Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trying to decide ...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:08 am 

This has turned into a very interesting thread, (for me anyway). I thought I had it narrowed down to a couple but after reading through this I'm not so sure anymore.
To be honest, I think I have have to buy two ... not at once mind you. I really want the Henry but I realize that adding a scope to it will take away from the appeal of the gun. The looks of this gun takes me back about 40 years, not that I had one but just one of those memories. So ... I am thinking I will get one of these first and maybe upgrade the sights but nothing more and just have it as a fun shooter and depending on how good I can be with it, maybe more.
Then, after a few more paycheques, look at a Savage 93 or the Ruger or Marlin.
I think if I have time tomorrow I may drop into BassPro and see what they have in stock for these rifles and see if I can handle them a bit. It's hard, next to impossible, to decide from a web page!
I appreciate all the input so thank you.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:15 am 

About 2 years ago the guy I work with decided he needed a new .22 RIMFIRE rifle. No buggy you might say until you take into account that he is a Quadriplegic and cannot lift any great weight and has limited use of his hands.

A clip type magazine fed was out of the question as there is no way for him to load a magazine.

A Bolt action was no good either as the mechanism was just too hard to work.

He finally decided that a Lever action with a tubular mag would be his best bet so we started looking and in the end came down to just 3 serious contenders. The Browning, the Marlin and the Henry were all in the frame.

The Marlin was the first to be rejected. Too heavy and a nasty trigger. That just left two.

He bought a Henry H001 in the end. He found that the lever loop was much better finished (less angular) than the Browning and fitted his hand shape better. The rifle was also considerably lighter than the BL22.

Once he got the rifle home, I sorted the trigger out for him and the gun shoots really well with a very consistent 2 lb trigger pull. He uses his Middle finger on the trigger.

He is able to load the tubular mag using a Speed-d-loader (?) which is a great aid to anyone with limited mobility in their hands.

The Henry cost less than $300 from Flys Etc in High River, Graham and I would not hesitate to recommend this excellent little rimfire.

I personally own 4 rimfire rifles all of which you are most welcome to come and try at my place.

I have 2 bolt action .22's and a bolt action .17HMR. I also own a 10/22.

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:31 pm 

Dave, I may have to take you up on that offer. I went to BassPro today and had a look at the Henry Golden Boy lever action. No doubt about it, a very nice looking gun, but not what I was expecting. Not really sure what I was expecting but this gun looked more like a toy then a gun ... very nice toy, mind you, but for $530 ... not for me.
So ... I am back to the Savage MkII or 93 ... not really sure what the model is. Here is a picture of the gun I want but can't seem to be able to find it and an actual cost.

Attachment:
Savage_Mark_II_BTVS.jpg
Savage_Mark_II_BTVS.jpg [ 56.3 KiB | Viewed 772 times ]

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:36 am 

Stihltech wrote:
Dave, I may have to take you up on that offer. I went to BassPro today and had a look at the Henry Golden Boy lever action. No doubt about it, a very nice looking gun, but not what I was expecting. Not really sure what I was expecting but this gun looked more like a toy then a gun ... very nice toy, mind you, but for $530 ... not for me.
So ... I am back to the Savage MkII or 93 ... not really sure what the model is. Here is a picture of the gun I want but can't seem to be able to find it and an actual cost.

Attachment:
Savage_Mark_II_BTVS.jpg
Cabelas
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/5024/sava ... ccutrigger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:08 am 

allanh wrote:
I have a Henry lever action and absoultley love it. The only issue I had was that sometimes when using .22 short I have to be careful to properly cycle the action or it won't load the cartridge. However for small game hunting you would most likely use .22lr anyway, which I have never had a problem with. Ironic that this rifle can be had for about $200.00 less than the Walther lever action co2 gun.

My 16 year old nephew has the standard Henry lever action in .22lr and loves it! I have shot it twice, firing a 100 rounds each time and think it is a great all-purpose rifle for $250 USD he paid for it three years ago. The action is nice and smooth and wood is pretty nice too! I was comparing it to my Father's and mine Winchester 9422's and when handed one without paying attention I couldn't tell the apart while shooting. The trigger has a better feel on the Winchester, but you'd expect that from a gun costing twice the price nowadays! We bought ours the 9422's 30 years ago! Beautiful walnut and bluing still on them. Dad has a Weaver 4x on his and mine has a 4x Burris on it.

