Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Slavia 618 piston seal
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:29 pm 

I just received a new barrel for my Slavia 618 and I think the piston seal is disintegrating as there's often little pieces in the barrel after I shot a pellet.
Very small pieces but still there, kinda like crumbles.
I oiled it but it's still doing it.

So I would like a new seal for it. Please (pretty please) don't tell me I have to order it from the UK... I don't have the tools to make one either.

If there's an easy way to take it all out it would be appreciated too. I took the action out of the stock and I removed the cap and trigger but I'm stuck there...

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 pm 

Easy to work on, and easy to make a new leather seal. Should be able to find posts on this if you search as it comes up on a regular basis.
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.ca/20 ... art-1.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:36 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
Easy to work on, and easy to make a new leather seal. Should be able to find posts on this if you search as it comes up on a regular basis.
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.ca/20 ... art-1.html

I did search for it and did found that link (another airgun blog has been in my favorite list since it's debut when PA changed it's blog formata few years ago)

I was hoping for a way to disassemble it without having his "special Slavia tool" he made out of aluminium and his piston seal is synthetic, he lists JGairguns and that darn UK store for parts, JG has replacement springs and breach seal for the 618 but no piston seal and Chambers in the UK lists the piston seal as N/A, so... I still don't know what to do :(

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:27 am 

You dont need the special tool. You just need to be able to turn the housing, you can use just about anything that fits in there. They usually aren't tight either.

Its easy to make a leather seal. Cut a piece of leather a bit larger then you need. An old full grain belt works well. Soak it overnight so its wet and soft. Then you press it into something the same diameter as the compression tube. A hole bored into a block of wood works well. If you have a vise, it works well, if not you can use a hammer, but you will need to clamp it or put some weight on it. Use a socket or similar round object on the other side of the leather to form the shape. You will need to trim the excess, and you may need to fiddle with it a bit to get the tightness you want. It should just drag on the cylinder. If its too tight, it will shoot slow.

Here is a better explanation http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/12/ ... -seal.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:58 am 

[quote="paddyfritz"]You dont need the special tool. You just need to be able to turn the housing, you can use just about anything that fits in there. They usually aren't tight either.

Its easy to make a leather seal. Cut a piece of leather a bit larger then you need. An old full grain belt works well. Soak it overnight so its wet and soft. Then you press it into something the same diameter as the compression tube. A hole bored into a block of wood works well. If you have a vise, it works well, if not you can use a hammer, but you will need to clamp it or put some weight on it. Use a socket or similar round object on the other side of the leather to form the shape. You will need to trim the excess, and you may need to fiddle with it a bit to get the tightness you want. It should just drag on the cylinder. If its too tight, it will shoot slow.

X2..thats exactly what i did ....used an old leather belt and i used an old socket which i dremmeled the end to sharpen...worked great and i got a better sealing...i have quite a few slavia parts kicking around if you need any Doc!!
I used the dremmel to remove the old leather(pita if you try to pick it out)..but what i did was i cut the top of the piston off with the dremel of course..tapped the top but not exactly sure what size i used and i screwed it back down using some loctite...still use it out in the yard for popcan killin

Walther Falcon .25
Benji XL 1100

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:07 am 

Could I just use the end of the cylinder as a template on the leather and just cut around it with and exacto knife? I don't think I have any spare leather or old belts, I'll have to stop by the local shoemaker for some leather, maybe I could ask him to cut it too? What thickness would be best?

paddyfritz wrote:
You dont need the special tool. You just need to be able to turn the housing, you can use just about anything that fits in there. They usually aren't tight either.

How do I keep the spring from making it fly out? Can I just jam something in the slot underneat the action to keep the spring from flying out or is there not enough tension to make it fly out?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:04 am 

Almost no preload. It wont go shooting off. If you were close, I would make one for you, but since you would need to ship it, better to fix it yourself. It really is easy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:20 am 

paddyfritz wrote:
Almost no preload. It wont go shooting off. If you were close, I would make one for you, but since you would need to ship it, better to fix it yourself. It really is easy.

Thanks!
How about the leather thickness? Since I have to buy it anyways might as well get the correct thickness... if thicker than a belt would be prefered.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:02 pm 

I used a belt I found at a thrift store. Its an old heavy leather belt like a holster belt would be. Something like one of those Mexican tooled leather belts would be perfect. Smooth on one side and "hairy" on the other.