Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Expected aur gun life
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:49 pm 

Since getting into air gun , about two years now, I have sent two rifles to the junk pile . Both were Crosman in .177 cal , a Storm XT and a Phantom. I would like to replace them with another .177. I usually shoot 100 to 150 shots when weather permits . I only shoot at 10 meters on paper , so the 1000 f/s range is not needed . Around 500 would be fine . Is there a break barrel out there under 150 dollars US that would last more than a year ? Stoeger has a two year warranty . Papa needs help, -------Thanks .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:06 pm 

I'm not that experienced in the the quality of airguns but I'd venture to say that Crosman's may not be the best built ones available.
I have a few Crosman's but haven't been shooting them enough for them to fail yet.

Myself I'm fond of the Benjamin Brand but I believe that is still a Crosman but of a better build quality. Ruger is a similar quality to Crosman.
I don't think of Stoeger as a very good quality build even if they offer a two year warranty.

I've heard good things about the Diana's and Air Arms rifles. You get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:56 pm 

Hmmm...what do you think the total pellet count on these guns were, and what specifically gave you issues.
I have a Slavia 631 that is not 8 years old and has at least 25,000 rounds through it. Replaced the seals about 5000 rounds ago and shoots like the day it was delivered.
Same with an Avanti 853c. A bit more expensive but probably double the round count of the Slavia and replaced the seals twice.
At the same time we have a couple BAM B3-1 (the AK lookalike). Cheap and the usual Chinese quality, but fun plinkers. Bought them 4 years ago and they both have over 10,000 shots and work like new.
Crosman or not, you should be getting more than 2 years out of these things.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:11 pm 

I have the same slavia 631 I got as a boy, it is now about 27 years old, has more rounds through it then I could count. The wood is showing wear just from so much handling, I put in a spring and seal about 5 years ago, it shoots like the day it was made, very accurate. It is all steel and wood - except for the piston seal of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:12 pm 

I have a Crosman 1377 which I probably got in the late 70s. It still works fine. I used it pretty heavily to start with but very little since.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:51 pm 

Slavia air rifles probably shouldn't be compared with the inexpensive, mass-produced Chinese made guns. I'd venture to guess that there are far more older Slavias around that are in good working order than Chinese made Crosmans. This is not to knock the Chinese rifles but to say that there is a reason they are inexpensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:12 pm 

I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds through my Nitro Venom and Phantom over the years and never had any problem.Changed the piston seal once in the Venom.That's it.Mind you my Slavia STILL shoots the same with only a piston seal change once and no other maintenance and that gun is over 40 years old.I doubt my Crosmans' will last THAT long.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:54 pm 

If you take care of your gun (even a cheapie), I don't see why it wouldn't provide years of usable service

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:04 pm 

Maybe Just bad luck with springers on my part . I also have a Nitro Venom in .22cal and it has just over 8000 thru it -------Papa Smurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:49 pm 

mike87gt wrote:
If you take care of your gun (even a cheapie), I don't see why it wouldn't provide years of usable service

If the gun is produced from inferior materials, as so many of "the cheapies" are, it doesn't matter how much care you take of them it will deteriorate (unless of course you don't use it)

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 am 

Good point Dave. You certainly get the feeling when you pick up one of the higher quality guns that they are built to give many years of use. It seems to me that a lot of the 'progress' in modern manufacturing has been in pairing down build quality to the absolute minimum. Pot metal and plastic for steel, brass and wood. Very sad on the one hand, but on the other does give people access to air guns at prices that in real terms are probably the lowest they have ever been.

Out of curiosity Papa Smurf, how did your guns fail?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:04 am 

EverHopeful : I think the springs in both broke . The Phantom's barrel would only move half way and not cock and the Storm would move and cock with very , very little effort and no power. I kept the wood stock from the Storm and may try it on my sons Phantom . He don't like the "twang" when it goes off . The junk man took everything else away . I really like my Nitro Venom and will stick to the gas ram type rifles from now on . ----------------------------------Good Shooting to you -----------------Papa Smurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 am 

Fair enough. It seems that sometimes a spring will go early in its life for no obvious reason, other times they work for years and years. Sounds like you've just been very unlucky.

Springs can be replaced of course, and other parts can always be repurposed even if the gun is truly beyond repair. Shame to see stuff go in the trash, but maybe there isn't anyone local who likes to mess with old parts. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:03 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
It seems that sometimes a spring will go early in its life for no obvious reason, other times they work for years and years.

That's quite true. I have an HW77K that I bought new in the spring of 2013 and its spring broke with only 3000 shots or so. I replaced the spring with a 12 fp kit and hopefully it will be good for many years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:54 pm 

EverHopeful ; Not anyone close by that works on air guns . Not that I gave a unlimited supply of cash , but I would rather shoot than "fix". By the time I pay for shipping and the repair it seems like money not well spent . Last Year I got a Nitro Venom in .22 right from Crosman $167.50 US right to the door. It came with two containers of pellets . It has been a fine shooting rifle. If I would ever get another rifle in .177 I think it would be another Nitro Venom . That's an almost certain definite maybe . At least until anyone comes out with something better. ----------------------Good Shooting to you --------------------- Papa Smurf