Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:09 am 

Wound'nt mind getting my hands on a Shadow/Buccaneer one day maybe I'll make my own out of a Scorpion or something..lol

Condor
Etc....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:41 am 

I owned a Scorpion in 22s. I never liked it. The gun was not balanced well to my liking, and I traded it off with no regret. It was a very powerful pistol though. IIRC, the 22s were shooting at mid 400's fps and the .177s were a touch over 500's.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:01 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

lauchlin wrote:
I just sold a Scorpion and a shadow i can say neither is a tack driver

Thanks again for the Shadow/Buccaneer Hybrid Brent. 8) A few of us were shooting it on the weekend.
I also got rid of my Scorpion. Just to big and bulky to use as a pistol. Mine had no accurracy. Not my can of beer at all. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:04 pm 

Well! if there's anymore of yous that just what to get rid of his scorpion make shure you get rid of it in my driveway! :wink: I will turn one into a Shadow/Buccaneer! :mrgreen:

Condor
Etc....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:50 pm 

I'll add my $0.02 to the fray. As most have already described it, the Scorpion is big, awkward, poorly balanced, difficult (for most folks) to cock without the removeable extension, and doesn't have the best trigger. I have had a few of them over the years, and all were about the same - very difficult, if not impossible, to shoot a decent group with.

The massive powerplant on the Scorpion sits far too high above the web of the hand to make single-hand offhand shooting even remotely capable of producing acceptable groups, even at 10M. The typical "barrel ahead of the compression chamber" recoil is just plain obnoxious, especially with the powerplant sitting so high in relation to the grip.

The Scorpion is one of the very few pistols that I never really cared much for.
You already know what I think of my HW45... :wink: :D .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:52 pm 

My HW45s are my favourite spring pistols and in the fall it's always a 45 that I take to the woods. I do have a .22 Scorpion and I don't have the issues with it that others have. I like the weight and balance of the Scorpion in fact I don't find it to be that heavy at all. It is actually lighter than my new Diana LP8 and it has a much better trigger. The only issue I have with my Scorpion (and the LP8) is that the iron sights cannot be set low enough and it shoots very high. I have a red dot on it but wish I didn't have to use one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:12 am 

Benny,
Did you try lowering the front sight blade in its housing. It is adjustable. You slacking the fixing screw and the blade adjusts up or down.
BSA designed this in because Airsporters and stuff always shot way high and people thought their barrels were bent but later this sight design allowed the adjustment.
Essentially the rearsight block was designed too bulky and couldnt be adjusted low enough. Airsporters suffered from barrels set lower than the cylinder, or in some cases tapered barrels. Thus much of BSA stuff had the rearsight too high compared to the muzzle sothey introduced the sight you should have on your Scorpion.
However, its still going to be asking a lot to match a 45 without something to tame that weight and recoil.
The trigger blade shape and weight was also quite a challenge for many.

Generally BSA guns just didnt have the precision build of their German counterparts to achieve top accuracy.
Pistons generally have loose fits around the mainspring and require lining, while guide rods were often part of the sear within the piston or rolled steel. Virtually every model quite twangy unless major tuned. The Scorpion derivatives do require work....and a stock.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:33 pm 

Yup, tried adjusting the front sight but still ended up over an inch high.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:10 pm 

Not sure there then. Could be your barrels bent or you could try heavier lead.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:52 pm 
Site Moderator

Hi Benny,

Are you shooting offhand or from a rest? Shooting from a rest will sometimes give you a high POI with a springer pistol. They bounce. Try offhand.

If you still have a high POI when shooting offhand, then maybe add a small amount to your front sight height. Maybe you could glue something on there?

Cheers,
Todd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:50 pm 

Walter the BSA Scorpion is exactly like Len said it was. I had both cals. .177 and .22. The HW 45 is more refined and balanced than the BSA pistol. My HW45 was a bit weak in the power like 455 f.p.s.in .177 so I got rid of it. Than I bought a Diana P5 magnum in .177 and it was $100.00 cheaper then the HW. ALL I did to the Diana was to deburr the inside and add moly. The trigger is 2.5 lbs. and crisp and the power is great. The Diana shoots very, very smooth for a springer. It is the best springer I ever owned for a pistol. The Scorpion feels to me like it was built by Fred Flintstone, big and clumsy. Walter even the Browning 800 shoots alot better than the Scopion. The power on the Browning is as advertised and it shoots pretty good even though the trigger pull is a bit heavy. HTH Benson.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:29 am 

Magnum, you must have had a bad 45, they will easily run 100fps higher and occasionally upto 150fps higher than the one you had.

As regard the Diana it is slightly detuned from its 7ftlbs potential for the English market but is still quite agricultural from a handling point of view. However, its internal limits and fits are better built than the BSA and is smoother and more consistant but still does not quite match a good order 45, except in potential velocity terms.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:58 am 
Site Moderator

Hi Magnumair,

Being a Canadian, your limit for the .177 HW45 is 500fps (detuned). With light RWS Hobby or Geco pellets you would likely come pretty close. If you want more power then you have to go up in calibre.

I have never tried a detuned .177 HW45. I would think it would be tame to shoot.

Cheers,
Todd