Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

powerball wrote:
bobtodrick wrote:
Yes, talk to your town/city hall, not the RCMP.
Police inforce the law...they don't always know the exact interpretations of all the various laws.
If a police officer mistakenly tells you the you can shoot your gun in the backyard, and the law states otherwise, you'll be in a whole lot of trouble if someone complains and a police officer who actually knows the law shows up.
In court "he told me I could do it" don't hold up worth squat!

thanks alot for your advice. that's a great point. i'v seared city's website for by-laws. i didn't find anything about airguns. the firearm control mentioned thousands times about firearms. cross bow and 500+ fps airgun are firearms, but anything under 500 fps is not firearm, right? thought it's a very clear definition. i m also concerning about archery. i bought my son a toy bow at about 8lbs....can he play it in my backyard? if it's also restricted.........what kind of real world we are living :butthead:

i'll talk to some guy in the city hall someday, since i found nothing from the website.

No municipality In The LML, Legally allows the discharge of airguns in their backyard. :wink: Did a real quick search on the Coq bylaw. Check B out as it covers airguns.
Go to your local sporting good store that sells hunting licences and pickup A Fraser Valley Special Area Hunting Licence Pamphlet. Has Map of the local areas that hunting is permitted (shooting) Need to have 2 million Liability insurance to hunt in these areas though. :wink: Tough top read as PDF files don't seem to copy and paste well. So here is the linkto the original document.

http://e-civic.coquitlam.ca/cybercedms/ ... ?doc=91355

DISTRICT OF COQUITLAM

BYLAW NO. 2068, 1989

A bylaw to regulate and prohibit the use of

firearms within the Municipality

WIIEREAS under Sectinn 933 of the "Municipal Act", being Chapter

290 of the l~evJsed Statutes oll British Columbia, 1979, and amending acts,

the District of Coquitlam has the power by its Council to regulate or

p~ohihJt the discharge of firea~as in any defined area or areas in the

MnnicipalJty.

NOW THEREFORE, the Municipal Council of the District of

CoquJt]am, J.n open meeting assembled, ENACTS AS FOLLOWS:

in this Bylaw, unle~s the context requires otherwise:

"Municiy_~_l__Clerk" shall mean the duly appointed Municipal

Clerk of the District of Coquitlam;

(b) Firearm shall be deemed to include any gun using as a

propellant, explosives, compressed air or gas;

(c) "MunJc~j~Jt~ shall mean the physical area within the

District of Coquitlam.

(d) Recognlzed Range" shall mean a place approved by Council

as being suitable and safe for the discharge of firearms

against appropriate targets;

(e) "Shotgun" shall mean a firearm of smooth bore which fires

a charge of pe[lets (shot) only.

No person shall carry or transport a loaded firearm or

discharge a firearm in the District of Coquitlam except in the

;~reas shown as Schedule "A" attached hereto.

In the areas shown on Schedule "A" attached hereto, the loading

and discharge of shotguns only shall be allowed. The loading

and discharging of all other firearms being absolutely

prohibited.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:06 pm 

Strangely, I can't seem to find any info online about this topic in Vancouver. I emailed city hall and they couldn't find the info and fowarded my email to the Vancouver Police Department. It's been a few days and I still haven't heard back.

Can anyone confirm?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:30 pm 

Bloodstriker wrote:
Strangely, I can't seem to find any info online about this topic in Vancouver. I emailed city hall and they couldn't find the info and fowarded my email to the Vancouver Police Department. It's been a few days and I still haven't heard back.

Can anyone confirm?

It would be illegal to use an airgun in Vancouver. And any of the surrounding cities and municipalities

Their search engine sucks. But found this under Vancouver animal control.
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/LICANDINSP ... ldlife.htm

Animal Control Home
About Us

Animal Adoption

Adoption
Fostering
Scrapbook
Responsible Ownership
Basic Dog Obedience
Spaying & Neutering
By-laws & Regulations

Backyard Hens

Emergency Preparedness

Fees

Licences

Services

Statistics

Volunteering

Wildlife

Licences & Inspections Home
Community Services Home
Search Animal Control

Go

Animal Control
FAQs
Licence | Complaints | Animal | Adoption | Deceased | General | Wildlife

Wildlife
Contract All | Expand All

We’re having problems with crows in our neighbourhood. They’re causing a mess and they’re attacking people. What can Animal Control do?

Animal Control does not deal with nuisance wildlife. Visit the Government of British Columbia Ministry of the Environment website for more information on dealing with nuisance wildlife.

Does the City of Vancouver remove crows’ nests?

No, the Animal Control does not offer this service. Consult the yellow pages for tree services that may offer to remove crows’ nests from private property.

Can I shoot crows?

No. It is illegal to discharge a firearm within the City of Vancouver. This includes pellet guns and sling shots. My neighbour has pigeons. Is this allowed?

Under By-Law 9150, section 7.5, a person must not keep in any area, temporarily or permanently, at any one time, more than:

b) 12, in aggregate, registered homing pigeons, canaries, budgerigars, parrots, parakeets, and exotic birds of all species, except that a person has obtained permission from Council to keep an aviary may have a greater number of such birds in or about the premises designated in the permit.

What do I do about all the pigeons that are roosting on my house?

Animal Control does not handle pigeons on private property. Consult your yellow pages under exterminators or pest control.

Can I shoot the pigeons?

No, it is illegal to discharge a fire arm in the City of Vancouver. This includes pellet guns and sling shots. I have rats (or mice) in my yard. What do I do?

Consult your Yellow Pages under exterminators or pest control.

[top]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2010, City of Vancouver Disclaimer | Privacy policy | Contact us Last modified: Wednesday, August 4, 2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:33 am 

Wow. I'm impressed with your search engine skills. That was really buried in the middle of nowhere!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:02 pm 

rav wrote:
M4177 wrote
Quote:
better off just making calls to your offices.

I guess it is even better to go to the webpage of your city and find all the by-laws in a pdf format. Just for fun, it took me about 1 minute to get the CITY OF KAMLOOPS BY-LAW NO. 24-13 BEING A BY-LAW TO PROHIBIT THE DISCHARGING OF FIREARMS. The advantage is such that you can save them to your computer for a future reference. By the way, I think that there is no city in Canada that allows discharge of firearms including airguns within the corporate limits of a particular city. Correct me if I am wrong.

thanks raw. i'v found that by-law on the website of coquitlam too. but it didn't state very clear what is firearm. of course we can't discharge firearms in the city....but airguns include way too more than firearms. like i said, how about daisy red ryder? it's an airgun(BB) with spring, i guess. or just no pellet airguns? some airsoft shoot even harder than pellet.

my confusion is if everything with gun shape will be considered as firearm and can't be played in the city limit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:13 pm 

thanks scruffie. i'v found that by-law. i thought the firearm and airgun it mentioned should be PAL-rate. i think it will be radiculious if i have to go to the area people shooting ducks with their shotgun to play my airsoft.....isn't it too dangeous for me?

again, exactly where may i show my son how to play with a daisy redryder? in the hunting and fishing club range?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:09 pm 

powerball wrote:

again, exactly where may i show my son how to play with a daisy redryder? in the hunting and fishing club range?

Though not strictly legal, I have heard rumours that some people actually set up airgun ranges inside their house. :shock: :wink: The ole idiom, "Out of sight out of mind" seems to hold true. :wink: Other wise you can go to the range, sure. Three of them on your side of the river. Or east to Sylvester road would be the closest, but be warned, because it is the nearest, everyone and their dog with rifles lets lead fly there. Lots of room up Harrision Lake Both the east and west roads. We try to have an FT shoot at the Mission Range every month. More than welcome to bring your son and come on out to do a little shooting. Get to see and use some different rifles that way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:38 pm 

I live in Laval (Québec) and after contacting the provincial police ( Sureté du Québec), I have been forwarded to my municipal police. I contacted them and was told that use of any airgun in my backyard or in public space was forbidden by the city rules. I asked if I could use indoors ( in my basement) and was told that as long as I remained inside there are no problems. So I shoot in my basement. I have a 10 meters range in my basement and I shoot happily pellet guns and non pal pellet rifles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:46 pm 

powerball wrote

Quote:
but it didn't state very clear what is firearm. of course we can't discharge firearms in the city....but airguns include way too more than firearms. like i said, how about daisy red ryder? it's an airgun(BB) with spring, i guess. or just no pellet airguns? some airsoft shoot even harder than pellet.

To make a matter (relatively) straight every airgun is classified as a firearm according to a definition of a firearm (Sec.2, p.6 Criminal Code): “firearm” means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barreled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm”. For the RCMP (or generally police) a Red Ryder is also a firearm because if someone shoots out an eye with it is “serious bodily injury” indeed. However, some airguns that discharge a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity NOT exceeding 152.4 m per second (500fps) or at a muzzle energy NOT exceeding 5.7 Joules (4.2fpe) are DEEMED NOT to be firearms for the purposes of sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of CC and the provisions of the Firearms Act (Sec.84(3) CC). However, technically they are still firearms for any other section of CC (e.g. robbery or shooting at a person with such an airgun even if no harm is done). Regarding an airsoft gun, if it shoots above 407fps it is classified as a firearm which is deemed not to be a firearm for the purposes of CC Sec.91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 (exactly like sub500fps/5.7J airguns). If an airsoft gun that is a replica of existing firearm shoots below 407fps and have a clear (translucent) plastic receiver it’s O.K. However, if it is non-translucent, it is a “replica firearm” and as such it is classified as a “prohibited device” (Sec.84CC). You can possess a prohibited device but you can’t sell it or make a gift of it to anybody else. Anyways, for quite a long time replica firearms (prohibited devices) are not admitted to Canada by the CBSA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:52 pm 

thanks rav for the copy.

according to the by-laws decripsion, apparently anything with a shape of gun would be prohibited in any place if any other people could see you. i'v past PAL and RPAL session, i know anything involved in crime could be considered a firearm, such as a pen or bottle. but for our live.....don't understand it's just here or whole north america. i'v read so many reviews of daisy redryder. many of them were done by some grandparents who used it as a gift to there grandchildren for Christmas. no matter how happy the kids were, they broke the law...i think. that is sad, very very sad. also, when the kids tried to discharge (play) it in the city limit, they broke the law again. sad, sad, sad....:cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:26 am 

I live in Port Coquitlam, the cop that showed up last summer said it is legal to shoot a pellet gun in your back yard, (new neighbor that moved in behind is an a%#hole).Anyways as long as your being safe and responsible( good backstop with nothing behind it) I would go ahead. I'm sure the worst would be that they'll tell you,you cant. Of course this is just my personal opinion on it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:20 am 

Powerball...sorry but I am going to take you to task for a statement of yours"

"again, exactly where may i show my son how to play with a daisy redryder?"

I hope you are not teaching you son that the Red Ryder is a toy...a plaything.
It is capable of doing far more damage than just 'putting your eye out'...and I would hate to think you are teaching your child that his Red Ryder demands the same respect as his Transformer toys.
I'm sure that this is not what you meant...but please be aware that if any younger person new to this site read something like this they could very well come to the conclusion that b.b. guns are just...toys and treat them as such.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:22 pm 

bobtodrick wrote:
Powerball...sorry but I am going to take you to task for a statement of yours"

"again, exactly where may i show my son how to play with a daisy redryder?"

I hope you are not teaching you son that the Red Ryder is a toy...a plaything.
It is capable of doing far more damage than just 'putting your eye out'...and I would hate to think you are teaching your child that his Red Ryder demands the same respect as his Transformer toys.
I'm sure that this is not what you meant...but please be aware that if any younger person new to this site read something like this they could very well come to the conclusion that b.b. guns are just...toys and treat them as such.

thanks for your notice. you r right, i m not going to teach my son the redryder is a 'toy'. i'll start everything with gun safe first, just like my PAL session. i won't even let him touch the gun before he's learned how to do it safe. i just don't want to bring him to a real range surrounding by 'real' guns.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:30 pm 

jbb1975 wrote:
I live in Port Coquitlam, the cop that showed up last summer said it is legal to shoot a pellet gun in your back yard, (new neighbor that moved in behind is an a%#hole).Anyways as long as your being safe and responsible( good backstop with nothing behind it) I would go ahead. I'm sure the worst would be that they'll tell you,you cant. Of course this is just my personal opinion on it.

thanks alot buddy! this is really helpful, i m very to hear that. at least i know some cops got good attitude. :lol: i bet everyone on this forum would agree with that, being safe and resposible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:51 pm 

powerball wrote:
jbb1975 wrote:

thanks alot buddy! this is really helpful, i m very to hear that. at least i know some cops got good attitude. :lol: i bet everyone on this forum would agree with that, being safe and resposible.

PoCo is not Coquitlam and good attitude or not, it is Illegal. jbb1975 is wrong. $2000 fine and six months?? The next Cop may not be so nice. Especially if the Swat Team shows up because they received a phone call that someone was seen with a Gun :roll:

http://www.portcoquitlam.ca/__shared/as ... 206889.pdf

THE CORPORATION OF THE

CITY OF PORT COQUITLAM

BYLAW NO. 1220

A Bylaw to prohibit the discharge of firearms

within the City of Port Coquitlam.

The Municipal Council of The Corporation of the City of Port Coquitlam, in open meeting assembled, enacts as follows:

1. Except as hereinafter provided, no person shall discharge any firearm, including air guns, air rifles, air pistols, and spring guns within the Corporate limits of The Corporation of the City of Port Coquitlam.

2. The provisions of this Bylaw shall not apply to:

(a) Any person protecting livestock pursuant to the Livestock Act;

(b) Any member of a bona fide shooting club, while shooting at a range constituted for and used only for the practice of target shooting;

(c) Any owner, employee, or patron of a commercial indoor target shooting range, while shooting at such indoor range;

(d) Any member of any military unit in or upon the range of such military unit provided and used for the purpose of drill or training;

(e) Any peace officer acting in the execution of his duties.

3. (a) Bylaw No. 864 of the City cited as the "City of Port Coquitlam Firearm Regulations Bylaw No. 865, 1967" is repealed.

(b) Bylaw No. 1206 of the City cited as the "City of Port Coquitlam Firearm Regulations Bylaw, No. 864, 1967, Amendment Bylaw, 1972, No. 1206" is repealed.

4. Every person who violates any of the provisions of this Bylaw or who permits any act or thing to be done in contravention or in violation of any of the provisions of this Bylaw, or who neglects to do or refrains from doing anything required to be done by any of the provisions of this Bylaw shall be guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction and shall be liable to a fine of not more than $2,000.00 or to imprisonment for not more than six months, or to both, the penalties being enforced and the fines and costs being recoverable upon summary conviction in the manner provided by the Offence Act R.S.B.C. 1979, c. 305 as amended.

5. This Bylaw may be cited for all purposes as the "City of Port Coquitlam Firearm Prohibition Bylaw, 1972, No. 1220".

Read a first time by the Municipal Council this 27th day of November, 1972.

Read a second time by the Municipal Council this 27th day of November, 1972.

Read a third time by the Municipal Council this 27th day of November, 1972.

Reconsidered, finally passed and adopted by the Municipal Council of The Corporation of the City of Port Coquitlam this 4th day of December, 1972.

"L.B. Scott"

Mayor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next