Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:30 am 

What a difference a couple of days make. Tried to replicate my amazing feat just to realize today just wasn't my day. After some 15 shots with the P17 I finally managed to get one in the hole. 4 more shots and nothing. Prior to this fired over 100 shots with both 357s in order to sight them and try to get them to shoot consistently. When I was finally happy with the groupings from the long barrel 357 I simply couldn't get it to shoot a pellet anywhere near the hole in the white container.

Today's session now has me contemplating:
Was this just a fad? A one hit wonder? Can I no longer consider myself a candidate for the olympics?
Guess will try it again in a couple of days and see if whichever pro-shooter soul had possessed me a couple of days ago may return and guide my hand once more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:31 am 

We've probably all experienced something similar. Some of it is just down to statistics, but shooting is such a weird mind-game that I suspect there is something 'real' going on too. There are things that will definitely trash your accuracy, particularly with pistol shooting. Physical stuff like using a weed whacker for an hour for example, and mental stuff like having something distracting on your mind (often something I'm building in my case) or over thinking a particular part of the shot. I've often thought that changing between pistols with very different triggers can throw you off, which might have happened to you.The 357 has a very heavy trigger compared to the p17. I also have a time of day thing going on - I don't shoot well in the mornings. I seem to do best in the late afternoon, as long as I didn't spend the day cutting weeds! :)

One things for sure though - those times when you're in the zone and shooting at your best are pure magic.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:33 am 

So, where did you find a P17 with fiber optic sights ? ...... Mine has plain ole' normal ones and it's less than a year old...........Nice shooting, I've been making some 'one hole' 6 pellet groups at 8 yds with my new 747, but not consistently.... nothing like your feat, thanks for sharing........

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:16 am 

thumper wrote:
So, where did you find a P17 with fiber optic sights ? ...... Mine has plain ole' normal ones and it's less than a year old

It came from the US when I placed an order for the P17 and a Daisy 953, my very first purchases following the Crosman M4-177 a couple of weeks earlier, the gun that started the fever. It's funny how while on the phone with them I had insisted that they sent me the P17 WITH the fibre optics sight and that if they sent me the one with a blade that I'd be returning it. Heh, little did I know how I'd come to detest fibre optic sights not soon after.

But why do you ask? Would you prefer the P17 with fibre optics? If I recall Pyramyd sold the bladed one with a cheap red dot as a kit for an extra $5 - something I wish had gotten looking back now, but at the time I had never shot anything with fibre optics and assumed it was a good thing. I simply don't enjoy fibre optics, especially when equipped in the front and rear (some of my guns only has fibre optics in the front with an iron blade in the rear which I can almost live with). I dislike the concept of having a little bright ball sitting atop my target, while with an old style post I can aim a lot easier. And this is the reason why I'm more surprised by the accomplishment here with the P17 than anyone else.

My next pistol will have a peep sight. Although as I understand I'll have to pay through the roof for one with a diopter sight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:48 am 

.....I was just curious as I've only noticed them on the P3 (HW40?).....I believe the Crosman 1377 has a duel rear sight where one side is a peep sight....I've only ever used basic blade or 'peep' sights, but never used a peep sight on a pistol....I think it would be hard to view through at arms length whereas a rifle is more stable......Seems all blade sights are different, right now I'm challenging myself (another post) using my P17 vs the 747....I prefer the 747 sights even though they both have a similar set-up......And I always colour my front sights with bright red nail polish just for visibility but not the 747 yet and it's out performing the P17.........I'd try a bit of colour on a front sight before putting out for a good 'peep' sight, which would set you back more than a 1377 that (I think) comes with both to try............just my humble opinion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:41 pm 
Is that Clay?

I tried this earlier. 20ft unsupported. The 1377 sights isn't all that best. Did manage to hit it once.