Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Custom 2240s
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:52 pm 

My .177 conversion, probably in its final form. It would be cool to do a steel breech and experiment with other sights, but I'm hitting what I want to hit as-is, and I don't think further mods would be cost-effective.

Zero bling, except for the fancy bolt. Nice, light trigger with minimal creep, quiet and consistent, 480 fps with light hollow points.

Mods:
- Mellon Air re-crowned 10.5" .177 barrel
- Mellon Air stainless long-probe bolt and handle
- Crosman plastic front sight w/fiber optic
- lightened and polished hammer
- shorter hammer spring
- polished contact points on sear and trigger
- trigger shimmed
- lightened trigger spring

Attachments:
2240 .177 finished - 1.jpg
2240 .177 finished - 1.jpg [ 302.19 KiB | Viewed 1747 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:58 pm 

Before I commit to a longer barrel for my 2240 does any one know what kind of velocity change I can expect? Say from a 14", 18" and or the 24" .22 barrel. I have a heavier hammer spring already installed so it pushes the muzzle velocity to about 490 fps. Since I don't have my PAL yet I don't want to cross the 500 fps cap between controlled and uncontrolled firearms.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:58 pm 

If you are already shooting so close to 500fps, getting ANY longer barrel with DEFINITELY put you over the speed limit. You would need to back off on the hammer spring at least, perhaps grind some mass away from the hammer as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:38 pm 

Thanks! I have a lighter hammer spring that I can use that drops the velocity significantly. But for plinking and cosmetic purposes I'm still looking to get a longer barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:09 pm 

By the way, noting that you have only 2 posts so far here and that they're both in this thread, I'll let you know that it has become customary to post a brief (or not so brief, your preference) introduction about yourself here:
introduce-yourself-f13.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:06 am 

colinsnowwright wrote:
Before I commit to a longer barrel for my 2240 does any one know what kind of velocity change I can expect? Say from a 14", 18" and or the 24" .22 barrel. I have a heavier hammer spring already installed so it pushes the muzzle velocity to about 490 fps. Since I don't have my PAL yet I don't want to cross the 500 fps cap between controlled and uncontrolled firearms.

How do you know the velocity is now about 490 fps? Guesswork or do you have a chrony? You do not want to play with a pistol without a way to measure your results. Exceeding 500 fps with a pistol requires a R-PAL licence and you can only shoot the gun at a range. You also need paperwork just to transport the gun to the range. To answer your specific question, a 14" barrel will increase the fps over the stock 7" by approx. 80 fps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:33 pm 

lleader wrote:
colinsnowwright wrote:

How do you know the velocity is now about 490 fps? Guesswork or do you have a chrony? You do not want to play with a pistol without a way to measure your results. Exceeding 500 fps with a pistol requires a R-PAL licence and you can only shoot the gun at a range. You also need paperwork just to transport the gun to the range. To answer your specific question, a 14" barrel will increase the fps over the stock 7" by approx. 80 fps.

Thank you for the info! I'm getting my R-PAL, sorry I didn't specify. My 2240 normally did 430fps and the spring gives a max 60fps increase. I did chrony, but it's all stock parts other than the spring, so it varies alittle (never going above the 490 mark). If I'm looking at a 80 fps increase from a 14" I may as well get a power adjuster at the same time. Wanted one anyway but it's a nice incentive to also NEED one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:33 pm 

My current 2240

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:04 pm 

colinsnowwright wrote:

My current 2240

Hmmmmm... don't know why, but this question came to mind when looking at these pix: If your 2240 were a high school boy in the school gym shower room, would he be a victim of mockery?

:mrgreen: Sorry. And I AM NOT a dirty old man; I just have a broadly based sense of humour.

Sorry again; your 2240 is unique. Did you know there are medical extension techniques in common practice today? :ANAL:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:21 pm 

If you scroll up the page just a fww posts you can see where he says "for plinking and cosmetic purposes I'm still looking to get a longer barrel." Strictly cosmetic. For plinking. :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:48 pm 

tazz wrote:
Here is my on a budget 2240 shorty.
It is a real blast to shoot. Everyone should have one. :)

Nice! Is your safety brass? If so where did you get it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:04 pm 

Colinsnowright,

Yes I made that brass left handed safety myself. Just spun it on my drill and shaped it with a file.
Someone on this site told me that's how they make them.
I bought the brass at Canada tire.
Now I want that gun again. I took it apart and built another one for the winter.
Maybe I'll build that shorty for this summer. It's a very loud gun and lots of fun!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:35 pm 

That's a great idea! I'm moving soon so once I set up my work shop I may try my hand at it. Thanks for the tip and enjoy the modifying!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:09 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
colinsnowwright wrote:

My current 2240

Hmmmmm... don't know why, but this question came to mind when looking at these pix: If your 2240 were a high school boy in the school gym shower room, would he be a victim of mockery?

:mrgreen: Sorry. And I AM NOT a dirty old man; I just have a broadly based sense of humour.

Sorry again; your 2240 is unique. Did you know there are medical extension techniques in common practice today? :ANAL:

Come on, now colinsnowwright. You're new; we're teasing. We deserve a zany rebuttal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:19 am 

The latest version of my nicely modded 2240 with rdstarr custom stock extension and Remington 870 (12GA) wood hand grips with an added fore grip and red laser.

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next