Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Air pistol
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:05 am 

Another opinion from someone who has both Alecto and Tempest. My opinion, if you want to just plink and have fun, the Tempest would probably win but if you are looking for accuracy and power, Alecto wins hands down.
I have 2 Alectos and can not see me selling either ... I can not say the same for the Tempest.
If you do consider the Alecto, make sure it's not the Ultra as that puts it over the fps limit.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:16 am 

I live in Ontario on the border of Port Huron Michigan so I do have more choices but still hard to find many of the pistols I've been looking at and have to be careful that I don't bring a restricted one across the border. I also do not have my PAL

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:34 am 

Originally I wanted the Browning 800 mag .22 but found out it was over the limit for Canadians, I then jumped back and forth with the Hatsan mod 25, xsisco xsp 180, webley typhoon and webley tempest. Out of the bunch I have heard the most consistent good reviews about the tempest, all the others except the browning have had very mixed reviews and or huge differences with the Canadian versions fps ratings. Now although my mind could be swayed pretty easily I am down to tempest and alecto. I realized with the alecto I can still plink with one pump but have a serious shooter with 3 pumps so now it's just looking for the best deal and personally if I could save by getting a good used one I would.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:40 am 

Why a springer?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:19 am 

Price, (if possible I wanted under $200) power and simplicity without needing any external air source, .22 caliber because I have an old once working (needs seals) crosman 357c in .22 and a few other pellet and bb guns in .177 co2 and like the .22 better. but most of all I wanted something with one pump that gives max power and when I first saw the browning 800 mag .22 that shot over 500fps I got hooked but after learning about the canadian restrictions that was out so I've been researching ever since. I also had an old break barrel riffle from years ago that I got used to and liked so figured It would be similar only smaller.
As you can read by my other posts I am definitely leaning towards the alecto and tempest

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:58 am 

I'm told that the Browning 800 is made by Hatsan and a very close cousin to the Model 25.
Like I said, My top choice would definitely be the Alecto .22cal, but, I can't seem to beg, borrow or steal one!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:58 am 

I'm told that the Browning 800 is made by Hatsan and a very close cousin to the Model 25.
Like I said, My top choice would definitely be the Alecto .22cal, but, I can't seem to beg, borrow or steal one!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:51 pm 

So if I ordered a webley alecto from the states can I legally cross the border with it because it is rated at higher fps? why not just turn the valve down so it shoots within canadian limits? What about asking the place you buy it from to do it for you so it is within legal limits. I think there are way to many variables when it comes to whats legal or not, even the type of pellets used because some go faster then others! I went to walmart in the states and they told me that there were more and stricter restrictions on air gun than on real guns! It seems that just about every gun I have wanted so far is out of reach either because of laws or canadian air guns mostly get so detuned that I am not interested or they are simply imposible to find! Plus I originally did not want to go over $200 but now I might for an alecto or tempest in .22, still debating.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:56 pm 

57scott wrote:
The Weihrauch HW45 or the Webley Alecto both come in .22 calibre, and both are under 500fps (no PAL needed). The Webley will shoot somewhat less fps with one pump (mine shoots 11.9g RWS Hobbies at around 335fps), but maximizes performance at the recommended max. of 3 pumps. Mine averages around 485fps with the same pellet at 3 pumps. Note that this is a gas ram, unlike the HW 45-which is a springer. The HW has a low power cocking point, and a high-power CP, which means you're cocking the spring less or more. For comparison, my HW pops out Hobbies at 466fps fully cocked. (I didn't record data for these pellets on the low power setting, but Exact RS 13.43g domes made 335fps average on low...)
These are both "overlever" pistols, and though well-built, are somewhat expensive. Of the breakbarrel type pistols I've had, all were .177. Rare beasts in .22, I think.

Isn't the .22 full power all the time? I tought the two cocking points was only for the .177.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:26 am 

The older versions of the .22 Weihrauch HW45 only had the full-power cocking point, but newer .22 HW45's do have two cocking settings---half and full-power.

According to airgun writer Tom Gaylord/BB Pelletier, the low/half-power setting of the HW45 should not be used because doing so, will eventually reduce the pistol's full-power velocity and energy capability---as its piston seal's shape is altered by shooting in low-power.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:30 am 

benjamin wrote:
So if I ordered a webley alecto from the states can I legally cross the border with it because it is rated at higher fps?

I ordered mine from the states, (via ebay), and had it ship to a US address near the border. Some places will ship directly to your Canadian address, this particular ebay vendor would not. I paid $291 US and at the border paid $13 total for duties or taxes, not sure. All he was concerned with was did it shoot over 500fps or not. There was a factory data sheet with that information on it. After he did the conversion from mps to fps, he was satisfied that it was 470 or so fps and he charged me $13 and I was on my way.
Just make sure it is not the Ultra ... the longer barrel will put it over the 500fps.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:01 am 

Good info Stihltech!
Got to get a .22cal. before they're All Gone
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:52 am 

Thanks Stihltech, I get things shipped to a u.s. parcel place also and pay them for each package I pick up but have never with anything to do with guns.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:29 am 

Quote:
Air Heir wrote
According to airgun writer Tom Gaylord/BB Pelletier, the low/half-power setting of the HW45 should not be used because doing so, will eventually reduce the pistol's full-power velocity and energy capability---as its piston seal's shape is altered by shooting in low-power.

This is weird. Could you, please, reveal the original source of this information? I wonder why the piston’s seal is altered at the half-power setting and not altered at the full-power setting? What’s the physics behind it?
I have a 2007 HW45 .22cal and I’ve been shooting at the half-power setting for some time indoor. The high-power setting is a bit too powerful for 25 feet which is the length of my indoor range. At full power the 14 gr projectiles shred the ballistic curtains and hit the steel backstop so heavily that it becomes deformed after a while.
I usually check the velocity from time to time with a chronograph and so far, it shoots consistently at about 430fps at full power and 335 fps at half power with 14gr pellets. Didn’t notice any adverse effects of the half-power setting. Nevertheless, I’d like to be on the safe side if really there is something wrong with shooting at the half-power setting.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:05 am 

Here is BB Pelletier's article on the HW45:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/10/ ... ight-more/

And another review on the HW45 that discusses its piston seal :

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/05/ ... ir-pistol/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next