Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:36 pm 

I recently bought myself the "KWC Full Metal 1911 Co2 (Airsoft) [KCB-76AHN]" from SurplusIG.com with steel BBs.
http://www.surplusig.com/index.php?main ... 2jpsm2hlj4

Where are we allowed to shoot these airguns with steel BBs in or around Montreal where the Police or bystanders will not bother us? Or, where are there field targets where we can practice shooting these kinds of airguns?

Note that I used to play Airsoft back in 2011, and I had bought several gas pistols from buyairsoft.ca. But, then I stopped playing because I injured my wrist and it took 3-6 months to recover. During that time I sold all my airsoft guns. Now, I recently bought the full metal KWC with steel BBs just for the fun of shooting, but I dont know where I could shoot without having to go to a paintball arena.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:24 pm 

Most, if not all, field target (FT) clubs ban the use of BBs because of the very high ricochet risk.

Part of the CEO rules for FT ranges is that only lead and lead alloys can be used.

This is rule # 9 from the Port Club:

9. All pellets must be entirely made of lead or lead alloy. BBs will not be allowed on the field target course.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:51 am 

For this type of airguns past 20-25 feet the accuracy falls down.

If you have about that space available in your basement or garage, you can shoot inside.

As they are not very powerful, a simple box with a couple of thick denim curtains hanging loosely inside should be enough as a backdrop.

I have been shooting inside since 1998 and as I was progressing to more accurate airguns I was simply reducing the size of the targets at slightly under 10 meters (space available in my basement).

R-Gun Pete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:06 pm 

blop2008 wrote:
I recently bought myself the "KWC Full Metal 1911 Co2 (Airsoft) [KCB-76AHN]" from SurplusIG.com with steel BBs.
http://www.surplusig.com/index.php?main ... 2jpsm2hlj4

Where are we allowed to shoot these airguns with steel BBs in or around Montreal where the Police or bystanders will not bother us? Or, where are there field targets where we can practice shooting these kinds of airguns?

Note that I used to play Airsoft back in 2011, and I had bought several gas pistols from buyairsoft.ca. But, then I stopped playing because I injured my wrist and it took 3-6 months to recover. During that time I sold all my airsoft guns. Now, I recently bought the full metal KWC with steel BBs just for the fun of shooting, but I dont know where I could shoot without having to go to a paintball arena.

Thank you!

I'd check the game regulations first, then consider shooting in the country - ask a farmer if you can shoot a BB gun in his bush or back 40 acres. As for shooting in Montreal- doubt it. The police will consider a BB gun as a firearm, as will the municipality of Montreal itself.

The reason I said to check the game regulations is that some Provinces require you "to possess a valid hunting license if you Are in a place that game inhabits" - that would mean a farmer's bush - great place to shoot or a field where you actually set up targets. Game inhabits all areas outside a city's boundaries and that area is controlled by the Ministry of the Environment, or whatever your game branch is called.

The Province of Quebec 'probably' also considers the BB gun as a firearm - the game regs will tell you. Propelled by combustion of a substance, spring, string or air perhaps - it is incumbent upon you to check it YOURSELF.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:32 pm 

Thank you all!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:00 pm 

Good luck, I have been looking for more than a year for a place to shoot to (Mtl area) Got to go way out of town. Had a place on the south shore but the farmer denied accessx to his field :cry: after being heavily argued with some young fellow with no brain :evil:

Still looking.

By the way did no knew about regulation prohibiting shooting BB's in club's :evil:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:21 pm 

There were some kids shooting semi-auto handguns with BB's at the Old's shoot last spring. Some of us talking behind the firing line received the odd bounce-back. I can see why their use would be restricted in areas where litigation might ensue if someone felt or was damaged by a ricochet - thus, no use in clubs makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:06 am 

I would suggest, first of all, that you check the box in which your pistol arrived: Airsoft guns do not shoot 4.5 mm steel BBs; they shoot 6mm plastic BBs. Take a steel BB shooter on an airsoft field and you'll walk out of there with more than a sore wrist. That, of course, begs the question of whether you have any previous experience with either airsoft guns or BB guns.

Shoot your airsoft gun indoors in a controlled area, or join an airsoft team/facility. Those are your choices in all urban areas. You can't shoot airsoft guns in a paintball arena unless they have reserved times for airsoft only. In case you didn't know, airsoft and paintball are not the in same genre, just as steel BB shooters are not in the same genre as airsoft shooters.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:35 am 

tks - missed the airsoft part! Must have had too much medicine. If indeed, you bought steel BB's with the gun, are they 6mm. Due to the low velocity of these guns with an almost weightless plastic 6mm bead, would it even shoot a 6mm BB let along one Sooooo much smaller at .177"? Wouldn't they just jam the gun up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:52 pm 

At an estimated 380 fps with .2 airsoft BBs, I would say a 6mm steel or lead ball would barely roll out of the barrel. Load its mag with 4.5mm BBs and the results would be laughable, starting with trying to keep the BBs in the magazine.

Gotta love that medicine! :tonqe: