Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:31 am 

Great news mate. Very happy for you. Your new found accuracy is your christmas gift :wink:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:09 pm 

AirGunEric wrote:
Put a couple drops of Silicone Chamber Oil through the transfer port- it will help dilute whatever petroleum lube is in there causing your detonation problem and allow it to burn off/drain out more quickly. The break-in times on the detuned versions do seem to be longer than on an equivalently-powered standard springer, but I have no specific evidence of 'why' this is.

I'd suggest that the reason for this is the result of reduced adibiatic heating in the detuned guns - lower temperature = less efficient burning off of excess lubricant = longer break-in period to burn off the excess lubes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:10 pm 

Spent some more time today planking in the basement, my opionion on the bent trail AW (nonpal) is still very foggy. Never in my life has it been this difficult to get good groups at 12 yards, consistently. One set of shoots will be nice, next group just ugly! Must be a airgun thing since I`m fairly new to shootng them, and some seem to be HOLD sensitve. So I blew the dust of my Excalibur Paradox crossbow andtook a few shots, which easily is shooting a nickel at 12 yards, shootng free hand. Man I get frustraed with this rifle! GRrrrr

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177
Seneca Dragonfly MK2 .177

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:55 pm 

I put about 200 shots through my Trail NP today with mixed results. Still smokes but not quite as much as before so I will persist and see if I can get all the groups down to a dime size. I may have to try another scope as I have to keep adjusting the scope to keep on target. I don't really think the problem is the scope but something is causing the rifle to keep shifting the POI.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:05 am 

I thimk I might know what my problem is, Im not shouldering the gun consistantly! After shootng the crossbow and having great success, I wonderedif it was the way I was shooting the BENY. Since I shoot the xbow while standing and shoot the gun off a make~shift bench and got opposite extremes in accuracy, I figure it was my shouldering.

On my bench I would load the gun and rest it on the bench, then after a few seconds of calm breathing I would move to the gun and shoulder it, aim and shoot. This this where things were not keeping their consistancy! So I tried something else. Instead, I would load the gun then shoulderingit while my body position was still vertical in the sitting position ( eyes closed) and trigger elbow low. I would then rest my cheek and open my eyes, then rest the fore grip on the bench, aim and fire. my groups were averaing 3\4 inches last night with JSB Express Jumbos. sometimes even less.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:15 am 
Supporting Member 2009

In case no one has mentioned this- a spring-powered airgun is absolutely hold sensitive, and there's no way around this. As you had gotten good results previously, I know I had assumed this had been mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:23 am 

Knappr, keep us posted on your tests, I am interested to see if you can consistently get good groups just by using different holding techniques. It sounds like a parallax problem with your scope, and I am using the scope that came with the rifle, perhaps these scopes have a problem even with the AO adjustment.
AirgunEric, you are correct, although I don't have any problem with my Weihrauch HW97KT .22 cal

Last edited by Watertown on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:34 am 

Watertown...I switched back to my red dot yesterday. I also made a few adjustments t my home~made cheek peice riser as well.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:28 am 

Actually the best results that I get with my IZH-46M, (after trying many pellets)
are with the Crossman Competition from CT.
I put in a tin, two drops of oil, roll for a minute, let dry.
Must clean the barrels every 100 shots, or so.
Leaving the guns in my shop over night, were it is cold , is also very detrimental to accuracy. So now they sleep upstairs.
I know, that it may be ridiculous, but I am just reporting...

Air Pistols: Baikal IZH46M; Webley Alecto .22; Umarex Beretta 92FS; Umarex Colt 1911A1;

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:58 am 

Beretto, nothing is ridiculous if it works. When you oil your pellets do you wash them first?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:50 pm 

Watertown: I used to wash them, but lately found them pretty clean. So no washing necessary.

Air Pistols: Baikal IZH46M; Webley Alecto .22; Umarex Beretta 92FS; Umarex Colt 1911A1;

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:53 pm 

Tore up some more paper tonight, with satisfactory results. Not my best shooting but I was not getting those horrible groups, that I tend to see alot. Took a few rounds of 3`s t warm up but things were happening. By the end I shot 12 at a orange stick¯on target dot (1 inor so), 10 destroyed 70% of the dot , had one flier and one landed on the seem. I still find myself playing with the sight adjustments alot, but now that Im shouldering it differnt Im not adjust as much. I also moved my red dot all the way up the weaver rail to try make the dot look that much smaller, my tasco sits in the last two slots. Now it fits in a gun case!

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:59 am 

Was just wondering if anyone knew of a `sight level` that wuld mount to a weaver rail? Found these to be excellent training aids in the archery world so thought I would try one on the Airgun, if there is such a device. If I could find onethat the glass was mounted right on top of the rail would be perfect to use with red dot, tis would allow for target aquision and tilt control all in one qick step.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:01 pm 

Is this the type of level you are referring to?
http://www.dlairgun.com/Hawke-Accessories.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:06 pm 

Thanks Watertown! Not quite what I was imagining and unfortunatly it is a dovetail type, and it is also offset to be seen by the non scope eye. I was thinking someting that had the glass centered in weaver rail, so I it would sit right behind my red dot. I would be looking right over the top of it as I was looking at the dot. It probably doesn`t exist so I might have to get creative and make one using a old weaver type scope mount cut down flush and epoxy a level glass to it, sure sounds easy!

Spent some more time with the Beny today, still finding Im playing with the sight alot. Mainly one or two clicks this way or that, but I do get that instinctive feeling things are improving. Now the rifle has seen about 7 tins or more and is very smooth in its functions just wish the operator could be as smooth and consistant. Does anyone remember which direction you turn the main trigger screw, to reduce the overall travel. I have the GTX trig and its still at factory spec, what do all the different screws adjust? There lookst o be a really small allen type grub screw, a small screw with a straight blade and the OEM philips screw. Thanks Guys!

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next