Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:41 pm 

Mantis wrote:
Mantis wrote:
Canadian Plinker wrote:
Thanks for the review, very nice pistol indeed! :tonqe:
Let us know how it field strips.

One small correction to my post above....you can fully disassemble this pistol in almost exactly the same way you would disassemble the real 1911 - removing the barrel out through the muzzle and not from inside the slide as I mentioned above. You can take the slide off, the recoil spring guide out, the recoil spring, the recoil spring plug, the barrel retainer, the barrel spring and the barrel itself out.

Cool, thanks! One more quick question.... are the grips removeable? These babies would look great with some nice wood grips. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:21 pm 

Canadian Plinker wrote:
Cool, thanks! One more quick question.... are the grips removeable? These babies would look great with some nice wood grips. :mrgreen:

They appear to be simply screwed on so I would imagine they are removable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:30 pm 

Canadian Plinker wrote:
One more quick question.... are the grips removeable? These babies would look great with some nice wood grips. :mrgreen:

I dug up the OEM wood grips from my Colt .45ACP and guess what? They have the same grip screw pattern and look very nice on the Tangfolio. :twisted: I was going to start my own thread but thought I would add to this one since it already existed. If it's okay with Mantis, I can post pics of the gun with the wooden grips...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:34 pm 

windbag wrote:
Canadian Plinker wrote:
One more quick question.... are the grips removeable? These babies would look great with some nice wood grips. :mrgreen:

I dug up the OEM wood grips from my Colt .45ACP and guess what? They have the same grip screw pattern and look very nice on the Tangfolio. :twisted: I was going to start my own thread but thought I would add to this one since it already existed. If it's okay with Mantis, I can post pics of the gun with the wooden grips...

Cool! 8) 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:59 pm 

windbag wrote:
Canadian Plinker wrote:

Sure, I'd love to see them!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:49 pm 

v76 wrote:
Anybody handled both the Umarex and this version? Had the former and literally hated it... might get this one if it's substantially better.

Which Umarex 1911 are you referrring to, there are three that I know of and I have all three plus the Tanfoglio and the STI Duty.

Tanfolgio 1911 Witness (BB)
Umarex Colt Government 1911 (Pellet)
Umarex Colt Special Combat (BB)
Umarex Colt Defender (BB)
STI Duty (BB)

The Tanfoglio 1911 Witness and the Umarex Colt Special Combat are beautiful looking guns and both are quite realistic. The Umarex Colt Government 1911 is a pretty good pellet shooter (rotary magazine) and it's more accurate than the rest. The Colt Defender is a fun little plinker and the STI Duty is a solid blow back pistol that is a pretty good replca of STI's modernized 1911 pistol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:49 pm 

v76 wrote:
I was referring to the Colt Govt 1911. Thanks for the comparison. I may get one someday, seeing as the loading might be less of a pain.

They are sort of apples and oranges. Both have the same look and feel as the real powder burner 1911, the Tanfoglio has the "classic look" while the Umarex has a more modern look to it. The Umarex by virtue of being a pellet shooter with a rifled barrel is considerably more accurate but the Tanfoglio being a blow-back with a much smoother trigger is much more fun to shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:29 am 

v76 wrote:
Ah! Exactly. The 1911 Govt. wasn't anywhere near accurate so I'd just want the TW for eye candy and fun plinking. Sounds like it fits the bill!

The TW is definitely a blast - you'll love it! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:17 am 

Suprmatic wrote:
v76 wrote:
Ah! Exactly. The 1911 Govt. wasn't anywhere near accurate so I'd just want the TW for eye candy and fun plinking. Sounds like it fits the bill!

The TW is definitely a blast - you'll love it! :D

I agree it's an awesome looking gun. Very realistic. Tear down is easy as well.

Daisy Red Ryder 70th edition
Crosman 357w .177
Crosman 1088 .177
GSG 92 Full auto mod
Walther ppk/s
Umarex SA177
Umarex H & K MP5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:59 pm 

The TW is definitely eye candy for a 1911 replica and with blowback it has a comfortable feel to it that is rare amongst many of the airguns available on the Canadian market.

Not as accurate as the Umarex 1911, but much more realistic in that it captures the nostalga of what we imagine to be WW2.

It reminds me of the qualities that the Umarex PPK has......lotsa fun factor, crappy accuracy but great value and the essence of the Bond experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:59 pm 

Great review. Now I'm even more motivated to buy one of these to add to my newly restarted collection!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:50 pm 

I got one two weeks ago, fantastic gun, the weight,the feel, the look and the blow back is powerful and gives illusion of a real gun.Great addition to anyone's collection.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:40 pm 

:axe: i was thinkiing to get a Colt special combat before i read your review, :rolleyes: just cant make up my mind now
:ANAL: i might take both at the end,and got kill by my wife :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:42 pm 

Hey fellas, sorry to necro an old thread, but I have a Tanfoglio 1911 in the mail, and had a few questions, (and they might be ridiculous questions, I'm not sure);

-The last time I had a co2 gun, it was the crosman UZI (late 80's)...once you put the 12g co2 in....you had to shoot what you could before it was gone....(and this was often a matter of seconds)....

I notice the 1911 mag comes out for reload....when I take the mag out, do I lose co2, or is there a valve, or a friggin' stopcock or something?...am I fighting "gas loss" while I put more BB's in?

Long story short, once I've shot 18 BB's, and take the mag out to reload, do I change the co2 as well?

-Is there any vendor that sells extra mags for a reasonable price?

-And to the OP, Mantis, are you still enjoying your 1911?

Cheers,

HS

My YouTube channel: Tactical Fail Inc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerSandw ... ature=mhum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:46 pm 

Hammer Sandwich wrote:
Hey fellas, sorry to necro an old thread, but I have a Tanfoglio 1911 in the mail, and had a few questions, (and they might be ridiculous questions, I'm not sure);

-The last time I had a co2 gun, it was the crosman UZI (late 80's)...once you put the 12g co2 in....you had to shoot what you could before it was gone....(and this was often a matter of seconds)....

I notice the 1911 mag comes out for reload....when I take the mag out, do I lose co2, or is there a valve, or a friggin' stopcock or something?...am I fighting "gas loss" while I put more BB's in?

Long story short, once I've shot 18 BB's, and take the mag out to reload, do I change the co2 as well?

-Is there any vendor that sells extra mags for a reasonable price?

-And to the OP, Mantis, are you still enjoying your 1911?

Cheers,

HS

the valve is in the mag right on top of the co2 bottle. it won't leak co2 and you can keep the remaining co2 for later if you whant.
use pil on top of evrey powerlet that way you"ll keep it top shape for a long time.

dasy 953 , ncstar 3-9x42 compact
crosman mk1
crosman quest 500x