Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:53 pm 

Daryl wrote:
4.51mm shoot best in my HW97. Every gun is unto it's own, though, and must be tested with all to see which is best.

I don't have different sizes of the same pellet to test, but I have tried 4.49, 4.50, 4.51 and even 4.52 (which the RWS Hobby seems to be). I can get all of those sizes into my 30S but what seems to fit the best is either the 4.49 or 4.50.

My best results so far are with H&N Finale Match Rifle at 4.49 mm. Those give me 647 fps and the best accuracy at 10 meters bench rested. Followed by H&N Sport at 4.50 mm and 634 fps.

Do you think I should buy a tin of H&N Finale Match Rifle with 4.50 mm head size to test? (I've got to buy these things mail order and have them shipped clear across the country and it gets pretty expensive.) Do you think there'd be any (noticeable) difference?

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:37 pm 

The fit or feel of the pellet going into the chamber isn't as important as to what the rifle prefers to actually shoot.
I guess I am trying to say, how the gun shoots the different pellets may bear no relationship to how it feels going in, (or maybe it does) if you know what I mean. :roll:
Last Sunday, shooting indoors at the club, I use a felt pen's butt to seat the pellets in my HW98 P.A.L. .22. It hated the 'seated' pellets shooting a string 5-6" tall X 1/2 wide. Then I shot the same RWS RN pellets just pushing them into the chamber with my index finger, they dropped down into nice tight dime sized groups of 10 shots - 20 yards- almost round single hole.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Mtl_Biker wrote:
CZ-Sniper wrote:
5 Shots. 1 hole. 10 yards standing, with the supporting hand leaning against the wall. I shot less than 50 pellets from this brand new HW30S, so if it's already printing 1-hole groups, then I look forward to see what it could do at greater distances once it's fully broken - in.
After the 1-holer with the Exact Express', the 2nd - best pellet for my HW was the Exact RS (4 shots in 1 hole, and 1 slight flyer), The Beeman FTS came 3rd, folowed by the H&N Sport, and I was surprised to see the JSB Match grouping relatively 'poorly' at 10 years with a
0.45" c-t-c group.
Looks like I'm not going to be needing a scope any time soon.
I like the furniture on it too :mrgreen:

I'm glad to have found this thread as I'm waiting for my new HW30S to be delivered (any day now!).

Your findings about pellets are interesting... Can you tell me if those Exact Express pellets are the 4.52mm? Those are the only size I see listed on the D&L site. They have other sizes for different model JSB pellets... 4.49, 4.50, 4.51 and 4.52mm. How do you find out which ones work the best in your gun? I haven't found sample packs of different sizes, only of different pellets entirely. Is the only option to get a tin of each one and try them? Seems like a waste to me.

1-hole groups standing? Pretty impressive!

I hope you found the pellet your HW30, by now you probably had the chance to shoot several different brands of pellets. I found that mine prefers the tighter - fitting 4.52 mm pellets. I think the Express pellets are 4.52mm but don't quote me on that.
It is a waste to buy a whole box, but at least you only have to do it once and if you have no other use for it, I'm sure someone would gladly grab the tins from you in the 'For Sale' section.
CZ

Air Arms HFT 500
FX Streamline laminate .22
Benjamin Discovery .22 (tuned)
Weihrauch HW30S .177
Weihrauch HW30 MK1 .177
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Crosman 22xx carbine (tuned)
Princess Auto Super Springer Deluxe ($34.99)