!

Didn't you guys notice the candy bar machine in the lounge? Or do you only eat healthy foods? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:52 pm 

I think I have used those one-armed bandits two or three times in nearly 24 years of membership at that club, and I lost at least once to the pop machine. We were just too wrapped up to realize we hadn't taken a break, and by the time we did, it was getting near the end. Pizza was discussed, but it might have been better to send one of use out for sustainance, like small sandwiches at Tim's. Next time.