Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 2240 red dot sight
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:36 pm 

I need a scope or sight for my 2240. I'm thinking about trying the Crosman red dot sight from Canadian tire. Has anyone tried this sight? Any reviews would be appreciated. I have already upgraded my breach to a steal one.

Tazz

Post subject: Re: 2240 red dot sight
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:55 pm 

Get the Tasco red dot with the .22lr rail on it. Just mounted mine last night on my 2540.
Amazon.ca usually has them, plus FREE shipping.

I have had this site for ten years and keep moving it from gun to gun. Great site for $35(what I originally paid).

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

Last edited by rrdstarr on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:04 pm 

I bought this one a week or two ago for about $25 from Canadian Tire:
http://www.crosman.com/optics/sights/0290RD (I can't find it on the CT website now so maybe it's discontinued?)

Anyhow, it's very flimsy cheap junk. I was prepared for that going in, so I wasn't too upset. But it's not worth the $25 that CT wanted for it. Probably not worth the $16 that Crosman lists it for.

The wiring and switch are of poor quality, the dot's brightness varies from too-bright to rather dull depending on how cooperative the switch is feeling at any given time.

Having said all that, it does seem to be more or less accurate once it's dialed in, but I don't expect it to work for very long before the switch or wiring fail. It's the only red-dot sight I've used and I'm no expert marksman so I'm not qualified to say how accurate it will be for anyone else, just that it was ok for my needs.

I would not recommend it, based entirely on the cheap materials and flakey electrics.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:42 pm 

Got this same Crosman red dot last month at princess auto for $19. To me the main thing is how bright the red dot is. These are often too bright to the point they obscure the target, rendering them useless. The Crosman is no different, it's a single dot but a very strong one with plenty of glare as well.
I found a simple, effective solution: cut the lens from a broken sunglasses and placed it in front of the rectangular lens of the red dot. Works great for cutting down on the brightness and the glow around it. However it would be virtually unusable in dark conditions. I have a strong halogen lamp shining upon my target, so not an issue for me. Note the pics show the unfinished product, I still plan to cut it smaller and do a better job taping. But as a first experiment, I'm quite pleased.

Since it's a princess auto thing I bought it with the expectation to try it and return it should it not work out. Have a whole year or longer to return it, so for now I'm just hanging on to it, seeing how the fix works well. Initially I had it in a springer, fully expecting it to break apart. Hasn't, but the recoil messes with the zero a bit, as the adjustment knobs aren't great. Since then I put it in one of the 953s and it's been working great. I do enjoy shooting with a red dot, whether on rifles or pistols. I have a far better old crosman red dot (discontinued) on my P17 that gives you a tiny red dot (and a brighter one if you choose) that is ideal for target shooting. Far better construction than the newer design listed above, that is made in China (read junk).

If I were you I'd get one from princess auto and try it out. Stop by a dollar store and pick up a pair of shades, cut the lens and tape it in front of the red dot lens like I did. You may actually like it, as long as you shoot in bright conditions (a spot light atop the target is all you need). I hate the idea to have to spend $70 on a red dot when the majority of my guns cost less than that.

Attachments:
reddot shaded.jpg
reddot shaded.jpg [ 96.84 KiB | Viewed 2661 times ]

Last edited by Joolz on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:36 am 

This one, it has a tiny 3 moa dot w/c is very small and nice for precision shooting..

http://www.amazon.com/Millett-1X20-Rifl ... et+red+dot

This one is also ok, the rail lock is reversible so it can be a Picatinny/Weaver or a dovetail..The dot is not that small though..

http://www.amazon.com/BSA-30mm-Red-Dot- ... sa+red+dot

The Crosman red dot is pure crap I gave mine to my carpenter and he uses it on his marble gun.

I bought cheap red dots when I was still a newbie.

I personally used ( I scoped them now) a Burris FastFire ll and an Aimpoint Micro T1 2 moa red dot on my Crosmans.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:18 am 

Crossliner

Wow!!
Those sure are nice looking air rifles you have. :shock:
Lots of thought went into them I bet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:23 am 

Thank you sir..The Millet is a well liked red dot, my Crosman brothers always endorse it. Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:22 am 

tazz wrote:
I'm thinking about trying the Crosman red dot sight from Canadian tire. Has anyone tried this sight? Any reviews would be appreciated.
Tazz

Hi Tazz, it's easy to talk trash about a crappy product - and the consensus is that the Crosman red dot deserves it.
However judge for yourself on these pics instead. For anyone reading this thread that happens to be on a budget or want a cheap red dot to try and see if it's something you'd like and may invest on a decent one later, I hope this extra info helps you decide if this cheap red dot is a good way to start.

Please note that I couldn't have accomplished this without first modding the red dot with the cut out lens from a sunglass in order to cut back on glare. I have a 3 MOA red dot on a pellet pistol and the Crosman is a lot bigger, not to mention the glare from the overly bright laser makes target shooting almost impossible. That is, until you do the cheap mod.

To better help illustrate: with the tiny 3 MOA red dot aiming at a black circle the size of a dime from 6m away, the dot covers about 1/4 of the circle. This is superb for target shooting. However the Crosman covers nearly the entire circle - and this is with the sunglasses cover in front of it. So basically I just aimed atop the dime sized target and fired 5 shots at each. You decide if this $20 investment (plus a buck for a dollar store sunglasses) is worth having. Please note that the adjustments haven't moved on the pneumatic 953, which wasn't the case with the springer. This was shot with little kids screaming close to me, running and jumping around in my peripheral vision, truly tormenting me and ruining my concentration - but still managed to get all 20 pellets on target.

