Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:39 am 

From today's flyer. Note that prices are effective next Tuesday.

Both .17 pellet guns, Daisy shoots BBs too. Not rifled barrel. For the price, why not add to the collection?
The Ruger is a "youth" rifle, short and small. Don't think I could shoot it with my longer arms but would be nice for the wife and for when the boy grows a bit. Looks good enough.

Although sale for the Ruger is supposed to start next Tuesday their website lists it for $70 (Amazon sells them for over 140, Cabelas.ca lists them for $100) it makes me think that these may be found locally at the posted price. Worth it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:08 am 

Cool deals!!

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:03 am 

Called both PA in town, neither has the Ruger till Tuesday, the day the sale starts.
Guess that'll give me enough time to think this over, whether it's money well spent.
Time... an impulsive shopper's greatest deterrent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:24 pm 

Is the Ruger rifle worth the $69?
Can't you order it online for the sale price?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:45 pm 

SureShot wrote:
Is the Ruger rifle worth the $69?
Can't you order it online for the sale price?

Why? So that I have to be made wait for over a week, pay for shipping and if there's an issue with it now I need to pay for shipping it back?
Princess Auto has excellent return policy. And they're 5 minutes away.

Edit: oops, I misread your post. I thought you suggested ordering it online from elsewhere. No, you can't order online from Princess atm, it says out of stock and to contact a store. Which I did, as seen above and was told no candy till tuesday.
Not sure if it's a good purchase but the pistol for $15 is a must have.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:21 am 

I've checked their website and it appears that the Ruger isn't on sale. The regular price seems to be $69.

When the Smith and Wesson M&P came up on sale for $45.99 I ordered one online because the nearest PA store is three and a half hours away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:42 am 

Look like the Ruger rifle is coming on as "new" product at CTC for 89.
is it possible this is basically and air or night hawk with yet another stock?

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 am 

Sure shot, sorry again for misreading your message.
If you look at Princess's page for the Ruger, you'll find 2 different SKU. The one listed on the site is what I gave one store to do a product search. Was told it was a surplus item and they had none with no expected date for new ones (there were none left). The SKU on the flier shows as it being an item arriving on Tuesday.
I agree that if you live away from a PA and ordering online to be a good idea, it is a lot cheaper than anyplace else (the cheapest I found was Capela's Canada, although this store is typically overpriced anyway). And as stated, I can't think of a store that has better return policy. I have returned items over a year later (that wasn't used). I plan to be there early on Tuesday for one and below is why.

Plinkercases, that's a good observation. I guess if anyone would know it'd be you. When comparing both side by side you'll see that the Explorer (as it's called at Pyramid) has a 9cm shorter barrel. Aside from that and a lot of complaint on the trigger, it looks virtually identical, with a different stock. Which I actually like, I don't have thing for wood stock. It's also a lot lighter.

And the weight is what's going to prompt me to get one. Last night we opened up the 953 we got from Pyramid, since we only have another week to test it to ensure all is well. And since the one you sent us will be here Monday we figured why not get a head start. Wife found it too heavy, believe it or not. Had a tough time even while resting on the table. Couldn't hit the target with the fibre optics sights. I'm sure the scoped one we're getting from you will make it a lot more fun for her. But we should have at least one half decent rifle that she can practice on that has open sights. Since we plan to get rid of the scopeless 953, this Ruger Explorer from Princess seems like an ideal option. Short, light, decent sights and now that I know it's the Air Hawk small brother, I bet it'd be a great gun. Of course I may have to look into improving the trigger, if it's as bad as some claim.

Oh and of course, cannot pass on that Daisy 201. Hopefully that's a gun wife can reload on her own. She won't cock the P17

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:18 am 

Plinkercases wrote:
Look like the Ruger rifle is coming on as "new" product at CTC for 89.
is it possible this is basically and air or night hawk with yet another stock?

