Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:16 pm 

I've been Hijacking some other members threads by rambling, so I've found the proper forum this topic:

I'm a little financially limited (aren't we all) and I bought a (barely) used NP XL 1100 for hunting pests from anther forum member (excellent transaction). I am very happy that I have found this forum, and since my return to air guns, I have been reading a lot. Reading these threads is very informative, and I thought I should give some of my impressions back, to help the next guy.

In a world of 1001 air guns, budget is usually a factor for most of us. My single (most important) piece of advice would be to not compromise. A lot of this stuff follows simple logic. While I'm not going to tell you that you must always spend big money... 90% of the time... you do get what you pay for, and you never ever get that money back. Sometimes it is best to scrimp, save, and stretch every dollar to get what you really want. Otherwise you will get a drawer full of intermediate steps that (collectively) costs more than simply showing some financial patience.

Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100.
My impressions are that is is exactly what the profesional reviewers say it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJbsw1_KKCg
When I was looking to buy, I wanted an AG that was going to be quiet (very), powerful (hunting), and accurate (make me the shooter the weak link). I had experience previously with my Granddads Benjamin Sheridan Blue Streak so brand loyalty played a role (and while I knew B/S was now a 'Crosman' product I focused my search on a NP). After my research I discovered some well known issues with my choice. All high powered Springers/NP create torque and recoil. This is especially true with the NP XL 1100. It was also stated that because of a poor trigger (there is a Mod available) and the recoil that shooting the NP XL would take time and patience. I'm not new to firearms, so I figured that this would be part of a 'fun' challenge. But everyone should know that this is a challenge and that this AG would be a poor choice (due to this frustration/challenge) for 1st time buyers. I'm still breaking the gun in, It gets easier and easier the more I practice, and the more I recognize that I'm still making mistakes. But every time that I do get it right I can instantly see the rewards. While I'm not completely competent with this AG yet I did recognize that I'd like to try a high magnification for the scope, and to do the Trigger Mod.

CenterPoint Adventure 4-16x40 Mil-Dot, Dual Illum. Scope w/AO [CPT-CPA416AORG2] $119.99 from ScopesAndAmmo.com
I'm still new to scopes, and in hindsight I think I might have made a bit of a mistake in buying this particular one. I was looking to help improve accuracy with higher magnification. What this really has already shown me is a higher amplitude (increased visual sensitivity) in my own movement while aiming. This is a good training tool. Seeing more of the target is also a very useful. $120 into a scope is not very expensive. It is longer than the previous 3-9 scope, but shares the 40mm dia. OL and the 1" tube dia. I expected that this would make the scope dimmer, but it is noticeably dimmer than I expected. In hindsight the same price could have got me into a 50mm dia OL that would have done a better job at transferring light. But I do like the cross hairs, and find the mill-dots very useful being consistant and close at the aiming point. In hindsight I wish I had saved up a little more money. I was looking for higher magnification to also use illumination in low light conditions. At $170 you can buy a 4-16x50 AO illuminated scope (from ScopesAndAmmo.com). That scope has the 50 OL, a side adjusting AO, a 30mm tube (5mm larger than a regular 1 inch tube). I would expect that all of those features would produce a much brighter sight picture for an extra $50. Still I'm not that terribly disappointed with the 4-16x40 Centerpoint. It is holding it's Zero, the Illumination (Red and Green) works well. A very nice feature for hunting is that it has full size caps over the elevation and windage adjustment (This will stop them from being bumped in the field). These adjustments work well, and have a nice tactile feel to the clicks. But the eye relief is very specific, and for fast acquisition hunting that will be annoying, but force any shooter to know his 'spot-welded' position. Bottom line - is that it is worth what cost, and should be a good match in use and quality for the NP XL 1100 for it's primary use for hunting. In the end I am about 50/50 with this scope and my decision, but I'll only kick myself when I miss. It is not a good scope for Filed Target use, and at the same price I would find a 50mm dia. OL if you are looking for better use in low light conditions.

GTX Gen II Trigger [SW-GTX(II)] $38.99 from ScopesAndAmmo.com
When I focused in on getting the Trail NP, every reviewer said that the trigger was poor. Well I was starting to get used to it when I finally decided to go for the trigger Mod. Unlike some other Mods this one is completely reversible. The goal is to improve Trigger Feel, for a proper 1st and 2nd stage release. The original trigger has a spring in it, and is not light. But as much as people grind on this trigger - it is still useable, especially for a hunting AG. There is also the "The New GRT-III Trigger" available at http://www.charliedatuna.com. According to Charlie the GTX-II is a copy and obsolete. I did come across an article here that debated that point (topic42008.html). A very interesting tread indeed. I used this information to order the GTX II Trigger from S&A. I installed it without any difficulty. The instructions point out that it wil need adjustment (a little at a time), and it took a bit of trial and error to get it close to where I decided to start shooting with it. I have a little more adjustment, and a bit of polishing still to complete, but here is my initial assessment: 1. (As suggested in the instructions) AIM IN A SAFE DIRECTION before you initially pull the trigger. I'm guessing mine went from about 4 lb pull to 0.8 lb pull (I have since dialed it up a bit to better differentiate the stages). 2. WOW... how the hell could anyone consider this trigger to be "obsolete"? The simple answer is that this trigger is not obsolete (sorry Charlie). I'd like to be able to tell you with scientific proof that I have seen a dramatic evidence that clearly shows the improvement over the stock trigger... I don't have that proof. I can tell you that the difference in trigger feel is miles ahead of the stock trigger, unfortunately that difference is so radical that you really feel as if you are shooting a different gun. A different gun needs time and patience to again learn to shoot well (but I already can see an improvement – and I'll put up a photo of a target soon). So my "premature" view is that the GTX-II trigger is 100% worth it. Crossman should be making a copy. This has trigger has changed the AG. I read that before, and I'll say it again... but also know that you will want to use your safety all the time after this mod.

Final Thought
With my clear objective of having a decent air rifle for hunting. It had to be quiet, powerful, and accurate. The inexpensive upgraded package that I now have (Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 with a 16x illuminated scope, and the trigger mod) has met and exceeded my requirements.
But review the costs:
Benji = $314.99 (http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdo ... _2045.html)
Scope = $119.99 (http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... -wao-p-516)
Trigger = $38.99 (http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... more-p-242)
--------------------
$473.97
= $535.59 (with 13% HST)

I believe it is still a solid choice at this cost, because it is a well made gun that is remarkably quiet for all her power. This is very hard to find in Canada. You could look at superior rifles in the PCP Category but they get expensive, especially for the 'filling options'. The Benji Trail is autonomous. You could look at superior made German Springers but they do command a higher price, and you still have to add a scope. So price per pound, I am very happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:10 pm 

Great write up. I just place my order today for the trigger. My AG is the .22 non pal trail. I like it. When I get my pal I plan on upping the power. I may just follow what you have done. Sounds great

Thanks for the info

Derek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:25 pm 

How do you like the the non-pal Trail NP?

Looking around the web, I found there was scant info on the non-pal version, but lots on the PAL version.

I was looking at the cheaper version, the Venom, but there is a video from airgun web on both the Venom and the Trail NP. This review was the one that swayed me to get the Trail NP. Essententially the Trail was the flagship in the fleet with better quality control.

So, I ordered the Trail from Scopes and Ammo because I felt there would be better feedback and advice from Eric to solve any potential problems. I gave him the business, because I see his presence here, more often than the other Canadian suppliers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:02 pm 

I like it. I am new to all of this and I find it a good learner rifle. One I get my pal I will upgrade.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:43 pm 

Has anyone tried this trigger adjustment as suggested by Tom Gaylord from pyramidair?

Google "Crosman's new nitro piston short stroke - part 4 - pyramidair"

If I knew how to post the link I would. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 pm 

The trigger upgrade from scopes and ammo came into day. Installed in under ten minutes. Worth every single penny. If you have a rifle that you can put this trigger in. Do it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:38 pm 

Hi; new here...i just wanted to post a solution to the trigger on the Benjamin trail Xl 1100,,,I first tried the longer screw fix , that helped very little...i then picked up the bearing ...that simply was not safe as the saftey would not work...then i took a closer look the bearing is too big and begins to push on the seer as u put it in....i carefully remove the outer race of the bearing and seals..toss in garbage..slide the inner race on that pin ,,remove the spring and tried it ...pull was much lighter but still a long pull ...i put the original screw back in and wallaaaah . a perfect trigger...just use caution not to go too far with the screw and when u cock it hold on tight as it may spring open if gone too far...u can also apply a bit of grease to that tiny bearing sleave.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:48 pm 

I too, just bought a used 1100 .22 cal with the intent of converting it to a .25 cal. I've installed the GRTIII trigger and an very happy with that. I'm still trying to find the right pellet. So far the H&N Baracuda Match 21.30 gr & the JSB Jumbo Exact 15.90 gr. are grouping the best.The one thing I'm having a problem with is getting use to that darn 'thumb hole' stock. It just doesn't feel right to me but I'll get use to it one of these days. I agree that it's a great for a cheap rifle.

"You repair things with tools, you fix things with a hammer, if you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem !"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:48 pm 

I just installed the gtx gen 2 trigger on my Benjamin Trail NP XL, tonight actually. Best 20 minutes I ever spent! I didn't hate the original trigger but this one is so much better. Great review BTW

Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .22
Benjamin Trail NP XL .22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:57 pm 

I have the Trail NP. I installed the "gold" trigger about 4 years ago . Well worth the money. Works very well. I added a trigger shoe and its even better. The shoe gives you a wider trigger and seems to make the pull a little lighter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:55 am 

Great review dude. I've always wondered about the XL100 and was seriously considering it as I mostly do pesting and hunting. I wound up getting a Trail NP with the Gen II trigger already installed and later put in the high power piston after I got my PAL.

Thanks again for the informative write up.