Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:27 am 

Background (you don't have to read this part...)

First of all nothing covered here is new. All you old-timers move along - nothing to see here. This is for everyone else that just picked up a Daisy 953 with the Powerline 3-9x32 scope at TSC and have found the scope doesn't work all that well at short distances - eg: in your basements, garages and smaller back yards. The reason for this is because it has a fixed object lens. Fixed object lens scopes really only work properly at the one distance that they were adjusted for at the factory. I don't know what distance our scopes were set for - maybe 100 yards, maybe 50 yards - certainly not the 23 feet of my basement range. At any other distance than the one it was set for the scope will not focus properly and will exhibit parallax. To see the effect of parallax aim the scope (either on or off the gun) at an object that is closer (or farther) than it's factory adjusted distance. The scope must be supported so it doesn't move easily. Without moving the scope, look through it at something - say, your range target. Move your eye around slightly - left/right or up/down. You will see the aim point move around even though the scope is not moving. That is parallax rearing it's ugly head. To get repeatable results every time you shoot your eye must be in exactly the same position. Some can do this; I can't.

OK - start paying attention now:

How to fix this. It's very easy - you just have to adjust the object lens like an Adjustable Object (AO) scope would. Here's how. This is probably easier with the scope off the gun - you're going to have to sight it in again anyway. If you have a solid bench rest for the gun leave the scope on. First, adjust the eyepiece end of the scope so that the crosshairs are in perfect focus. This is the sole real purpose of the eyepiece adjustment - to make sure the crosshairs are in focus for different eyeballs/eyeglasses. Just aim the scope at a plain light coloured surface and make the crosshairs as sharp as possible.

OK, now for the fun part. Procede to the other end of the scope (the object end) and take off the retaining/locking ring there. See photo.
It will be tight. I was able to break mine loose by wearing rubber gloves for grip. Once you have it off you will see a threaded part sticking out. This is the object lens carrier. It will likely be easy to turn - mine was. To adjust the scope for shorter distances you will want to screw this carrier out (counterclockwise). With the scope resting on something solid at the correct distance from your target you start turning the lens out while watching for the target to come into focus. As you get closer stop occasionally and move your eye around to see if the crosshairs stay on the same spot. Once they do you have achieved your purpose. While making sure the lens doesn't rotate at the same time reinstall the locking ring. Don't do it so tight this time. The act of snugging up the locking ring will probably pull the lens out a bit (taking up the slop) and when you check the aim point will move around slightly again. Back off the ring and rotate the lens clockwise a hair and snug up the ring again. If you're as anal as me you will do this several times.

A couple of hints - if the target has a bunch of random spots (pellet holes?) it will have more reference points to judge if the aim point is still moving around when you move your eye; also it is best to do this with the scope set to the higher end of it's magnification range - say 8x. It will likely not be perfect back at 3x but the error is less there.

Doing this will take less time than reading about it. You will be amazed at how much easier it is to aim with the scope 'tuned in' for your target distance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:34 am 

Great info!!

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:11 pm 

Thanks so much for posting this great mod. I too shoot indoors, from 6 to 10m away and the scope on the Daisy 953 sure isn't set at the factory for that. For anyone with a similar rifle and/or scope, this is a very easy mod indeed. Here are a couple additional tips that I hope will help those doing this for the first time.

- use a hair dryer to warm up the scope prior to twisting open the retaining cap. It sure is there tight. I was scared to bend something so used the hair dryer to slowly heat it up evenly. Used a cheap latex glove as my hand was slipping (it is still pretty tight even after heating).

- give it a good 5 turns. As indicated by Lleader, once you remove the cap just turn by hand the exposed threaded portion some 5 full turns. Your mileage my vary. In my case I had the scope at 8x and at 5 counter-clockwise turns, the image was super sharp and the crosshair didn't move as I moved my head about.

- compensate for turns while putting the cap back on. As Lleader indicated, when you tighten the cap it will turn the threaded portion a good 1.5 turns. So if 5x works for you, be mindful of this. So experiment with 5 turns. If that works, back it off to 3.5 turns then tighten. Test to see if it all dandy. Worked for me. Super stoked with this simple mod that can make all the diff in the world.

- don't tighten it back too hard. There's no need to make it factory tight. This way you can make further adjustments with scope mounted.

- and lastly... be sure to say thanks to Lleader for taking the time to give us this very useful thread. Happy scoping.

Last edited by Joolz on Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:34 pm 

Think what you want but i had no targets so i improvised ;) lol no im not sick just resourceful! Top is 5 shots with Crosman Destroyer's 7.9gr and bottom is 5 shots of Meisterkugeln's 8.2gr @ 25' standing... Found the scope to perform not to bad as is at this distance but have yet to try it further and do the piston fill mod (still recovering from a back injury so "little bits" at a time) although i have found that the front lense has a foggy film over it on the inside ( i cleaned the snot out of the outside before i realized it was inside) :(

Call it B.S if youd like but these shots ARE legit and thats why i dont post any punched out target pics :butthead: and these are the best groups of the bunch, your results may vary...

AANNNDD no children were harmed in the sighting of this scope only paper ones and i assure you they felt nothing! Again im NOT sick just RESOURCEFUL as I have A LOT of these flyers... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:26 pm 

Awesome - thanks for this info ~

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:03 pm 

while this has been discussed before
its always good to rehash this mod, especially with the daisy 953 scope.... :wink: