Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Back in my day...
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:15 am 

Attachment:
uploadfromtaptalk1431425722439.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1431425722439.jpg [ 17.54 KiB | Viewed 2216 times ]

Post subject: Re: Back in my day...
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:21 am 

ha!

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:57 am 

Thanks for the morning chuckle.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:10 pm 

Back in my day the old folks said I have nowhere to go but up. How did I manage to hit rock bottom ?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:50 pm 

Back in my day we had to remember how many "rings, long or short" were in a phone number and not to forget to hold in the button on the side of the phone while cranking the handle to get the operator.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:37 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

It was not that long ago we had to actually dial a number all the way around to dial a number . :rolleyes:

Attachments:
IMG_2077.JPG
IMG_2077.JPG [ 191.44 KiB | Viewed 2132 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:54 pm 

I hung on to mine as long as I could. Sometime in the mid-90's MTS completely dropped pulse dialing. I miss the reliability of that old Northern Telecom rotary dial phone. It's been a rapid succession of various and sundry pushbutton, and cordless phones for our landline. Can't seem to get more than 2 years out of a home phone these days.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:11 pm 

Home phone?!? ... what's that?
Oh yeah ... I used to have one of them and a cel phone ... then I clued in and asked myself why I was paying 2 phone bills.
How times have changed ... and it didn't take very long either!
Yes, our old number was 81-11 ... one long and two short rings.
That's taking me back a few years!

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:30 pm 

Anyone remember phone exchange codes? Like WHite-hall 4407, or GRosvenor 51-89?

Ours was SPruce 53 053, and calling from a phone booth was always an operator assist...

Lily Tomlin, where are ya?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:00 pm 

Dont remember exchange codes...party lines..yep. Plugged a rotary phone in a couple months back...still rings and makes calls...in Alberta at least....gift for the grand daughter who was grounded from her cell phone.
Cant imagine why she didnt find it as funny as we did. :lol:

Al

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:31 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Anyone remember phone exchange codes? Like WHite-hall 4407, or GRosvenor 51-89?

Ours was SPruce 53 053, and calling from a phone booth was always an operator assist...

Lily Tomlin, where are ya?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

My Grandma and Grandpa Starr had an exchange code, plus were on a party line. They lived quite far from civilization in farm country in south central Montana. I think the phone would make three short rings then a long one. I think there were four other families on the party line.

I think Mom and Dad got a pushbutton phone after I entered the US Army in fall 1980.

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:45 pm 

Our first phone that I remember had a 1-piece handset (not separate mouthpiece and earpiece), but you had to crank it (which turned a generator to create the voltage) to reach the operator (one very long ring), there was no rotary dial.... You told the operator who you wanted to call (or their number), she plugged in the cables to connect you to the house you wanted to talk to, and she rang the phone for you.... Our phone number was a private line because we ran a business, and was 155 on the Sidney exchange.... Most of my friends were on party lines, and you had to know what your ring was, like long, short, short, etc.... and of course you could eavesdrop on anyone else on your line by just picking up the phone while they were talking.... You could call someone else on your party line by ringing their sequence, you didn't have to go through the operator....

We got a similar phone at an antique store before moving to Coalmont and I took it apart.... I made a doorbell for our house/office with the crank in a box outside and the bell inside.... and the box I turned into a medicine cabinet in one of our Motel rooms.... complete with the handset still hanging on the side.... :mrgreen:

Bob

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:13 pm 

Our first phone hung on the wall. You removed the hand piece, place it to your ear, cranked the handle to ring the bell and waited for the operator to come on, then told her (into the mouth piece) WHO you wanted to talk to. I only vaguely remember Mom using it to call her sisters. Both of my Aunt's had them also, of course.

We got a new wall mounted dial phone party line, when we moved into the new house - I was 6. I remember the wall hanging phone in the kitchen of our old apartment - it was ours, so we kept it when moving.

When I was 12, Dad and I converted the old crank phone into an electric generator with wires and steel electrodes to push into the ground to bring up dew worms in the middle of the day. We'd wet the ground down for 5 minutes or so, then shove the electrodes into the damn earth, crank the handle and up & onto the surface they'd come. We'd collect a dozen or so, then off fishing at the mill pond.

The left over worms would die that night if left over from fishing, so we'd just throw them into the pond before heading home.

HA! - We got one of the School Teacher's (both his parents were high-school teachers) kids (who emphatically told us he was a LOT smarter than us because OUR parents weren't teachers) to hold the electrodes while I cranked the handle - WHAT a BLAST - almost pee'd my pants laughing so hard. He ran home crying and his parents ratted us out. Dad merely laughed at them - "boys will be boys", he said. Later, he told us that us that "book smart", wasn't quite the same as having some "common sense".

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:50 pm 

I'll go you one better on the use for a generator from a phone.... We used to have a "Carnival" at our high school (I think it was to raise money for the Grad party), with a ring toss, throwing darts at balloons, coconut throw, etc., and one of the games was a metal washtub of tub of water, dyed blue so you couldn't see the bottom, and a bunch of quarters in it.... One side of the generator was hooked up to the tub, and the other wire ran to a metal rod that you had to hold in one hand.... For the price of throwing another quarter into the tub, you got the priviledge of trying to scoop out as many quarters as you could with your other hand, while the Grade 12 student running the booth cranked merrily away on the generator.... :shock:

I'm pretty sure they put out about 80 volts AC, and I never saw anyone ever manage to get even one quarter out of the water, although I did hear about one guy who did it.... Apparently, he covered his hand (where he held the rod) in Vaseline as an insulator.... Can you imagine what would happen today if little Johnny was ever convinced to try this stunt?.... AT A SCHOOL FUNDRAISER?.... :mrgreen:

Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:58 am 

Great story, Bob. Imagine the looks on their faces? LOLOLOL