Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:44 am 

Getting low on the pellgun oil and hate to pay the $7+ for such a small amount. I was at the hardware store and noticed that they sell air tool oil. Would this be safe to use in my airguns? I assume airtools have similar constructions, ie valves, seals, orings etc?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:48 am 

Get a jug of SAE 30 non detergent motor oil....you'll be set for a Loooooonnnggg time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:48 am 

v30 wrote:
Getting low on the pellgun oil and hate to pay the $7+ for such a small amount. I was at the hardware store and noticed that they sell air tool oil. Would this be safe to use in my airguns? I assume airtools have similar constructions, ie valves, seals, orings etc?

Works fine ................. just not for springers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:28 pm 

v30 wrote:

Doesn't LeBaron sell this stuff for under $3?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:33 pm 

I don't want to pay shipping on it. The only place locally that sells it is canadian tire and I think its almost $7 after tax.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:37 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

There is a synthetic airtool oil available as well

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:56 pm 

$ 7.00 + seems pricey ? ... anywhere ive seen pellegun oil its been$ 3.99

http://www.dlairgun.com/ - http://www.airgunhome.com/
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:04 pm 

The instructions with my Daisy pump up model clearly said to use 10, 20, or 30 weight non detergent motor oil.

I had not seen that for years but when I went out to Wal-Mart they did have one single brand of 30 wt. One is all I needed and it should last me the rest of my life. I already had an oil can. The kind that Dorothy used on the tin woodsman or similar to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:28 pm 

Yarddog wrote:
The instructions with my Daisy pump up model clearly said to use 10, 20, or 30 weight non detergent motor oil.

I had not seen that for years but when I went out to Wal-Mart they did have one single brand of 30 wt. One is all I needed and it should last me the rest of my life. I already had an oil can. The kind that Dorothy used on the tin woodsman or similar to it.

What kind of container do you use to put the oil from the quart to the airguns?

I heard of diesel engine oil or atf (probably because of the color) would do great but I'm not sure about it as I've never tried it.

Here is the PDF from crosman on it :
http://www.crosman.com/pdf/msds/MSDS-PELLGUNOIL.pdf

and here is the actual manufacturer page on the products :
http://www.le-inc.com/products/documents/8420-8450_flyer.pdf

note is says "exceptional detergency"?!?!? :shock: :o

I'm not getting most of the stuff that's writen there, there is no doubt someone who better understands all this stuff.:rolleyes:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:18 pm 

As I mentioned it is an oil can in which you squeeze a lever. Several years ago, I replaced the nozzle with a flexible hose. On the inside it is all brass with O ring seals. It has a large enough mouth that I just pour the oil from the plastic oil bottle into the oilier.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:31 pm 
Site Moderator

Crosman Pellgunoil is just 30 weight motor oil. The company of origin is Lubrication Engineers in Fort Worth texas. The product is originally called Monolec GFS Engine Oil. The company puts a red colour in the oil even when sold as Monolec. I am not the origin of this old information but rather repeating something from the American yellow forum that was posted about 10 years ago. A forum member used this oil in his workplace.

Check the data sheets.
http://www.le-inc.com/products/document ... _flyer.pdf

http://www.le-inc.com/products/document ... 50_tdb.pdf

As was mentioned, you can get 30W-ND motor oil at Walmart for cheap. It isn't tinted red but it still works great. Pick up a small shringe or dropper bottle from your local pharmacy.

Cheers,
Todd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:44 pm 

This is the brand of ND motor oil which they sell at Wal-Mart. It cost around the same as regular motor oil which surprised me as it used to be cheaper but that has been 40 years ago and I guess the small demand keeps prices high. Anyway it only cost around $2 for a lifetime supply.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:46 am 

TCooper wrote:
Crosman Pellgunoil is just 30 weight motor oil. The company of origin is Lubrication Engineers in Fort Worth texas. The product is originally called Monolec GFS Engine Oil. The company puts a red colour in the oil even when sold as Monolec. I am not the origin of this old information but rather repeating something from the American yellow forum that was posted about 10 years ago. A forum member used this oil in his workplace.

Check the data sheets.
http://www.le-inc.com/products/document ... _flyer.pdf

http://www.le-inc.com/products/document ... 50_tdb.pdf

As was mentioned, you can get 30W-ND motor oil at Walmart for cheap. It isn't tinted red but it still works great. Pick up a small shringe or dropper bottle from your local pharmacy.

Cheers,
Todd

If you take a look at said flyer it does say "Exceptional detergency" it's quite far from "non-detergent"... So I'm not sure wich one to use anymore...

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:00 am 

Daisy seems to be the main company that recommends #30 non detergent motor oil. To further complicate the issue Crosman sells pellgunoil and a separate product Silicone Chamber Oil.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:34 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Watertown wrote:
Daisy seems to be the main company that recommends #30 non detergent motor oil. To further complicate the issue Crosman sells pellgunoil and a separate product Silicone Chamber Oil.

I use 30W non detergent with my Co2's
Silicone chamber oil in my springers. Lauchlin posted a thread on a test with the stuff in one of his springers over thousands of shots. Was a good thread. will look up if I get a chance. Or someone else can find. :wink: