Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:45 pm 

wllm995 wrote:
paddyfritz wrote:
Trigger locks are absolute useless garbage. You can remove one with a hammer and punch with one or two soft taps.

Quote:
Storing Firearms Safely

Unload and lock your firearms!

Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms.

Non-restricted firearms

Attach a secure locking device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock (or remove the bolt) so the firearms cannot be fired; or
trigger lock cable lock

Lock the firearms in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into.
locked container locked cabinet

If it good enough for the RCMP - it is good enough for me.

:?

So is putting it in a locked cabinet, removing the bolt, trigger group etc.
For the cost of 10 trigger locks, you can buy a 10 gun cabinet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:55 pm 

If somebody wants to pickup a couple of trigger locks...here's a few cheapies from Hong Kong. Free International shipping too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Key-Gun-Tri ... 25949594bc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:18 pm 

......I'm all for safety, using common sense.....That's the reason I keep my power tools out of reach as well as my firearms.....Actually, I won't even lend a tool to someone unfamiliar with it,-- they either break the tool or hurt themselves or screw up the job...........My concern is when "safety" is used in the context of legislation, especially when there's a 'marketable' component to it.......99% of us have the common sense to be safe and keep others safe.....but when a legislation is passed using that 1% as an excuse, I have to believe there's more to it than 'safety'......I don't know, but when a new legislation creates a market for an item, you really have to wonder.......For me, I've watched the same scenario happen over and over for quite a few years and can only conclude that we Canadians just can't take care of ourselves using our own common sense, or something nefarious has infected our levels of government......I know, the Supreme Court is separate from Gov't,....................But who are those judges hanging around with?.....................You'll find me in my bomb shelter, just stocking up supplies........................

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:59 am 

paddyfritz wrote:
Trigger locks are absolute useless garbage. You can remove one with a hammer and punch with one or two soft taps.

Sorry...this is ridiculous.
So I guess you don't lock your doors in your home, your car, may as well leave your valuables in plain sight at all time because a determined thief can break into anything.
Your right...with a hammer and chisel you can defeat a trigger lock...but unless you are very careful you will likely damage the trigger to the point where it won't fire.
What trigger locks are also meant to do is to stop prying children's hands from creating a tragedy, as well as maybe giving the emotional gun owner a few moments to consider 'offing' his wife or committing suicide.
Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:36 pm 

bobtodrick wrote:
paddyfritz wrote:

So I guess you don't lock your doors in your home, your car, may as well leave your valuables in plain sight at all time because a determined thief can break into anything.
Your right...with a hammer and chisel you can defeat a trigger lock...but unless you are very careful you will likely damage the trigger to the point where it won't fire.
What trigger locks are also meant to do is to stop prying children's hands from creating a tragedy, as well as maybe giving the emotional gun owner a few moments to consider 'offing' his wife or committing suicide.
Ridiculous.

I stand by my statement that they are useless garbage. Have you ever removed a trigger lock using something other than a key ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:49 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
bobtodrick wrote:
paddyfritz wrote:

Ridiculous.

I stand by my statement that they are useless garbage. Have you ever removed a trigger lock using something other than a key ?

This isn't even worth discussing...you're mind is on one track...a determined thief.
Did you even read the part about children?????
These are the trigger locks I use http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefro ... 00933.html
I actually defy you to get this off with a hammer and chisel without kacking the trigger.

Last edited by bobtodrick on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:51 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

paddyfritz wrote:

Does a drill press count? That was the last keyed lock I bought.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:36 pm 

Trigger locks serve a useful purpose, the views of the close-minded notwithstanding. Sure, a determined person can easily google how to remove a trigger lock and remove one as I did when none of my keys would work (I still haven't figured out how that happened; I'm guessing there was another shooter at the range who also ended up unable to open the lock on his gun). A trigger lock on a gun would prevent a child from using the gun. If that's the only thing a trigger lock succeeds in doing, then it serves a very good purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:12 pm 

Here is an interesting quick read:

http://smartgunlaws.org/safe-storage-gun-locks-policy-summary/

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:09 pm 

Ridiculous.[/quote]

I stand by my statement that they are useless garbage. Have you ever removed a trigger lock using something other than a key ?[/quote]

This isn't even worth discussing...you're mind is on one track...a determined thief.
These are the trigger locks I use http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefro ... 00933.html
I actually defy you to get this off with a hammer and chisel without kacking the trigger.[/quote]

You have been listening to the anti's for too long, think of the children.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:07 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
Ridiculous.