I enjoy every facet of aiming, from open sights to scopes to red dots. If you haven't tried a red dot yet, I'm sure you will enjoy it, I find it especially useful on a pistol. If you're on a budget why not give it a try? If you don't like it you can always return it for a full refund, so what's to lose?

Attachments:
crosman red dot.jpg
crosman red dot.jpg [ 69.39 KiB | Viewed 2537 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:56 am 

Hi Joolz my apologies if I came in too strong. The reason why I am endorsing reasonably well accepted products is because of my location..I buy stuff from the US and just have them sent here. I cannot risk going for crappy brands and besides sporting goods in my country cost almost 3x as what you are paying for there so I go for the higher stuff. Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:22 am 

Not at all, in fact this thread prompted me to realize it's time to invest on a decent one. Plan on returning the Crosman back to Princess Auto, that was an experiment and actually worked better than expected, for a device I had little hope for.
But yeah, if I were in your shoes I wouldn't take a chance on cheap prod like that. But we're spoiled here, we can just go to a Princess Auto get whatever they have in stock, try it out and return it without worries. Can Tire isn't as open and have a short return window but still works for those not close to a PA. That's why I don't mind trying out the cheap stuff first. And a rifle like the 953 deserves a decent red dot.

I still think that the Crosman isn't a bad way to start out for those trying one for the first time, as long as you can buy it locally and return it without hassle (plus do the sunglasses lens mod). I personally don't like the fibre optics in the 953 so that's a good candidate for a red dot. Just not the Crosman.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:10 pm 

With regards to PA returns, do they give full money back, or store credit instead?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:30 pm 

Full money back, they strive to give you the best possible customer service. So far they haven't disappointed.
Which is why today I returned the Crosman red dot, as I had alluded to above (while I was there shopping for a couple of guns).
Earlier in the day I bought a NcStar red dot, below is a pic of it. Although the Crosman red dot was workable, I just couldn't live with the large dot, even with the sunglasses mod. That red dot should only be used for guys playing with airsoft gun where accuracy isn't important and you're aim at a human target, not dime sized dots from a distance. In fact this red dot used to come with tactical mount. Should have stuck with it, as dovetail for airguns for that pos just doesn't cut it. Due to this I truly can't recommend the Crosman, although for those on a budget, it will do the job. Below is a tighter grouping I got with the Ncstar red dot that has a far smaller red dot (plus 3 other reticles, both in red and green and with 3 levels of brightness each). But the greatest advantage of the better red dot is the ability to adjust it with the clicks instead of a wobbly screw that is notorious for not holding zero.

So for those that proposed you spend more money on a better red dot are correct, it is worth the extra money. But if you're on a very tight budget and/or want to experiment, why not do as I did: get one from princess auto, try it out (plus the mandatory cutting back on glare solution) and see how it goes.

One thing is for sure though: a red dot does add a level of accuracy and experience that is worth considering. I'm sure the 2240 is a better target shooter than the P17 but you may find that using a red dot to greatly improve accuracy. At least that's what I found when I added one to the P17.

Attachments:
ncstar red dot.jpg
ncstar red dot.jpg [ 75.51 KiB | Viewed 2453 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:20 pm 

Thanks for all the info guys.
Since I changed to the steel breach I can't hit anything without the rear site.
So I tried the cheap Canada tire red dot site, didn't like it so I returned it.
I seen the Tasco red dot it looks nice but I think it may be to big since I want to keep my 2240 a pistol.
So I ordered a small compact laser c/w mounting ring on e-bay for cheap. While I wait I have installed my Rugers scope to keep me shooting straight. :D
Has anyone tried the laser pointer on the pistol, if so how was it?

Tazz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:01 pm 

And thank you for starting this thread.
It prompted me to get a better red dot which as seen in the pics, is suitable for target shooting, unlike the Crosman one. You probably saw how very large and bright that red dot is. Even with my trick to eliminate the glare it's still too large. Think Crosman should continue to sell it with a picatinny mount to the airsoft crowd and not bother offering it with a dovetail mount.

Crossliner, if you have the nicest 2240s I've ever seen. hope they shoot as well as they look.
PS: are those silencers? Or just a buffleless wrapper? Whatever it is, it looks amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:15 pm 

Joolz wrote:
And thank you for starting this thread.
It prompted me to get a better red dot which as seen in the pics, is suitable for target shooting, unlike the Crosman one. You probably saw how very large and bright that red dot is. Even with my trick to eliminate the glare it's still too large. Think Crosman should continue to sell it with a picatinny mount to the airsoft crowd and not bother offering it with a dovetail mount.

Crossliner, if you have the nicest 2240s I've ever seen. hope they shoot as well as they look.
PS: are those silencers? Or just a buffleless wrapper? Whatever it is, it looks amazing.

Hi Joolz, yes it's a real silencer, a Weirauch actually..They are Crosman 2400KTs w/c I ordered from the Crosman Custom Shop and had them sent to the Philippines. The brass embellished one sports a LW barrel and yes they are very accurate shooters.

I had my Crosmans refinished btw, they have been reblued because I don't like their original finish..The frame grips as well as the barrel bands have also been powdercoated post bead blasting..As you can see there are no casting marks anymore..

I have 4 silencers, 2 of w/c are all delrin MWSS and the 3rd one a UK Neil made by Neil Price..

Hi Tazz could you please show us pics of your laser? I have not mounted mine yet, it is a Viridian C5L green laser w/ built in torch.