Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman 2240 safety
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:19 pm 

The next time I have my 2240 apart I'm going to try and reverse my safety.

I'm left handed so the safety is just a pain, it's always digging into my trigger finger.

Is it possible to reverse the safety??

Tazz

Post subject: Re: Crosman 2240 safety
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:20 pm 

Sorry I guess I should have posted this in the mod section.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:49 pm 

nope it will not work you need one that is made to go the other way i seen someone that made them but for the life of me i can`t remember who sorry if i find out i`ll let you know

Jim

Crosman 2240 stubby
Crosman 116
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman 2260
Crosman AS2250
Winchester M14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:13 am 

Yeah, it looks like from the left side location of the safety spring and bearing you're out of luck for switching it over to leftie. You would have to fill the spring/bearing chamber and build a new location for the safety detent on the right side to enable a leftie orientation for the safety rod. Too bad. I'm similarly interested in switching something on my 2240, the cocking lever, as I'm a rightie. Guess I could hunt down a steel breech with a left-side lever and slot, but I figure I've spent enough on the steel breech and other mods to my 2240 and don't really feel like dropping more on the gun so I'll just live with cocking it on the 'wrong' side for my handedness. Perhaps you could trim 1.5 or 2mm from the left end of your safety rod and that might be sufficient to make it less annoying? Sand it smooth at the cut end. Maybe trim down the surround on the frame and enable even further trimming of the rod? That's what I'd do if I were left handed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:24 am 

tazz wrote:
The next time I have my 2240 apart I'm going to try and reverse my safety.

I'm left handed so the safety is just a pain, it's always digging into my trigger finger.

Is it possible to reverse the safety??

Tazz

Here it is, the LEFTY safety :drinkers:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:53 am 

Since I'm not a machinist I'll have to find someone that makes these.
I have thought about trimming this one down a little bit.
For sure Jim let me know if you ever find the left handed supplier.

tazz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:03 am 

tazz wrote:
Since I'm not a machinist I'll have to find someone that makes these.
I have thought about trimming this one down a little bit.
For sure Jim let me know if you ever find the left handed supplier.

tazz

You can show this drawing to Herr Rick/Rrdstarr or to any machinist in this forum..It was provided by a talented Crosman bro of mine btw.

Some of my Crosman brothers made 1 or 2 for themselves using simple tools..Me I took the drawings to the machinist and had them cnc'ed..

Here is 1 of my machined aftermarket Crosman part..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:10 pm 

I will say this about that.
Last year I fully modded a 2240 for my son for Xmas, with virtual all mods done and custom parts installed. Ex: wood grips, fully adjustable trigger & sear, steel breech, LPA MIM sight etc. etc. then tuned and chronied to shoot @485 FPS.
So during final assembly I inadvertently installed the custom "BRASS SAFETY PIN" backwards, and quickly realized this when I charged it for the final chrony test. DUH!
So I used it as is for the chrony test, the safety did function and did its job as a safety should. However the pin was slightly off set from its proper orientation and the detent ball obviously did not engage properly so that issue would have to addressed. My thoughts at this time were " this must be a nuisance for any lefties shooting a 2240" as the safety pin was digging in to my trigger finger with each shot.
"Quite annoying"!
So 1 more disassembly/reassembly and all was good.
Well I hope someone finds this info useful, and IMO a lefty safety pin could be easily fabricated and if I was a lefty it would be the very first mod that i would do.
Good Luck with this guys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:24 pm 

rangerll wrote:
I will say this about that.
Last year I fully modded a 2240 for my son for Xmas, with virtual all mods done and custom parts installed. Ex: wood grips, fully adjustable trigger & sear, steel breech, LPA MIM sight etc. etc. then tuned and chronied to shoot @485 FPS.
So during final assembly I inadvertently installed the custom "BRASS SAFETY PIN" backwards, and quickly realized this when I charged it for the final chrony test. DUH!
So I used it as is for the chrony test, the safety did function and did its job as a safety should. However the pin was slightly off set from its proper orientation and the detent ball obviously did not engage properly so that issue would have to addressed. My thoughts at this time were " this must be a nuisance for any lefties shooting a 2240" as the safety pin was digging in to my trigger finger with each shot.
"Quite annoying"!
So 1 more disassembly/reassembly and all was good.
Well I hope someone finds this info useful, and IMO a lefty safety pin could be easily fabricated and if I was a lefty it would be the very first mod that i would do.
Good Luck with this guys

You know what one of my safeties got slightly oversized ( the brass one) a bit by accident but it works really well it actually negates the use of the spring and the ball detent..It also helps that my grip frames are already powdercoated so the tolerance is a bit out of whack..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:28 pm 

I have been asked before to makes safeties. The guy wanted stainless steel. I just didn't have time at the time. If I could get an order of 10 lefties of brass, I would make them.

I am living over in Aldergrove, BC during the week for work then go home to Victoria on the weekends. Trying to find a place to live that is close to work! Maybe by the end of January I will have time to make stuff again. Right now, life/work/commute is to hectic!!!

Thanks for the plug my "Pillifino" friend! :D

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:36 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
I have been asked before to makes safeties. The guy wanted stainless steel. I just didn't have time at the time. If I could get an order of 10 lefties of brass, I would make them.

I am living over in Aldergrove, BC during the week for work then go home to Victoria on the weekends. Trying to find a place to live that is close to work! Maybe by the end of January I will have time to make stuff again. Right now, life/work/commute is to hectic!!!

Thanks for the plug my "Pillifino" friend! :D

You sir are a decent man and worth recommending :D