I stand by my statement that they are useless garbage. Have you ever removed a trigger lock using something other than a key ?[/quote]

I actually defy you to get this off with a hammer and chisel without kacking the trigger.[/quote]

You have been listening to the anti's for too long, think of the children.[/quote]

Ya gotta loosen that tinfoil had paddy!!!
And maybe ease up on the beer (assuming you're at all like your personality icon).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:12 pm 

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the need for all this paddy-whacking; he's entitled to an opinion as everyone on this forum is. Not only that, he's right, under circumstances where a perp is intent on making a stolen gun useable. You whackers are right, too, for a curious child cannot accidentally discharge a trigger-locked gun (just as that same child could not accidentally discharge a gun that was PROVE'd before it was put away)

Geez, we're all on the same side, here. Mince words with your MLA and MP about the stupid regulations. And as for you "whackers" who suggest a trigger lock's usefulness in delaying a suicidal person long enough so s/he won't follow up -- well, that shows your complete ignorance of issues that lead to suicidal tendencies. You might as well also suggest that a trigger lock will deter a person from playing russian roulette, or detain a person sufficiently to avoid a domestic shooting.

Maybe if the cops had to have their guns trigger-locked, they'd actually have time to think before wasting another innocent civilian anywhere in North America.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:32 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the need for all this paddy-whacking; he's entitled to an opinion as everyone on this forum is. Not only that, he's right, under circumstances where a perp is intent on making a stolen gun useable. You whackers are right, too, for a curious child cannot accidentally discharge a trigger-locked gun (just as that same child could not accidentally discharge a gun that was PROVE'd before it was put away)

Geez, we're all on the same side, here. Mince words with your MLA and MP about the stupid regulations. And as for you "whackers" who suggest a trigger lock's usefulness in delaying a suicidal person long enough so s/he won't follow up -- well, that shows your complete ignorance of issues that lead to suicidal tendencies. You might as well also suggest that a trigger lock will deter a person from playing russian roulette, or detain a person sufficiently to avoid a domestic shooting.

Maybe if the cops had to have their guns trigger-locked, they'd actually have time to think before wasting another innocent civilian anywhere in North America.

Sorry 500, but it is you who are in ignorance of the facts.
Just google 'gun locks suicide' and a wealth of researched links come up
http://www.intheforefront.org/simple-gu ... nt-suicide
http://www.npr.org/2013/03/07/173609220 ... t-suicides
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 001554.htm

I'm amazed that people are actually arguing this point. That people actually think that spending fifteen bucks is not worth it to possibly prevent a suicide or accidental death.
No wonder the anti gun people think we're a bunch of loons.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:03 am 

I was sitting in a waiting room last night and had to see the citypulse scroll fro an hour. A woman was shot by her 3 year old and a sibling was shot by their younger sibling yesterday. Mind you both in the states but... still sad and avoidable.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:11 am 

bobtodrick wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:

Sorry 500, but it is you who are in ignorance of the facts.
Just google 'gun locks suicide' and a wealth of researched links come up
http://www.intheforefront.org/simple-gu ... nt-suicide
http://www.npr.org/2013/03/07/173609220 ... t-suicides
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 001554.htm

I'm amazed that people are actually arguing this point. That people actually think that spending fifteen bucks is not worth it to possibly prevent a suicide or accidental death.
No wonder the anti gun people think we're a bunch of loons.

How about we get back on topic as to the use of a trigger lock or not, Gentleman :D

Whitewolf