Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Air pistol
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:09 pm 

Buy a 177 and get a 22 cal barrel made and have both. I have 177, 22 & 25 so I can switch them around but find I use the 22 most of the time.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:18 pm 

That sounds awesome! I think ultimately I would like a powerful multi shooter .177 (co2) for fun and plinking and a powerful single shot .22 for real target accuracy and practice but also pest control. If I had both I would be a happy camper. As for canadians sake I would like guns that were tuned to the
top of the limits as far as fts an ft lbs but for some reason they all seem very underpowered as to what is allowed. Another thing towards the modifiers on this forum, I also agree that any air gun should be modifiable as long ad it stays within laws/limits
If canadians can have airguns that shoot 500fps but the airgun they buy only shoots 400fps then they should be able to turn a screw to get it to 500. If they decide to break the law and go over the legal limit then they should take responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:17 pm 

Hi Benjamin, and welcome on the forum!

I don't know what's your budget, but a good ''value for the money'' pistol is the xisico xsp180. I bought one about a year and a half ago, and this is the kind of ''find'' I would qualify as a diamond in the rough. I live in Quebec and I paid about 130$ cdn.There's a 9 1/4'' riffled barrel, a good fiber optic sight (if you don't destroy it as I did ! :cry: ), and a real good ergonomic grip; however the grip comes only in a right-handed configuration. I will add that the trigger on that pistol is near perfection; I never adjusted it, it was perfect right out of the box, but you can actually adjust it. I have no way of measuring it, but i'd say you don't need more than 2 1/2 lb of pull on the trigger. It's kind of a match pistol, but with a tactical look with its picatinny rail underneath the barrel.

I found the pistol to be very accurate and easy to use. it' a springer so you get a fast firing cycle, and the cocking effort is not hard, just firm. The only point I would mention is the safety; it's a bit hard and misplaced but you get easily used to it, and it's solid and fully functionnal. I shot that pistol at distances from 5 to 30 yards and, I tell you, the further you go from the target, the more fun you have :lol: . The .22 cal. xsp180 is rated at 450 fps, so no PAL required.

I saw a lot of nice suggestions in the posts ( I'm still wiping my droolings),this was mine from my experience with that particular model I own, I didn't wanted to do a review on that gun but I like it so much I couldn't help. Wish you rain-free days and happy shooting!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:37 am 

Sounds like a good prospect Airmec
I think I'll give it serious consideration, looked at it before and
dismissed it, also I shoot Left Handed, but for $140 who knows?
Like a strong .22cal., alternative to Alecto?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:10 am 

Thanks airmec, yes that xsp180 is one of the pistols on my list also.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:38 am 

You may have already ordered your pistol but in case you haven't, Replica Airguns has the Alecto (.177), in stock for $329.99 with free shipping this weekend. Like Plasticman says, just get a .22 barrel and have the best of both worlds.
https://www.replicaairguns.ca/webley-an ... -air-rifle

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:52 pm 

Try the p17 on for size while you're making up your mind. It shoots hard, is considered very accurate (although not competitively so), and at their current price, you could buy up to a dozen of them for the price of some of your higher-end pistols.

And just for clarification, +500 handguns are not illegal in Canada; they are restricted weapons and require an RPAL to possess (not just a PAL). In addition, you are required to handle, store, transport and shoot such an air gun under the same restrictions as set for powder burner handguns.

While you will gain the advantage of the larger projectile by swapping out for a .22 bbl, the likelihood is that you will improve the energy level minimally; putting a .22 bbl on a pistol outputting for .177 at 450 fps will not perform at that velocity with .22 pellets.

Was it from this thread or another that I gathered you wanted to use this pistol for pesting out to 10 yards)? Not even a stock .22 pellet handgun is really, I mean really up to that unless you're one helluva good shooter. Build yourself a 2240 carbine with an 18-inch bbl to shoot pests from the porch.

$0.00

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:34 pm 

2240 with a carbine stock is still a pistol according to law in Canada

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:35 pm 

Quote:
Plasticman wrote

As long as it doesn’t exceed 500fps, it doesn’t matter it’s a pistol or carbine or whatever. As I understand it, Edmonton<500 didn't mean it would exceed 500fps with an 18” barrel.
See also topic67184.html .

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:15 pm 

rav wrote:
Quote:
Plasticman wrote

As long as it doesn’t exceed 500fps, it doesn’t matter it’s a pistol or carbine or whatever. As I understand it, Edmonton<500 didn't mean it would exceed 500fps with an 18” barrel.
See also topic67184.html .

That was my assumption -- that it would be properly tuned to remain within the legal limits.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:37 pm 

Air Heir wrote:
The older versions of the .22 Weihrauch HW45 only had the full-power cocking point, but newer .22 HW45's do have two cocking settings---half and full-power.

According to airgun writer Tom Gaylord/BB Pelletier, the low/half-power setting of the HW45 should not be used because doing so, will eventually reduce the pistol's full-power velocity and energy capability---as its piston seal's shape is altered by shooting in low-power.

I have found that to be a bit of a waste of time as the point of impact versus point of aim is different for the two settings. Can anyone else with a HW45 confirm that? Or maybe it's just coincidental and I'm a rubbish shot.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:34 pm 

Quote:
DDtank wrote
I have found that to be a bit of a waste of time as the point of impact versus point of aim is different for the two settings. Can anyone else with a HW45 confirm that? Or maybe it's just coincidental and I'm a rubbish shot.

Yes, the point of impact is completely different for the two settings.
If one shoots indoor up to, say, 25 feet, the HW45 can be set up at the lower power setting (mine shoots around 335fps with 14gr) and can be shot like that for a long time. The high power setting is not needed indoor, at least for me.
However, as Air Heir wrote, according to Tom Gaylord, shooting for a longer time at the lower power setting could damage the piston seal. I've read those articles by Tom Gaylord and still don't have a clear understanding what is really wrong with the lower power setting. I didn't find any convincing evidence in his articles.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:30 pm 

DDtank wrote:
Air Heir wrote:
The older versions of the .22 Weihrauch HW45 only had the full-power cocking point, but newer .22 HW45's do have two cocking settings---half and full-power.

According to airgun writer Tom Gaylord/BB Pelletier, the low/half-power setting of the HW45 should not be used because doing so, will eventually reduce the pistol's full-power velocity and energy capability---as its piston seal's shape is altered by shooting in low-power.

I can definitely confirm two different impact points.(mine is .177)
Believe it or not the impact point for me on high power is actually lower at 10m(by a significant amount) than at the low power setting.
Not because it drops more over 10m on high, but I think due to the two different recoil effects.
Don't ask me why.
I have always shot on high power.(except for a few test shots)
Mine is an old American version Beeman P1(HW45) with original spring and seals, with well over 20,000 shots through it.
I have a spare seal kit and mainspring that I ordered from Beeman, soon after I purchased the pistol (29 years ago)
Don't think I will be installing them any time soon.
It still chronys,I'll just say, somewhat "fast". :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:47 am 

It's true, the full-power setting on the HW45 should have a lower point of impact as compared to shots on low-power, because the lower velocity shots tend to shoot higher as a result of recoil/muzzle flip having more time to act on the slower moving pellet.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:29 am 

Thanks all, that's what I am seeing too - lower poi on full power. Like flyr, apart from a few test shots I have only used the full setting and now find it difficult to find the halfway point anyway with my cocking technique.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next