Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: NO SALES TO MINORS
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:55 am 
Site Admin

- It is against forum rules to sell airguns to minors without parental consent.
- If you knowingly sell an airgun to an underaged member you will be banned from the forums for a length of time.

Thank you and have a good day,
Rick

Post subject: Re: NO SALES TO MINORS
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:07 am 

Is their anything we can do about the bogus deal I got involved in, ie find the guy, track the IP , get a real name....??
Thanks eh!

BSA Superstar Magnum 2
umarex 92fs x2, Sig 225, S&W m&p
crosman 1322

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:21 pm 

This means you got to make sure my parents know.. because of course I'm sixteen.

Tight, but the law.

Ryan

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:41 pm 

Dirty_Monster wrote:
This means you got to make sure my parents know.. because of course I'm sixteen.

Same here. My parents are fine with it. Most minors have no problems enjoying this hobby safely and responsibly. I started shooting at 9 and never got in any trouble at all but there's always a few idiot teens who do dumb stuff like shooting cars that give us a bad rep.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:39 pm 

Moo wrote:
Dirty_Monster wrote:

Same here. My parents are fine with it. Most minors have no problems enjoying this hobby safely and responsibly. I started shooting at 9 and never got in any trouble at all but there's always a few idiot teens who do dumb stuff like shooting cars that give us a bad rep.

Whether you are an idiot or a responsible person makes no difference, it is against the law in Ontario for minors to buy and sell air guns or to use them without adult supervision. You asked for a link to prove this and here it is,,, http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... 0i37_e.htm ,,, The credit for finding it goes to another member.

More info here,,, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27532

As you will see the law was very hard to find and even the government officials that I spoke to did not know where to find it.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:27 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

so what counts as parental consent?
an 18 year olds signiture on delivery?

:)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:51 pm 

A responce to one of my inquiries arrived today ,,,, from CFO.Ontario@ontario.ca

My inquiry,,,,,

"Hello,

It is my understanding that to purchase and possess an under 500 fps air gun (BB or Pellet) or air soft in Ontario an individual must be 18 years of age or older. This seems to be common knowledge and I am one of those who supports this standard, however, it is difficult to educate others of this fact due to there being no written record of this law that I can find.

I have done a extensive internet search and cannot find any Ontario government site that spells out the regulations. Can you provide me with this info in written form?

Thank you.

George Ewen
Cochrane ON"

The response,,,,,

File Reference 677 00

"Mr. Ewen:

The Imitation Firearms Regulation Act, 2000, S.O. 2000, Chapter 37 is the reference source you are seeking. It is a short statute of about 4 pages in length. You can obtain it from the Internet by conducting a search of the Google search engine. I suggest that you query Imitation Firearms Regulation Act.

Chantal L. Trahan
Policy and Communications Officer
Chief Firearms Office - Ontario
Tel: 705-329-5524 or 1-800-731-4000, ext. 7544
Fax: 705-329-5623
E-mail: chantal.trahan@ontario.ca"

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:13 pm 

Quote:
it is against the law in Ontario for minors to buy and sell air guns or to use them without adult supervision

To clarify, I believe the Imitation Firearms Regulation Act linked to above only applies to sales by businesses. Sales not "in the course of running a business" are not regulated.

Furthermore, I don't believe that parental permission is enough. I think the sale by a business would have to be to an adult such as a parent. What the adult does with it after that is not regulated.

I have found no restrictions on the use of sub 500fps airguns, which apply specifically to minors. (ie the criminal code provisions apply to everyone)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:21 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

it still seems cloudy to me, legally

i understand the forum rules

but if i wanted to buy from this forum is a parental signature on delivery enough?

:)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:00 pm 

This act seems quite straightforward, but it only applies to imitation or deactivated firearms, and convertible starter pistols, and not airguns that are specifically airguns, and look like such. On first read, the only part that applies to individuals, is also the deactivated firearms part.

None of this changes the policy of the Forum though, and as a private enterprise, the forum is free to set whatever policies that it wants, so long as those policies don't run afoul of the federal or provincial human rights charters.

Thanks for the law link by the way, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:56 am 

auctully the regulated law does still apply even afterward. its is by law a parents responisibility to to be and to take responsability for his or her own childs actions until their 18th birthday,now if a parent wants to be an idot and let the kid have free run before then. well so be it but if the kid gets in crap the parent is responsibil for said kids actions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:17 pm 

So are you saying if the kids have permission from the parents that the kids are allowed to have these airguns?

WINCHESTER 500X
PPK/S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:44 pm 

74sickness wrote:
So are you saying if the kids have permission from the parents that the kids are allowed to have these airguns?

There is no law specifically against a minor 'owning' an airgun <500 fps. You must be 18 to buy one, or in my case my parents will 'buy' it, I pay them, and it's technically mine. If the gun is used in a safe, controled and supervised manor I see no harm in, or law against a kid owning/shooting an airgun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:47 pm 

see im 15 years old and my parents have no problem with me owening a few airguns im always safe with them and just shoot cans but its everyone else thats uses them as weapons that give us a bad reputation.

WINCHESTER 500X
PPK/S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 pm 

"Bad reputation" aside, individuals who participate in improper use of air guns could be anyone, not just people under 18 are subject to conducting foolish acts. First of all when individuals say things like "so long as air guns are used in a safe fashion I don’t see a problem" well whose idea of safe are we talking about? That can be a large generalization, what an individual considers safe may not be so. Furthermore the fact remains on this forum you must be 18 to buy or sell air guns, or have parental consent confirmed. Yes it is partially a "safety" issue, but its policy and practice here on CAF and should be followed.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next