If I were watching my nickels and dimes, I would get the Henry!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:37 am 
Supporting Member 2009

If you're thinking Savage, read up on their models on the website. The letters all mean something.
Mark II is .22lr
93 are .22WMR or 17HMR
That looks like a BTVS
B=Boyds stock
T=Thumb hole stock
V=Varmint barrel (heavy barrel, no sights)
S=Stainless steel.

It takes a while to learn, but makes shopping easy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:24 am 

Thanks for this, Woody
Now it all makes sense ... I may go for the WMR but am leaning towards the LR simply due to ammo costs.
So ... I guess what I'm looking for would be a Savage Mk II BTV.
Thanks

Woody wrote:
If you're thinking Savage, read up on their models on the website. The letters all mean something.
Mark II is .22lr
93 are .22WMR or 17HMR
That looks like a BTVS
B=Boyds stock
T=Thumb hole stock
V=Varmint barrel (heavy barrel, no sights)
S=Stainless steel.

It takes a while to learn, but makes shopping easy.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:33 am 

Have a look at these -

https://ellwoodepps.com/savage-93r17-btvs-92018.html

Has anyone mentioned CZ ? I picked up a 452 Varmint in 22 WMR just after Christmas. I have wanted one for some time now. It is a very accurate rifle.The trigger still needs some work but l can work on that. The wood, bluing and machining are all to notch. Go to the link below and scroll down to the CZ section. Williams has one in 22 LR. Not a bad price either. I almost bought it but opted for the magnum instead.

http://www.williamsarms.net/newfirearms.html

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-varmint-22-lr-5-rd-mag/

I just noticed that Al Flaherty's has them in stock again as well.

http://www.alflahertys.com/collections/firearms/products/cz-455-varmint-22lr-pfa20440

I have a Henry in 22 LR it is a fun gun, but just for plinking not for hunting. It is not that accurate with open sights (or maybe it is just my eyes). I cannot get nice groups with it. It has a good action, nice and smooth. No jams, light with an ok trigger. It will shoot just about any type of ammo with no issues.

Just to give you more to think about.

Jeff.

Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound.
WAGG. Waterloo Area Greyhound Group.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:34 am 

Dont tell my wife wrote:
Has anyone mentioned CZ ? I picked up a 452 Varmint in 22 WMR just after Christmas. I have wanted one for some time now. It is a very accurate rifle.The trigger still needs some work but l can work on that. The wood, bluing and machining are all to notch.

CZ are probably the best "bang for the buck" bolt action rimfire. Top notch fit and finish and can be stunningly accurate. You can easily lighten the trigger for bench work by putting in a lighter spring. You can get a kit for $18 that comes with four different springs as well as shims to take out any creep that might be in the trigger (see http://www.yodaveproducts.com/ ). I did two triggers with one kit. Many CZ shooters use this kit (see http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=330293 )

For the Savage Mk II there are trigger kits available to lighten the accutrigger if needed, but they are more expensive and not as easy to install as the yodave kit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:38 pm 

DougP wrote:
Interesting. I had thought 17hmr was mainly for target shooting. But I found this comparison on another forum...

if you sight an HMR in with 17grain V-max bullets, at 100 yards, at 200 yards it'll only be shooting 8 inches low.... try the same with a 30 grain 22mag (wmr) and you'll be shooting over 18 inches low

I'd also like to see any 22mag shoot .5 inch groups at 100 yards....
The average FPE at 100 yards for a 22mag is 145...... the average for the 17HMR is 137.... thats only a 8FPE difference

at over 100 yards the 17HMR have more FPE (energy) compared to the 22 mag 30 grain

.17 HMR, 17 grain V-Max = ME 245 ft. lbs., 185 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 136 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
.17 HMR, 20 grain XTP = ME 250 ft. lbs., 187 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 137 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
.22 WMR, 30 grain TNT = ME 325 ft. lbs., 200 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 120 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 80 ft. lbs. at 150 yards.
.22 WMR, 40 grain JHP = ME 324 ft. lbs., 230 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 162 ft. lbs. at 100 yards.