Ruger explorer... http://www.airgundepot.com/ruger-explor ... 5-fps.html

Been looking at them at the walmart here, think there around the $89 price tag. Not sure whats a re-branded what anymore :( decent buy im guessin at $69 ;) mostly positive reviews on the site but im not much of a bird shooter lol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:13 pm 

I bought a Ruger explorer last year when Princess Auto had them on sale. They were $69 then too. They have "factory recon" stamped on the box and brother do I believe it. Mine came with a damaged breech end of the barrel (where the pellet goes in). Sorry for the fancy terminology there guys. Still learning the parts. It was pretty chewed up. Not sure if it was dry fired, just soft metal, or what. Also- the sights couldn't be raised high enough to sight in properly. I had to shim some paper under the rear sight just to get the elevation I needed. The rear sight is adjustable for windage, but there is no discernible click, there's a lot of play in the mechanism, and it tends to drift. It's a springer and boy does it kick (for an air rifle). You'll have to experiment with your grip on this one. The stock is comfortable and isn't a bad fit for a shorter adult. It's a nice looking rifle, comfortable grip for sure. The trigger takes a bit of a pull but it's not too bad there effort wise. The front fibre optic sight is very easy to see. The rear safety is put in a good spot- easily reached. It auto safety's every shot though.

This is the same rifle that after one year of gross neglect by myself and oldest son has to go on the operating table tomorrow. The barrel refuses to break back open. Still haven't had a chance to figure that one out.

If it were me, knowing what I know now, I'd steer clear from it. There are much better rifles to be had. This one is for kids and it's why the stock was made to look cool- just to appeal to them. For $69 you could almost buy a much more accurate Crosman American Classic. Then you could mod the **** out of it. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:26 pm 

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea these were recons. Then again it shouldn't come as a surprise, PA is notorious for doing this. Still though, a lot of their reconditioned stuff is pretty good, save perhaps your experience. I bought an electric chain saw that was on sale (recon) 2 months ago and I couldn't tell it from a brand new one. Chopped down a 9m tall tree and made firewood with its thick trunk. Worked like a charm and the $30 that it cost saved me huge $$ if I had rented a gasser.

But knowing some of what to look out for is good as I can fully test it and return/exchange it a short while later. Nice to live 5 min from them (or 20 min to the other location in town).

If wife had taken to the 953 (again, not the scoped one that Murray sent and will be here in a couple of days) then I'd pass on this Explorer. But the 953 seems too big for her, certainly a lot heavier than the Crosman 1077 co2 that she has become greatly fond of. That's why I think the Explorer would be good to get as long as it's working fully. Will be good for us both to practice with open sights.

Besides, that's the nice thing about princess auto: don't like it, bring it back for a full refund, no questions asked. Kinda like buying from Pyramyd without the annoying shipping delays and costs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:09 am 

Im glad I kept reading up on this thread cuz I just now realized its Princess Auto not TSC and that these are reconditioned jobbies :oops: lol I was looking at these guns in walmart (along with the Umarex Surge) just cuz its something I havent got to dissect (yet) and currently have a Blackhawk on the chopping block that showed great potential accuracy wise but was lacking in the power department (pellets barely dented wood possibly from the former owner leaving it cocked for a very very long time :( ) Thanks yall for clearing up my obvious oversight on this ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:41 am 

I'm kind of interested in that Mossberg airsoft shotgun, even though I don't do airsoft and not really keen to shoot much - the biodegradable pellets I shot into the yard last winter are still there and don't show much sign of going away :\

For $14.99 though, Hell I've spent more than that on a plate of nachos...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:51 am 

gctkaz wrote:
I'm kind of interested in that Mossberg airsoft shotgun, even though I don't do airsoft and not really keen to shoot much - the biodegradable pellets I shot into the yard last winter are still there and don't show much sign of going away :\

For $14.99 though, Hell I've spent more than that on a plate of nachos...

That caught my eye aswell ;) lol i had a similar styled one a while back and had quite a bit of fun with it lol just broke my sig replica plastic popper and still have a bucket of bb's :( plus taking out flies with them can be way to much fun and for the $15 its totally worth it jus for the entertainment value!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:08 am 

Hacked, be glad it's from Prin A and not TSC. This means you can grab one, do your thing hacking it 2 pieces, rearrange all of their insides like a Mexican surgeon, bandage it all up - err I mean, put it all back together and return it to PA a couple of months later. And much like doctors a couple of borders down south you'll gain the benefit of the experience with no worries of consequences at the end.

For $15 that airsoft does look good. Not that I do much with 6mm plastic BBs, I have over 2,000 of them. But after seeing those darn balls bouncing and ricocheting around everywhere without hitting the target means a lot of annoying clean up at the end with little satisfaction of seeing the target being hit.

Why are airsoft so poor at targeting? Oh year, non rifled barrels and round BBs.