Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Offhand FT
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:31 pm 

Since the other thread was kind of hijacked and changed to this topic, there might as well be a thread dedicated to it.

The idea of offhand field target with restricted equipment is a really good one. Groups in Pennsylvanian and NY have been doing it for well over ten years now. Ray Appelles has been having offhand class in his matches for a long time as well. In fact many FT clubs have offhand classes with awards if there are enough interested shooters, say three.

At the last match in Waterloo, Canshooter I think, brought forward the idea of an all offhand match late in the Fall, after the scheduled matches have finished. Breaking out the squirrel hunting rigs was suggested.

So RVD your idea is good, but far from new. I hope will invite everyone when you get a match set up. If you need some targets, let us klnow. I know many like the challenge of shooting offhand, even if they are not particularly good at it. Please keep us posted.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:50 pm 

Hey Tim, I never thought I invented the idea, I just thought it would be fun to shoot matches this way with some changes to the rules..

I'll definitely let you know when it's time. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:15 pm 

It really is not a change in rules. The Canadian FT rules state that classes can be created based on the interest of shooters. Off hand, lower power guns, match guns, sporter rifles, pistols, scope limitations, open sights, and so on, with a variety of combinations, have all been shot at FT matches all over America. One match was recently shot with Daisy Red Riders.

I look forward to hearing about your next match.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:48 pm 

Mac wrote:
It really is not a change in rules. The Canadian FT rules state that classes can be created based on the interest of shooters. Off hand, lower power guns, match guns, sporter rifles, pistols, scope limitations, open sights, and so on, with a variety of combinations, have all been shot at FT matches all over America. One match was recently shot with Daisy Red Riders.

Tim

LOL Red Riders? Tim I think you just gave me an Idea!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:01 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Lots of options..Daisy Red Riders....LOL....
I shot a personal best this season and it was done at the last match in Waterloo standing offhand from start to finish..... It was a hoot to shoot... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:53 pm 

ok what does off hand mean ? i keep hearing the term bandied about but dont know what it is , does it mean that you are just holding the rifle without any support?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:10 pm 

rvd wrote:
Mac wrote:

Tim

LOL Red Riders? Tim I think you just gave me an Idea!!!!

I don't have a Red Ryder, so could I use a 102 year old BSA Lincoln Jeffries Pattern air rifle instead? Oops, wait - that has a rifled barrel......OK, how about a 140 year old Eisenwerke Columbia? It has a smoothbore barrel........... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:39 pm 

gammawolf wrote:
ok what does off hand mean ? i keep hearing the term bandied about but dont know what it is , does it mean that you are just holding the rifle without any support?

That is correct. It is standing with you supporting the rifle with your hands and body, similar to the Olympic 10M rifle shooting. Most of us do not put on shooting jackets and pants. :lol:
Can you see guys on a day where the temperature is close to 30C with all that stuff on.

I'm sure RVD would laugh at the thought of allowing all that stuff. Pants, a t-shirt and whatever shoes you normally wear would be the order of the day for me. Some guys use a glove on their non trigger hand and a sling and that would not bother me any. Cloves and slings are often used while hunting.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:35 am 

ahhh i see but you would think that a true marksman would be able to hit the target without all that stuff on anyway, i would love to see someone do what these olympians do without a jacket and harness i mean i can hit a bullseye consistantly at ten meters with my qb79 just holding it. now the shots arent dead centre but still in the black circle (about 80% of the time anyway lol) and heck i just started shooting , though i do hold my rifle differently than they do , bend my left arm at the elbow and cradle the rifle there tuck the rifle stock into my shoulder and rest my left hand on my right arm to stabilize everything maybe kind of unconventional but hey it works for me :)

Last edited by gammawolf on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:38 am 

gammawolf, don't misunderstand this as a knock towards the guys who use that stuff in FT.. You'd have to goto one of their matches to see some of the shots the good shooters make, even with that gear it's still not easy.. You have to know how to rangefind and adjust your optics... That alone is a science.. Like I said before, we just wanted to do something different..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:49 am 

no no i didnt think that and your probably right i would have to see a match live to see exactly what they have to do , and i realize that there must be unbelievable mental stress and i know that has to effect their being able to hold still etc , so umm maybe just disregard my previous comment as being kind of nooby arrogance as popping targets in my basement is much different than shooting a competition match though i would like to try competeing lol oh and i didnt mean to disrespect the ft guys i know rangefinding is a science that i have yet to begin to master i was thinking more about the 10m stuff where you are not rangefinding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:30 am 

The "10" for air rifle in the Olympics is about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. The "9" is about 5/32", the "8" about 13/32" and we are not up to a half inch yet.

I certainly did not mean to disrespect the Olympic athletes; they are so steady that it amazes me. That stuff just seems out of place in FT, especially an offhand hunter style match.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:48 am 

The hardest discipline in Field Target for me are the standing shots. No question at all, a standing match would be the most difficult match yet.

That said, no legitimate regular FT match would ever be standing only. At the 2007 US Nationals and 2007 World Championship which was held in the US, 8 out of the 60 possible points were from standing and kneeling shots (4 each). That is usually the most at any serious FT match match in North America.

FT is target shooting, not hunting. Some people are confusing this. Again, FT is not hunting. FT clubs around the world have offered a Hunter Division for those who are not caught up in the equipment race and want a slightly more "hunter like" equipment setup. But even yet...Hunter FT is still target shooting, not hunting.

As the equipment gets better and better, the kill zone sizes keep getting smaller. Expect to see 1/4in KZ's out to 12 yards, and 3/8 out to 25 yards periodically. For a top FT shooters when they practice they try to stack 1 hole groups at 25 yards, and sub 1/2in. groups at 50 yards. Such groups would not be possible for almost any standing shooter.

In the nature of competition there will be people who try to master any sport. The same is true for FT. Very high levels of ability will be found at any established FT venue. Yet although this proficient FT has accomplished a level of achievement, he still may be a poor hunter. The two are different, and always will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:54 pm 

wow the period at the end here. ok then i see how that would be difficult at 10 meters i "stand" corrected , but id still like to try :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:06 pm 

Here is an offical olympic 10m air gun target.

http://www.glockfaq.com/targets/olympic ... _rifle.pdf

Beeman P17 with Tasco red dot