The 30 gr is a mighty poor coyote load, as are any of the other .17's listed here. The 40 and 50 gr offerings in WMR far out class the .17 HMR in retained energy. The Federal 50 gr FMJ will easily do 1/2" at 100 yds. It appears someone's biased against the WMR- the 30 gr load is just a novelty load for those who believe the velocity hype, and the 50 FMJ isn't even shown. :wink:

I got nothing against the HMR. I'd consider it if they ever came up with a half decent small edible game bullet for it.

As for the o/p, my vote would be for a used Marlin 39-A in .22 L.R. It would take a lot off the edge of the pricing on the new ones. Google Winchester 52-B repro: if you can find one of those used, very decent bolt gun...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:55 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
DougP wrote:
Interesting. I had thought 17hmr was mainly for target shooting. But I found this comparison on another forum...

if you sight an HMR in with 17grain V-max bullets, at 100 yards, at 200 yards it'll only be shooting 8 inches low.... try the same with a 30 grain 22mag (wmr) and you'll be shooting over 18 inches low

I'd also like to see any 22mag shoot .5 inch groups at 100 yards....
The average FPE at 100 yards for a 22mag is 145...... the average for the 17HMR is 137.... thats only a 8FPE difference

at over 100 yards the 17HMR have more FPE (energy) compared to the 22 mag 30 grain

.17 HMR, 17 grain V-Max = ME 245 ft. lbs., 185 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 136 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
.17 HMR, 20 grain XTP = ME 250 ft. lbs., 187 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 137 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards, 72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
.22 WMR, 30 grain TNT = ME 325 ft. lbs., 200 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 120 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 80 ft. lbs. at 150 yards.
.22 WMR, 40 grain JHP = ME 324 ft. lbs., 230 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 162 ft. lbs. at 100 yards.

The 30 gr is a mighty poor coyote load, as are any of the other .17's listed here. The 40 and 50 gr offerings in WMR far out class the .17 HMR in retained energy. The Federal 50 gr FMJ will easily do 1/2" at 100 yds. It appears someone's biased against the WMR- the 30 gr load is just a novelty load for those who believe the velocity hype, and the 50 FMJ isn't even shown. :wink:

I got nothing against the HMR. I'd consider it if they ever came up with a half decent small edible game bullet for it.

As for the o/p, my vote would be for a used Marlin 39-A in .22 L.R. It would take a lot off the edge of the pricing on the new ones. Google Winchester 52-B repro: if you can find one of those used, very decent bolt gun...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

I also prefer the .22 WMR over the .17 HMR. :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:50 am 

Air Heir wrote:

I also prefer the .22 WMR :)

Cheers!

Do you still have access to the 45 gr. Ruko hollow point? Those are sorely missed here. Fine load for big jack rabbits in winter at their typical distances...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:15 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Air Heir wrote:

I also prefer the .22 WMR :)

Cheers!

Do you still have access to the 45 gr. Ruko hollow point? Those are sorely missed here. Fine load for big jack rabbits in winter at their typical distances...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

I never did run across any 45-grain Armscor .22 Magnum Rimfire ammunition here in Manila, not even when I used to work for Armscor, which is a bit odd. I shot mostly Remington 40-grainers with the blued Smith & Wesson Model 51 J-Frame revolver (3 1/2-inch barrel) that I sold a few months ago (along with all the rest of my powderburners).

As regards rifles, instead of acquiring one chambered for .22 Magnum Rimfire, I bought a .22 Hornet Ruger 77/22 in stainless steel (also already sold).

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:59 pm 

It was a jacketed hollow point and had quite a distinct sulfur odor when fired. This is going back to the mid 80's, and I was fortunate enough to get a brick of 10, 50 round boxes. The .22 mag cases were brass, and they were loaded hot.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:27 am 

I would like to recant my previous statement about the Henry 22lr not being that accurate. I took a 3 x 9 x 40 scope off of another rifle that does not get alot of use and mounted it on the Henry. The results are below.

Each square is 1/4" so the dot is 1" wide. This is 15 shots, a full magazine. I was shooting from 37 paces not sure exactly how far about 35 yards would be my guess. It was very windy out at the farm yesterday so I was trying to stay hidden behind the barn.

So it is just that I can't shoot with open sights anymore. And need the help of a scope. The gun actually shoots pretty well. Does this mean I am getting old ?

Jeff.

Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound.
WAGG. Waterloo Area Greyhound Group.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next