Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:21 am 

Today, I took apart a Ninja regulator and rebuilt it for inline use.... It looks like these other ones I have done previoulsly....

The modifications I made are as follows.... Do this only if you are competent working around HPA, and at your own risk.

1. Completely disassemble the regulator, removing both burst discs, the male Foster and the gauge from the reg. body.
2. Cut off the threaded stem that screws into the tank just below the safety vent hole.
3. Drill the bottom of the body to 11/32" until you just touch the three cross holes that pass air to the fill, gauge, and HP burst disc, and tap 1/8"-27 NPT.
4. Deburr and use compressed air to blow all debris and chips out of the regulator body, and install a plug, using Teflon tape to seal it.
5. Reinstall the male Foster (with NO check valve) and gauge, and install burst discs of the appropriate rating for the inlet and outlet pressures.
6. Remove the pin valve from the bonnet, and drill through 11/32" and tap 18"-27 NPT. Remove all debris and chips with compressed air.
7. Install a female Foster in the bonnet. I used a close hex nipple because I didn't have a female Foster with male threads. Both Fosters should be rated for 4500 psi.
8. Install new O-rings on the regulator piston. I would recommend using a Ninja rebuild kit from Mac1 Airguns, which comes with 90D Mil-Spec Urethane O-rings.
9. Install a Belleville washer stack appropriate to the pressure range you need, with appropriate shims, on the piston.
10. Install the piston in the reg. body and screw on the bonnet.
11. On the output side, attach an accurate gauge equipped with a bleed valve to the female Foster.
12. Fill slowly through the male Foster using a tank or pump, to 1000 psi, and check for leaks. Repair if necessary.
13. Slowly increase the pressure at the inlet, while watching the gauge. If you increase the pressure too close to the rating of the outlet burst disk it will fail.
14. If the burst disc fails, change your shorts, then change the disc, reduce the shimming in the regulator, and repeat.
15. If the indicated output pressure is too low, shut off the tank, bleed the system, and increase the thickness of the shims. If too high, remove shims.
16. When you have the regulator adjusted to the setpoint you want, "burp" the bleed valve a few times to settle the needle, and the reg. and double check the pressure.
17. Once you have the regulator adjusted the way you want, close the tank valve, and bleed the system. Record your Belleville stack and shims for future reference.
18. You can now tether your gun to the output side of the regulator with a HP hose, and when you turn on your tank, your gun will fill to the setpoint pressure.
19. If your gun has a pressure gauge, fill slowly and double check that its gauge is close to what you read on your quality gauge. They may not agree exactly.
20. Enjoy shooting your gun tethered to your tank. Ideally, the burst disc on the output side of the regulator should be close to, or only slightly above, the MSWP of your PCP, in case the regulator fails.

Although you have to change shims to alter the regulator setpoint, this makes a great inline regulator at far lower cost than the $300 plus adjustable variety.... The regulator for my Monocoque is set at 3800 psi.... This required a very unusual Belleville stack to achieve that high output pressure, consisting of five pairs of Bellevilles, with each pair consisting of a 0.047" nested inside a 0.032".... and then two thick Ninja 0.020" (red) shims, arranged like this.... The flat shims are inside the regulator body, with the opposite end of the stack against the large end of the piston....

| | ) ) ( ( ) ) ( ( ) )

There are two BIG warnings about using this setup.... There is very little total travel, only 0.060" from loose to fully collapsed.... The pairs of Bellevilles take a huge amount of force to drive them flat, about 860 lbs., and that only takes 0.012" of movement per pair.... This means that EVERY 0.001" of shims changes the output pressure by about 90 psi.... Just a few thou of shims can make the regulator go from 3000 psi to not regulating at all, and passing the full tank pressure through to the output.... Most Belleville stacks are not this harsh to adjust, but when you need to go to high pressures, they get very fussy.... My regulator has a steel bonnet, I don't know if the aluminum bonnets found on some regulators are strong enough.... but Ninja sell regulators with the output set as high as 3000 psi, and having a 5K burst disc on the output side.... If they failed, they would pass the 4500 psi tank pressure through to the output side, and I trust Ninja to know what they are doing.... so I personally have no problem with such a high setpoint.... but I am NOT recommending that you do the same....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:19 pm 

I should have mentioned in the above post that I used a Ninja 4500 psi "high-pressure" regulator, which had an output pressure of 3000 psi and had a 5K burst disc fitted on the output side.... I took this to mean that the entire regulator was safe in the event it failed, and passed the full 4500 psi tank pressure through to the output side.... as I feel comfortable that Ninja have done their homework.... This may or may not apply to other brands, or "clones".... As in any HPA work, you are completely at your own risk and responsibility when modifying any part to do a job not originally intended by the manufacturer.... I am NOT an Engineer, and not recommending you "do what I did".... :roll:

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:16 am 

Amazing project! Will be great to see what kind of accuracy you are able to get at those long ranges!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:34 pm 

Holly smokes! This air gunning is serious business! Good stuff! And to think I was proud of myself making a Potato Cannon. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:53 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Holly smokes! This air gunning is serious business! Good stuff! And to think I was proud of myself making a Potato Cannon. :lol:

You got that right. Serious like a heart attack. Lol

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:39 pm 

Well, a year after this project came to a grinding halt, I finally got a day to take her out and let her stretch her legs a bit.... I built a new shooting bench, and the Monocoque was the first gun to try it out at 100 yards.... Here is a pic of the setup....

and here is a photo of the range, currently set up for 100 yards....

The field I am set up in has the ability for me to move the bench back to 300 yards, or pretty much anything in between.... The rancher I shoot Varmints for allows me to leave the bench and target stand in his field.... I have wind flags on stakes, currently at 25, 50, and 75 yards.... and recently purchased an anemometer that I keep on the bench with me....

The Monocoque was tethered to my Great White by a 3800 psi regulator, and I shot enough to use 1000 psi from the tank today.... I had 12 different bullets to try, or rather 4 different bullets, and three diameters of each, 0.256", 0.257", and 0.258".... The bullets were the HP and FN versions of my two heaviest Bob's Boattails from NOE.... The bullets tested were a 98 gr. HP, a 100 gr. FN, a 109 gr. HP, and an 113 gr. FN.... All bullets were cast in 2% tin....

The Millet scope is mounted on a Picatinny rail that I milled to angle the scope downwards, to hopefully center the POI at 100 yards with the scope centered, and it worked perfectly.... I was within 4" at 100 yards, and only need to tweak the turrets a bit to roughly center me with the 109 gr. bullets.... The 113 gr. were a bit low, and the 98 and 100 gr. were a few inches high, because there is an 80 fps difference between the lightest bullet, at 960 fps, and the heaviest, at 880 fps.... The first targets were 3 shots groups, intended just to prove that the POI was intended, and one of those was the best group of the day....

I saw a pretty clear trend, with the heavier bullets begin more accurate, and the smallest diameter the least accurate.... I'm not thrilled with the average 5-shot groups I shot today, but that 3-shot above, at 1.12", show that the gun has promise.... One thing is clear, the holes in the target are perfectly round, showing no sign of yaw, so the 7" twist is sufficient even for the longest bullets....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:01 pm 

Way to go Bob!
Nice on the gun, and nice on the bench.

Wife was telling me to hit gravel pit... yes ma'am! :mrgreen:

-D.S.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7