Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:43 pm 

Hey all, I've read the other thread about pellets hitting much lower than target even at maxed out elevation on turrets. But I've also read using scope at max elevation isn't good for the scope. I was wondering how to fix this problem without shimming my scope or getting droop compensating mounts. I'm hopefully looking for advice on a DIY way. I've seen remedies like bending the barrel up and filing down breech lock. Can someone guide me through one of those 2 processes, or if better both? I firmly believe it is droop and not a scope issue because when I lock the barrel into place I can see one end (rear end) is higher than the front end. Thanks again and I really hope there is something I can do without shimming my scope.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:39 pm 

I used coke can shims on the back mount. Trial and Error process until you get the right no of spacers
Down load Hawke Chair Gun Pro. It has shim feature calculator.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:42 pm 

Also I do not have a c clamp or the necessary equipment from charliedatunas barrel bending tool. But I've read of people doing it without such equipment, which is what I'm looking to do. I cannot find any videos either of these ways of bending without tools like CDT's. I have read to wedge it somehow and bend but cannot find detailed procedures. Thanks. Agaain I do not have access to any materials CDT used in his blog. Just heard of unconventional ways of doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:46 pm 

Thanks for the advice JeJajones. But I want shimming to be the last resort after/if I can get help on how to properly file breech lock or bend the barrel up to make parallel with rest of rifle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:26 pm 

Just shim the Scope...
Get some 35mm film and cut into strips as wide as the rings.
You will not need much.
Then place under the front or rear rings to get your zero.

Or you can buy from LeBaron..Burris Signature Rings and inserts.
http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_fall12/ ... _bases.pdf
What the insert are is Off-Set, the front of the scope the same amount front and rear.
Eg..1 degree up on rear and 1 degree down on front..
A bit of Trial and Error but they work..

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:28 pm 

From my understanding barrel droop isn't the barrel being actually bent rather then the angle it's set at which isn't refined at the factory. I'd check out the shims or other scope mounts before I started barrel bending.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:24 pm 

Straightening is the way to go.
Ask PeterDulux how he likes his Diana 34 straightened up?

Walter...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:11 pm 

Alright well I fixed it. My scope turret elevation doesn't max out either. And yea I know its not the barrel that's bent. But now my breech sits more parallel than before. I've asked around on GTA too and some recommended to check breech seal and plastic washers. So I did and found my plastic washers to be uneven as one side stuck out more and my breech seal stuck out more on the top end, I don't know if what I did is ever recommended but I sanded down the plastic washers to be more even and I sanded the breech seal to be more flush, now it locks up higher than before as in no droop. Also anyone notice the clicking sound when cocking the trail fully? Its kind of loud, or does it quiet down after awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:34 pm 

Another update, managed to make it to home hardware to grab a couple steel washers. Took awhile to get the washers to size and fit. Got them to fit, shoots pretty awesome. I managed to get 10 5-shot groups. The first 6 groups were the best. They were with 6 different pellets. By the time I was trying to go for round 2, it was getting dark really fast. And cold. I started and finished round 2 but immediately noticed they were all worse than round 1. Got too cold and dark, my technique fell apart hehe. I have a 20 yard range set up where I try to shoot and make do with the lack of light other than my 2 outdoor lights, but it is getting really chilly at night now! Loving my trail more and more with every shooting.