Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:04 pm 

Apparently they want your First Name, Last Name, Drivers License Number, Home Address, Phone, and some other information...they have a book stored behind the counter to record all this.

I wanted to buy the 29.99 Red Ryder bb gun, so its hardly controlled goods, or a PAL item.

I didnt feel like having all my info recorded so I didnt buy it...wasnt going to argue with the manager, its store policy. Record book had about 30 pages of names filled out which I perused while waiting for the manager, so I guess sheeple dont mind.

BB gun in question...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:08 pm 

I looked at it also, but I only got as far as made in China.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:30 pm 

I think they are on sale at tsc store this week. no information needed there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:48 pm 

I watched a guy ffreak ouyt in Walmert a while back...

They said "I need your drivers license", he says "Ii don't have one and there is no law in Canada that says I have to be a licensed driver to buy this (whatever it was) pellet gun or a firearm for that matter"...The lady didn't know what to do :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:16 pm 

I whipped out my PAL last time I got asked for ID at Canadian Tire.........and then I told them I was just going to order my pellets online because their price was too high :)
I really had no intention of buying them anyway, just wanted to prove a point

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:37 pm 

The people behind the counter are just "Employee" and they are just doing what they are told.
If you have a "Burning Desire" to make a point, ask to speak to the Manager.
That would not get you anywhere but at least it would be brought up at the next store meeting.
At Le Baron, was asked for Name and Telephone No. to purchase Pellets.
Was told if not, then the pellets cannot leave the Store.

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:40 pm 

I understand the need for certain protocols when it comes to a retailer protecting their own behinds because of certain laws. I did think it was rather odd though, when I went into my local LeBarons to grab some .177 lead pellets and they insisted I produce my drivers license. That's a little bit overkill as far as I'm concerned, to the point where I said to the cashier "Is this a precaution geared towards being able to identify me when I take down a couple of Brinks guards with this ammo?" She was pretty good natured fortunately, and just laughed it off. If it was an actual air "gun" I was purchasing, I understand completely. Where does it stop though??? Will I have to produce ID the next time I stop in to pick up some pellgun oil or a paper target?

Absolutely ridiculous.

Cheers,

Parky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:55 pm 

esrevenge wrote:
Apparently they want your First Name, Last Name, Drivers License Number, Home Address, Phone, and some other information...they have a book stored behind the counter to record all this.

I wanted to buy the 29.99 Red Ryder bb gun, so its hardly controlled goods, or a PAL item.

I didnt feel like having all my info recorded so I didnt buy it...wasnt going to argue with the manager, its store policy. Record book had about 30 pages of names filled out which I perused while waiting for the manager, so I guess sheeple dont mind.

BB gun in question...

I suspect you are in Ontario, I think this may be the only province with a Provincial requirement for stores to keep this information. Everywhere else it is not legal for a store to keep this information at the request of the provincial CFO. (Quebec may have different regulations)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:58 pm 

I think it is store to store with CT.. not a provincial thing... here in Campbellford (read rural) I have bought rifles and ammo (AG) without a blink... they just carry the ammo to the cash. I watched 2 guys today ask for and be given boxes of PB ammo today with flashing a card (granted they may be local and known the staff which also lends credit to where you are makes a difference).

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:05 pm 

I have yet to have anyone ask for ID, forget ask to write it down. Some stores like CT and Princess Auto walk it to the front with you, like they do for every other in cabinet item. Since Ontario does require 18 and older only, I can see some might want to cover their tails, like seeing ID the same as for booze or smokes, but they would get no sale from me if they wanted to record the purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:43 pm 

I've heard of this problem before but I do believe that it is simply the policy of one store not the entire Cdn Tire chain. Simply go to another store.
Just last month I bought a Browning Leverage air rifle at a Cdn Tire and they didn't even ask to see proof of age.

Sometimes at WalMart when I buy pellets from some pimply faced kid he asks me for ID to prove I'm over eighteen. It's a requirement I guess, a reminder even comes up on his cash to ask the question.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:22 pm 

Its just a privacy thing for me. Like I said, I could have literally walked out with that book full of everyone names, address and drivers license numbers. Its just behind the counter for anyone to snatch, not secure information in anyway.

Bought a Daisy 953 2 weeks ago, and 1377 pistol and ammo, from TSC and Amazon respectively, no ID checks there.

I dont see how taking this info helps anything if its not consistent...I can buy a Crosman Phantom next door at the Walmart with no ID check. And there is no serial number on these bb guns, no way to check the barrel to the bb etc.

If anything slingshots should need a PAL, those can do more damage than a Red Ryder...

Last edited by esrevenge on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:26 pm 

2240mod wrote:
The people behind the counter are just "Employee" and they are just doing what they are told.
If you have a "Burning Desire" to make a point, ask to speak to the Manager.
That would not get you anywhere but at least it would be brought up at the next store meeting.
At Le Baron, was asked for Name and Telephone No. to purchase Pellets.
Was told if not, then the pellets cannot leave the Store.

I did ask to speak to the manager, but no one could find him. So I just said to put the bb gun back; I wasnt going to buy it if ID was required.

I know the kids working there just have to follow rules, Im not out to debate anyone or give anyone a hard time. Staff is going a good job working hard to earn money just like anyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:55 pm 

I see the point here, if they are writing down personal information, how exactly are they protecting it???

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:04 pm 

CT is franchised so it's just a store thing. I bought pellet gun from the local CT without any of that crap. Don't remember if I showed my ID, but nothing was written down that's for sure.