Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:07 pm 

Out of the box, QB57 is a disaster. No quality control. Case foam is loose. Pellets are not usable - they are terrible. Looks like they got too hot on the way they are all malformed. Junk. The gun itself shoots, though the 'iron' sites are next to useless as you can't adjust for height, but, i like how they flip up. The included scope is bunk - its a joke. It may be OK on a pistol but its NOT making things larger. They stay the same, though it is clear. It shot so far to the left with the scope on I gave up after my 3rd parallax adjustment to get it sighted in and put a Crosman red dot on it. At least I was able to hit the sighting in target, but, it started to get dark, so i couldn't go any further with it.

Over all, out of the box, if this was the first thing I bought I would be disappointed probably not air gun. BUT - I do see some potential in this thing. Some Russians have modded theirs - here is what they did.

They took the wood off the barrel. lowers the profile in height immensely. Then they epoxy or metal smith (those who have the tools and know how) rails and/or sites on the thing. Simple. easy. Effective. It needs to be ripped open, smoothed, deburred, resealed and smoothed over.

For the price, what can you expect, you get something you can work with - I have no doubt it could be good - it just depends on how much time your willing to sink into it. It's good for a hobbyist, good for the back yard.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:29 pm 

The elevation adjustment is on the front sight. When I got mine after close examination I noticed the front site was off a few degrees, so I warmed up the muzzle break with a hair dryer not a heat gun because you don't want to melt anything and it took 10 minutes with the hair dryer. I turned it by hand to a more erect position. I threw the pellets into the recycling pile they are garbage I forgot to mention this in your other post. I had read about this gun all over the internet before I got mine so I only shot 1 pellet then I took it apart to clean and lube. You need to check all screws for tightness. I found that I was getting a bit of glare on the back site and I noticed a slight chamfer so I carefully disassembled and turned it around , I think its better now.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:03 pm 

I'll be doing a tear down over the weekend and see where it goes from there. I'm already thinking of ways to lower the overall profile.

What I really do like is the size. Nice and compact - if I can zero in the red dot and get a solid 1'' group at 60 feet I'll be satisfied.

Be nice to find a power tuning but this gun certainly needs a tuning.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:51 pm 

Gee Chewy, I remember when you were so excited to get your hands on this air rifle. Too bad you had a bad experience with it.
I still like the idea of an air rifle that can be taken down and tucked away in a briefcase but not if it can't hit what you're aiming at.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:09 pm 

Because QB57s are so short they take more practice to get the hang of. Mine required recrowning because the factory crown was done on a lathe and since the bore was a little off center in the barrel the crown was off as well. It made an improvement as soon as I recrowned.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:09 am 

I'm pretty sure mines ok - checked for burring and so forth. Needed a good clean up.

Honestly wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Online it looked good. Buyer beware! It's taken 2 hours of work and needs 2 more and then someone who knows better should check out the things I can't.

I will put a gas spring in it to see how it goes, more or less just for fun.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:07 pm 

Geez. I'm not sure. I agree the scope an pellets that come with it are yard sale items. But, right out of the case, the first few shots I took with it, cut a beer, er, aluminum can in half at 70 feet. Haven't even cleaned it yet. Maybe quality control issues? :?:

Bart

Crosman:3576;1377;Phantom .22; 760;2289G;2240;C41:782
Daisy:Red Ryder;Model 25;15XT;008;Grizzly 840B;953 Target Pro;201;188;1200:717:880
Walther CP99 Compact
Umarex Steel Storm
Colt 1911 Nickel
Beeman P17
Baikal IZH60
QB78D

OMG 100+ now!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:53 pm 

I couldn't zero in the scope may as well not of put any dials on it.

I couldn't get the iron sites to site in anywhere closer than about 8 inches above target. Couldn't get it any lower.

Had to put a red dot on it to get it to hit anything. Then it would for a few shots, but the crosman red dot would jar out of spot. When it stayed on spot for a few shots, ya, it hit them very well. A nice smack!!

It was full, i mean full, of grease inside there. And there was debree in the tube. Looked like tobacco. Seriously. They pack these and smokes in the same plant?? The grease had crap in it too, no idea what. Assuming the grit was more of the same of the dry stuff I found in there.

Quality control is most certainly the issue here. I don't think they have any. Or pride either, if they let them out like the way this one was.

I think I can save it. Just haven't decided if I want too. A gas spring will go a long way for making the ringing in my ear go away after each shot, given as your ear is pretty much on the spring when you fire it.

Like I said, I REALLY LIKE the idea behind this gun. I will try again after the gas spring is in there. I WANT to like it. But I won't if I can't get good groups out of it.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:47 pm 

Sorry to hear that your gun was a mess inside. Mine was quite clean and I probably could have got good service without tearing down. I was expecting it to be in the same condition as yours because there were so many stories as such. Is your barrel staying tight, mine would loosen up after 20 or so shots and it was hard to get accuracy when it would start to move, I finally gave up and use channel locks to give it that last little bit. I even thought about permanently joining the barrel. I also would leave mine gun put together and leaning up in a corner when not in use and I think the front site would bend a little but it would come back after a while as if the plastic had a memory.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:05 pm 

Chewy, do you still have all your teeth after firing the 57?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:23 am 

All my teeth? Who says i had them all starting out lol!!

I think i have time for a Gas spring today. Should be super easy to get one in there my only doubt is will it compress enough when cranking it down to lock.

I put some extra bolts under the front site pin and now I'm on target with it :)

Its taking some time but now i hit my target every shot now just not sited in perfectly yet.

I am starting to get some enjoyment for my work now though :)

I am going to chrony some numbers before and after gas spring (if it takes) and ill post up the results. A $30 mod could make this a real Zinger worthy of my collection ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:54 am 

Might wanna check out the Xisico XS-B9-1. Solid shooter built like a tank, accurate and ten shot. Needs a good scope or dot sight.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:09 pm 

Rolf wrote:
Might wanna check out the Xisico XS-B9-1. Solid shooter built like a tank, accurate and ten shot. Needs a good scope or dot sight.

Can't locate this model anywhere in Canada :(

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:59 am 

Chewy wrote

Quote:
Can't locate this model anywhere in Canada

Hero Army Surplus (located in Oshawa, Ontario) (http://heroarmysurplus.com) sells the BAM B9-1 for a skyrocketing price of $199.95. In 2006 I bought one for a half of their price. The B9-1 is a very good side lever air rifle. Similar in design to the QB57 but much better executed. The barrel group is attached to the receiver with a hand turned knurled nut. Ordnance steel all around with a glass reinforced polymer forearm and stock. Very scary tactical look for people who like this. Even with a lousy crossbow scope which my B9-1 came with it is deadly accurate at 10m. It came with two ten round each steel magazines. With the magazine the B9-1 is in essence a 10-shot repeater. The magazine system operates very smoothly if the lever is cocked gently. The B9-1 shoots only .177 pellets (wadcutter pellets preferred due to the construction of the magazine). Muzzle velocity close to 500 fps with 7gr Diabolo Basic pellets. Now, the Xisico USA sells the B9-1 with a much better 4X32 scope. If you are really interested you can ask the Xisico USA if they could ship one to Canada.

Attachments:
Xisico B9-1(1).JPG
Xisico B9-1(1).JPG [ 24.18 KiB | Viewed 5255 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:06 pm 

I just saw that Mr. Marvin will have one at the Markham gun show this Sunday! He has a pic in "airgun events" section.