Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:40 am 

Nice work! You will have to remove the impacted leather inside the compression tube. Maybe a hardwood dowel filed on the end to form a scraper will work. It won't scratch the inside of the compression tube, and will eventually wear away the leather (with a lot of elbow grease). It looks pretty dry in there, so maybe you'll get lucky and the old leather will come out easy. Left inside the compression tube, the leather will cause your new seal to fail.
Your Dad's a lucky guy!

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:32 pm 

Thanks Rick! I tried bluing the metals yesterday with Birchwood Casey Super Blue and it really did not turn out the way I had hoped. I degreased the parts before and after sandblasting them down. Then I rinsed them off in warm water and let them dry. I put the barrel, trigger, and trigger guard in the oven at 250f and let them get hot, then applied the bluing with a cotton ball. The bluing left a weird residue type coating on different areas of some of the parts, but came off with a steel wool buffing. I also noticed that the bluing would almost rust in certain places I couldn't reach with the steel wool.

Parts all blasted:

Residue on the trigger:

After buffing:

Does anyone have any idea if this is normal after applying a bluing liquid? Or have I done something wrong in the preparation of the metal, if this type of metal even works properly with bluing?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:37 pm 

So I managed to solve my issues with the BC bluing by switching to a slow rust blue product. The results I've seen so far have been incomparably better. I've also just received all the parts I ordered from the Netherlands. The synthetic seal uses an included adapter that requires an included screw to be installed on the piston. I'm not sure how I'm going to properly fit the new adapter but I'm thinking I'll drill the old rivet cut it off flush with the top of the piston, then tap the hole in the rivet and screw the adapter on and throw a nut on the underside with some locktite to keep it secure. I know the rivet hole diameter is larger than that of the screw so I'm just guessing here. Does anyone know if this sounds safe and possible? I'm still not 100% sure what I'm doing here and I'm trying not to do anything tooooo stupid. Thanks!

New spring on bottom, old on top:

Seal, adapter and screw:

Adapter close up:

Piston:

Rivet:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:16 pm 

Sounds like you're making good progress. Where did you get the bluing product from? I'd like to try that someday - I've worn the bluing off the tube of my 2240.

I don't have any experience fitting one of those seal adapters, but a nut seems like a pretty good solution to me.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:30 pm 

I'm using Laurel Mountain Browning Reagent and Degreaser, I ordered it from Track of the Wolf and it took about 2 weeks to get here. From what I gather, you have to take the part down to bare metal in order to blue it. In short form, you remove all finish, degrease the part, and then apply the liquid. You let it sit (I usually wait about a day, but you don't REALLY need to wait that long) until a red rust surface forms. Then you boil it, which turns the rust blue/black and then card it with degreased steel wool. You can apply however many coats as you like, but it doesn't really start showing very well until about the 3rd coat. It takes a long time, but it's definitely worth it in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:53 pm 

Update!

Bluing is all done except for the barrel which I should have done sometime next week. I don't have any pictures of it as I managed to break my phone. I still have some old pictures of some things I was wondering about though.

Firstly, The spring I received from Metura is much longer than the one originally in the airgun. Will this cause any issues, or will I have to cut it down a bit? Any input is greatly appreciated.

That's really the only thing left to do, along with with attach the new seal.

I had a close call with the spring loaded latch retaining pin, I didn't know it spring loaded! When I knocked out the pin holding it in, the spring shot the latch retainer out real quick and it almost caught me in the nose, luckily it missed and hit the wall. Don't think it would've damaged me too much but it would've sucked anyways for sure.
Where it hit the wall:

Thanks for any input or suggestions!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:00 pm 

Just noticed this...re rust bluing....if the bluing is simply worn and the actual surface is still acceptable, you do not need to remove the old bluing...just degrease and begin. Will be a little blotchy at first but will blend seamlessly with a number of cycles.

The Laurel Mountain product works very well. Another solution that works well is;

2 oz 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4tsp household white vinegar
sea salt sufficient to make a saturated solution

Al

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:09 am 

Quote:
The spring I received from Metura is much longer than the one originally in the airgun. Will this cause any issues, or will I have to cut it down a bit?

I'm not a springer expert by any means, but my understanding is that the spring will settle in once it's been used for a while, and end up with a shorter resting length than when new. In other words, the new spring is likely fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:31 pm 

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice! I've finished the rifle now and I'm pretty happy with it. If anyone wants to learn a bit about rust bluing check out Al's post: http://www.canadianairguns.com/showthread.php?955-First-attempt-at-rust-bluing-with-house-hold-quot-chemicals-quot , without it I'd still be trying to use BC super blue on the whole gun. I had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday and spent all day today finishing the project. I lubed up the rifle according to Charlie da Tuna's springer lubing guide and everything feels nice and smooth now. I didn't install the new spring as the spring compressor I cobbled together isn't exactly up to par and didn't want to compress the new spring the whole way, I'll let my dad decide whether or not he wants the extra power anyways.

Anyhow, here are some pictures of the finished product!

Thanks again to everyone for all the input and suggestions!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:27 am 

Nicely done!. Your father should be proud of both you and his trusty ol' springer. What a great tribute on Father's Day!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:05 am 

Murray put that rather well IMO...X2. 8)

Al

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:59 am 

Whitewolf