Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:08 pm 

Todd makes good points really which im pretty much in agreement with.
My judgement maybe clouded slightly but i always found the Daisy 717 range very underated for their price.
It is more muzzle heavy and doesnt take a scope, so Todd probably makes the most sense.
The Daisy is just one quiet and sweet shooter which im fond of.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:22 pm 

If you can hold out until the next Pistol FT match, there will probably be one of everything being discussed here for you to try...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:29 pm 
Site Moderator

Hey Stephen... I heard the B-Square mount for the IZH-46 will work on the Daisy 7X7 (model BS17900). Custom mounts are available too.

http://home.att.net/~jjaxelrod/Tastes_Like_Chicken.jpg

http://www.airguns.net/reviews_daisy747.php

http://home.att.net/~jjaxelrod/air.html

Cheers,
Todd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:43 pm 

Thanks Todd,
I actually knocked up a ramp for myself for informal garden stuff but tend to use it with plain opens at the club.
Im aware that a couple of mount suppliers offer specials for this range but i was really meaning that it doesnt take scopes naturally like the 40 does.
There is also the element of greater height with non integral mounting ramp and mounts on top, where the 40 is always going to win here.
There is similar for the FAS 604 and the Baikal (B&M) but i could not really recommend fitting the Gamo Compact with one.
The plastic top strap seems softer and already prone to slight flexing even without the extra leverage of a scope and mount.
Infact i might steer potential buyers away in favour of these other medium priced models.

Some years back, i also tried a Duo and an Airmatch. Both very good actually but without the finesse of the FAS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:14 pm 

You guys are not helping me.... Keep me second guessing myself... I need to shoot them to make my decision...

Who has all of them so I can try them?

Which one is the fastest?

I wish airguns were like bows and you could try before you buy :mrgreen:

live each day as if it were your last...learn as if you would live forever

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:37 pm 

If I could find a source for them, I'd also consider the Webley Alecto. :P :P :lol: :P :P

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

Parents spend the first part of a child's life teaching him to walk and talk, and the rest of his childhood trying to get him to sit down and shut up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:47 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Randy wrote:
If I could find a source for them, I'd also consider the Webley Alecto. :P :P :lol: :P :P

Me too please, Rand 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:39 am 

Randy wrote:

Keeping my eyes open for that one... :wink:

http://webley.co.uk/press-release-weble ... %E2%80%9C/

To whet your appetite:

Quote:
Today I collected my Webley Alecto Pistol which I have been waiting for over a month.

First impressions were very good, it came in a neat plastic carry case with a couple of accessories i.e a cleaning rod, an adjustment driver, and a bottle of gun oil.

Very clear and precise instructions so even a complete idiot would understand them hopefully.

On taking the pistol out of the carry box it felt nice in the hand, (this by the way is a large pistol) so off I went down to the range, it was raining like hell and very windy, after about 30 mins of messing about with it just plinking targets I decided to go home, set up my crony and see what power it was putting out.

This is a pneumatic pistol and operates in the same way as the weihrauch 45, I pulled the cocking section once loaded a pellet (exactly the same as 45) fired at my target and was off centre by about 4".

I repeated this operation and kept adjusting the sights to suit myself, eventually on target. I then pumped the cocking lever twice and fired at my target just to see if the aim off had changed with more power, exactly the same.

I then set up the crony with the following results.

1 Pump gave me a muzzle velocity of 389.5 fps using Diablo Field at 8.4g which equates to 2.83 ft lbs.

2 Pumps gave me 507.1 fps which equates to 4.7 ft lbs.

3 Pumps gave me 522.5 fps which equates to 5.09 ft lbs.

3 pumps takes you to max power, extra pumps make no difference to the power output and may damage the pistol.

The butt is adjustable as is the trigger for pull strength and also right and left so it fits your finger perfectly.

I know that with use the fps will creep up so how do I rate it.

I was really surprised at the tightness of the shots taken, it is as accurate as the Weihrauch 45 (never thought that I would say that) there is no kick at all with this gun but it is harder to load than the 45, but having said that it is a muscle builder

I like how it shoots and it fits my hand perfectly, do I prefer it to the 45 no, but it is in the short term a very close second, only time will tell if it is really good. the 45 has proved itself to be excellent fingers crossed the Webley will as well.

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/any ... istol.html

8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:20 am 

I handled the Gamo Compact at Wholesale Sports just before Christmas. Very nice pistol, with adjustable, stippled wood grips. Balance seemed alright to me. Good sights for a Gamo pistol- best I've seen in a long while. The price was a sticking point- a lot more than I'm prepared to pay. I think I'll just stick with my Mk I, and my P-17 (Chinese HW 40 clone)

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:11 am 

The Izzy is a really nice gun. I think you'll enjoy it if that is the route you plan to go. I had the B-Square mount for mine but I recently sold it as I don't use scopes. It's super accurate and I have modified the handle to suite my grip, it's very comfortable now too. One thing about the Izzy is the build quality, it is very well made, basically built to last several lifetimes of shooting. I don't find mine to be front heavy, but that is a complaint some people have, it is a weighty gun, but I find that helps to stabilize the hand a bit while shooting. I would opt for a second hand one (I got mine for $250) as they are creeping up to $500 new now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:36 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Both these pistols can be scoped by using either the Bsquare mount or Crosman 459MTC. Due to the design of the pistols, however, the mounts need to go forward on the barrel, making both pistols a decidedly muzzle heavy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:55 pm 

FLYBYU44 wrote:
The Izzy is a really nice gun. I think you'll enjoy it if that is the route you plan to go. I had the B-Square mount for mine but I recently sold it as I don't use scopes. It's super accurate and I have modified the handle to suite my grip, it's very comfortable now too. One thing about the Izzy is the build quality, it is very well made, basically built to last several lifetimes of shooting. I don't find mine to be front heavy, but that is a complaint some people have, it is a weighty gun, but I find that helps to stabilize the hand a bit while shooting. I would opt for a second hand one (I got mine for $250) as they are creeping up to $500 new now.

Do you know where I can pick up a used one?
PM me if you do...

Thanx,

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:43 pm 

Anyone ever tried to import an Izzy into Canada. I have found lots of these for sale but the US if far cheaper ($140) I am heading there at the end of the month. What is the procedure so I don't get "searched" at the border?

Thanx,
Chris