Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:48 am 

Hey guys,

This is my 3rd rifle. The last 2 being a Recruit and Trail NP. You're probably wondering why I'm wasting my time with these crappy entry level rifles and you're right. There are indeed better rifles out there.

In fact there was a CZ S200 for about $150-200 more than the Discovery. That rifle was very well spec'd! But I still went with the entry level Disco because it had a pump. I live pretty far from the city and I didn't want to be reliant on some store for refills.

I could've gotten a pump for the CZ but then my cost would've jumped 50% (CZ + Pump) or 100% more than the Disco package.

Another thing that convinced me to go Benjamin is the HUGE knowledge base for improvements. I'm still a beginner and I like that I can grow along with this rifle.

Out of the box, this rifle came out pretty rough. Literally rough. As in the stock was rough. I had to refinish with 800 grit sandpaper. Now it's nice and satin smooth. The trigger is also typically entry level Benjamin. Heavy and vague.

And it's also LOUD. 110-115 decibels is about right. I had to use ear plugs. And that's outdoors.

I also modded the trigger a bit by changing the "1st stage" spring to a regular ballpen spring and refinished the other parts and placed a small washer on the trigger. I also put 2 screws to set the trigger travel:

The seer spring is still a tad heavy but now the travel is short and crisp.

Also added a and Konuspro 6-24x44 scope:

Here's a 3 shot test at 20 meters after initial centering (rifle placed on throw pillow on desk):

Here it is after further adjustment:

I'm obviously no pro but this rifle has potential. All it needs is a slightly lighter seer spring and this will be excellent!

Was able to hit a 3 inch tin at 50+ meters consistently too.

Overall, I'm very happy with this one. Now I have to get to the range to try it at 100 meters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:57 am 

Nice review Rob :drinkers: The trigger could be improved furthermore by polishing the sear I had all of mine polished by a plater guy. Wow man that scope from Romy looks good on your Disco :drinkers:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:08 am 

crossliner wrote:
Nice review Rob :drinkers: The trigger could be improved furthermore by polishing the sear I had all of mine polished by a plater guy. Wow man that scope from Romy looks good on your Disco :drinkers:

10000000 Thanks for the adapter and mounts!

This scope is awesome! Thank god I didn't get the BSA...

I only used 800 grit sandpaper for polish and it seems ok. I may experiement with thin washers for the other metal parts. Main thing about the trigger is the sear spring.

I need just 1 gauge lighter spring. Romy mentioned Inday from Quirino who can help with springs so I might check it out.
For now its ok. Maybe a short 4 pound trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:21 am 

I think that's the same Inday who made springs for me years ago for my Crosmans. I still have plenty of springs left and 1 or 2 might fit your gun's sear. Btw beside her shop is a gun shop who did the rebluing on my Crosmans.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:32 am 

crossliner wrote:
I think that's the same Inday who made springs for me years ago for my Crosmans. I still have plenty of springs left and 1 or 2 might fit your gun's sear. Btw beside her shop is a gun shop who did the rebluing on my Crosmans.

You have this type of spring?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 am 

Sorry Rob my bad mine are coil springs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:58 pm 

You should get the steel trigger for it too.
Mine was a kit that came with two set screws and the gold(colour)plated trigger. Got it from some friend in the states for very cheap.

This is the deluxe version for Canadians.
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php/crosman-2260discovery-adjustable-trigger-kit-p-651

I'll see if I can find the kit I got from the US. The one above that Eric sells is great because it is very complete.

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:25 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
You should get the steel trigger for it too.
Mine was a kit that came with two set screws and the gold(colour)plated trigger. Got it from some friend in the states for very cheap.

This is the deluxe version for Canadians.
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/product_info.php/crosman-2260discovery-adjustable-trigger-kit-p-651

I'll see if I can find the kit I got from the US. The one above that Eric sells is great because it is very complete.

Thanks for the tip!

Weird how that needs drilling. Mine already had holes in them. All I had to do was to find screws that would fit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:10 pm 

Mine were pre-drilled too. Must apply to the 2260 and older Discovery's.

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:44 pm 

You're probably right. It really shows where they chose to save up on cost with this gun.

Since they already put holes in them how hard would it be to put the screws in?

No biggie I guess since I like to wrench anyway but for beginners (who this gun is intended for), the trigger is a real sore spot.

Anyway, I was also looking at this trigger...

http://alliancehobby.com/2260brasstrigg.htm

I wonder which one's better?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:53 pm 

crossliner wrote:
Sorry Rob my bad mine are coil springs.

That's ok haha!

I may look into a heavier hammer spring for added power later on. But for now this is cool.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:50 pm 

8livesleft wrote:
You're probably right. It really shows where they chose to save up on cost with this gun.

No biggie I guess since I like to wrench anyway but for beginners (who this gun is intended for), the trigger is a real sore spot.

That Alliance Hobby trigger is junk. I bought one, installed it. Safety wouldn't function and the trigger blade is set back too far. It went in the garbage ten minutes later. Don't waste too much money on that Disco. In the end you'll wish you'd spent the money on something better. I know I'm a buzzkill but a year from now you'll understand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:09 pm 

ratdoctor wrote:
8livesleft wrote:

That Alliance Hobby trigger is junk. I bought one, installed it. Safety wouldn't function and the trigger blade is set back too far. It went in the garbage ten minutes later. Don't waste too much money on that Disco. In the end you'll wish you'd spent the money on something better. I know I'm a buzzkill but a year from now you'll understand.

Gotta disagree with you there. Trigger needs some work is all. For $295 it is a great PCP starter gun. I got mine two years ago and really enjoy having it. So much so that I spent $350 for a custom stock for it from Joe Hickey!

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:06 pm 

ratdoctor wrote:
8livesleft wrote:

Thanks for the warning!

Yes I'm well aware of this rifle's shortcomings but like I said I'm no pro. I do all my shooting in a 10-50 meter range backyard. And this is more than sufficient.

So far, I've spent $60 for the muzzle brake and adapter.

I'm fine with the trigger. I have no problems with the plastic trigger. I mean if they're good for Glocks/Springfield/Walther, who am I to complain? Lol

I'm inclined to just replace the sear spring to a slightly lighter gauge spring. This will cost less than $10.

That's $70 all in. Not bad at all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:48 pm 

Hehe when the time comes to upgrade you might want something like this.. Yes it is CNC'd and made right here in the Philippines :drinkers: