Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:54 pm 

First of all, this is NOT my idea, I stole it from Slavia over on the AirGunHome Forum.... It was such a simple idea that I simply HAD to try it, and it worked like a charm.... This was the prototype, I have since made a more permanent one and I'll use it any time I want to test a springer from the bench, for example in finding the most accurate pellet....

It is a small paint roller that can rotate on an axle.... The forearm of the springer is laid across the roller, and when the gun is fired, it is free to move fore and aft with the recoil.... I used my left hand under the butt, and held the gun lightly into my shoulder with my right hand which had a relaxed grip on the wrist of the stock.... I shot the two 10-shot groups inside at a distance of 20 feet, using H&N 14.7 gr. FTT pellets, which are the favourite of my B-26.... The results speak for themselves.... The top group was from sandbags, the lower group shot off the roller.... I'm convinced !!!

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:26 pm 

LOL come on, it isn't that hard to shoot a springer.... you guys must really have a hard time shooting spring guns.. those groups you got at that range should be easy to get, anything at that range will group tight.. I think some of you guys should spend more time shooting than on the internet.. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:13 pm 

rvd wrote:
LOL come on, it isn't that hard to shoot a springer.... you guys must really have a hard time shooting spring guns.. those groups you got at that range should be easy to get, anything at that range will group tight.. I think some of you guys should spend more time shooting than on the internet.. :wink:

You're probably right, but it's a great little device. Beats the boat trailer roller that I was going to try...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:59 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Pretty neat idea Bob, that really makes sense. 8) Be excellent for sighting in your springer. And then when freehanding, you would see just how bad your hold was, and could adjust, as you would know the rifle was on. One question? Is the roller a heavy or light knapp. :P :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:02 pm 

is that paint roller? lol
sweet idea man!

Blackhawk w/6x32 bugbuster
PRO77 ~ Rebuilt
M4177 TAC (4x32 scope, Laser sight, Flashlight)
Steel storm SMG
MP5 k-PDW SMG TAC (Shoulder strap & 1x30 RDS)
357-Six with custom wood grips
C31
GSG92 - Stripped & Polished

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:02 pm 

It's a light knapp trim roller - 3" long x 1" diameter.... with the end caps drilled out to 1/4".... However, Slavia's was a full size roller with the handle clamped in a vice so I don't think it's critical.... :rolleyes:

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:34 pm 

I wish I could shoot as well as rvd but I can't so I think that is a great idea.
Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 pm 

I think it's brilliant.
RVD a reliable rest can be pretty useful, if you're working, scoping, adjusting a heavy rifle for example, if you're having trouble (or think you are) and want to remove yourself from the equation.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:35 pm 

Hmmm? A test at 20 feet? Not saying the rig does not work, but may want a little better test before I was convinced.

For groups at 20 feet, they would be decent for offhand, but I would sell a gun that groups like that at 20 feet off a rest.

Maybe outdoors at 30 to 50 yards may give a better indication of the effectiveness of the roller rest.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:30 pm 

I use one of those metal free standing rollers you can get at Princess Auto.I just wrap a rag around it and it goes any where and folds up also adjustable up and down for any shooter in a steaed position.I wish I could setup a link but they are uaually no more than $20 and can be used for other things too.Mine was originally bought to hold material for my metal cutting band saw.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:35 pm 

Quote:
I would sell a gun that groups like that at 20 feet off a rest.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.... If that's how you feel about a ten shot group measuring 0.15" C-T-C at 7 yards (the equivalent of 10 shots covered by a dime at 20 yards) how can I argue with that.... It is, after all, your opinion....

The purpose of this post was not to crow about how small the group was.... it was to display the difference with the roller and without (about 50%).... But then I'm sure Mac didn't intend his comment as a cheap shot.... nawwwwwww he wouldn't do that....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Quote:
I would sell a gun that groups like that at 20 feet off a rest.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.... If that's how you feel about a ten shot group measuring 0.15" C-T-C at 7 yards (the equivalent of 10 shots covered by a dime at 20 yards) how can I argue with that.... It is, after all, your opinion....

The purpose of this post was not to crow about how small the group was.... it was to display the difference with the roller and without (about 50%).... But then I'm sure Mac didn't intend his comment as a cheap shot.... nawwwwwww he wouldn't do that....

Bob

To put it as simple as possible, a 20 ft test showing only two groups is not conclusive evidence in my humble opinion. I will wait to hear something from further out and with more trial groups. I can shoot the same gun, from the same rest, with the same pellet, at the same distance and have that much variation between two groups.

Extrapolating a 20 yard group based on a 20 ft group is stretching a bit. This just from my own experience.

If the small part you quoted from my post is read within context, I do not see how that would be a cheap shot against you. The gun's accuracy, perhaps.

Your response however, I'll let folks decide which is a cheap shot and I will not delete any of your post. Didn't realize you were keeping score.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:22 am 

rsterne, Thank you for the Tip.
Yes it help. Cannot say, it will Help everyone. But if it works for some shooters, Great.
This is not a Phd Science Theory and therefore; sure there will be loads of differing Opinion.

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:18 am 

topher1266 wrote:
I use one of those metal free standing rollers...

I think the working principle behind this idea is the ability of the roller to immediately move with the rifles recoil. A roller made of metal intoduces weight and inertia into the equation? I agree the stated distance is not much of an indicator for me as even BB's will stack at that distance. I'm intrigued with this and will do my own testing at 50 yards. I'm curious to give it a try with some PB's as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:01 pm 

Bob ,one of the downsides to this rest,is when your wife sees it and drops off 10 gallons of paint to go with it :D ..kelly