Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Taming Diana
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:34 pm 

been practicing shooting with my 34 this evening, 5 groups of 5 at 10 yards, i feel i can shoot for groups now that she had 200 + pellets going tru it, you can definitely feel the difference in the shot cycle

using the artillery hold like no other rifles i own, change a single hand placement or grip it slightly, and she will will punish you for it, man is she ever fussy :roll: .......i had high maintenance girlfriends that weren't so difficult :lol: :lol: :lol:

anyway, i should be ready by the time shooting season gets here :D

Attachments:
IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2096.JPG [ 153.87 KiB | Viewed 1484 times ]

Post subject: Re: Taming Diana
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:20 am 

That looks like pretty fair shootin' to me!

I have a Diana 48 that speaks it's mind, too, and is somewhat hold sensitive. Both my HW98 and HW97 are much easier to shoot, but if you bear down and work with the Dianas, they can give incredible groups. My 48 is also a true Magnum springer, giving about 800 fps with .22 cal Predators. I've shot a couple of dime sized groups at 30 yards, but they're usually Looney size at this range. That is certainly good enough as a backup rabbit gun.

I haven't put that many shots through it, either. About 300 or so at the long end. Glad you said you can notice the difference in the shot cycle after 200 - I think I'm starting to notice the same thing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:10 am 

thanks Molto

I believe my 34 can deliver even better groups, will just require more practice then I'm used to, other rifles like the leverage for example will deliver tighter groups regardless of how you hold it, so it is a bit more challenging, but I guess that's what makes it fun :D

I think the 34 will settle down even further after another 100 pellets or so, she's already easier to cock, and the shot cycle is not as harsh as the first shots out of the box, the change is noticeable, but more subtle then a Chinese airgun, its not hard to tell on the latter, the gun just stops jumping, not so with the 34, she never jumped, so you really have to pay attention, but it is something you'll notice

I'm surprised by your comment of hold sensitivity for the 48, with its recoil system, you would think not

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:22 pm 

did some shooting again this afternoon, most of which with the 34, it did pretty good at 30 yards delivering sub dime groups, but it wasn't one ragged hole though, within that group, it would put 3 together, then one left and one right, my post of yesterday shows exactly that

then for about 30 pellets, the rifle felt really weird, i had a hard time closing the barrel, cocking didn't feel that much different, and at the same time the gun started jumping a bit, more so then usual, accuracy got weird, the POI would go up, i would adjust the scope, then it would go down, so i'd re-adjust the scope again to compensate, thought i was dealing with slippage...

then everything stopped, the POI stabilized, the rifle stopped jumping, then it started stacking pellet on pellet without effort...dare i believe it broke in, i'm a bit above the 300 pellet mark at this point, i'll test that further another day