Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:40 pm 

http://airgunsource.com/air-arms-tx200- ... ech/dp/719

http://airgunsource.com/air-arms-pro-sp ... ock/dp/595

I've shot the solid quality TX200 and it was very nice to shoot. fit and finish was super.
Overall I was very impressed.

Never seen the pro sport in person but I can imagine it's nice....but Is it worth the extra $200?

Being a wood worker I want a super high quality stock.
Looking for advice and comments please.

Can't seem to find a Daystate that's around this price range and I don't really want to spend the money a PCP goes for.
And I like the challenge of shooting a springer well.

Any pro's and con's would be very helpful. Thanks,

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:23 pm 

The walnut stock on the TX and the PS are the same quality, which is to say one is not fancier or with more figure than the other. The Prosport may be aesthetically more pleasing to many shooters as it does not have a visible underlever, but both perform with very much the same results. You might consider putting the $200 saved by buying the TX200 toward a scope that is worthy of either of these fine rifles.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:24 pm 

If you are a wood worker you might considering building your own stock from the wood of your choice. Then at least the stock will be just what you want and fit you perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:32 pm 

Ok good to know Penage Guy, and Watertown I will one day make a nice stock but and looking for an original one for this classic gun.

I do have a scope here as it turns out all ready.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:04 pm 

I have dealt with D&L off and on pending guns, parts or info for over 20yrs. The end result is you'll never be led astray when it comes to your money being spent you get what you pay for. Bottom line as to your wallets lining.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:36 am 

Well, not that big a difference in going beech or walnut on the Brocock PCP's - about $100.00 or less I think. If the HW's (97 or 98) had a Walnut stock for $100.00 more, I'd have gone that route on both of mine, but not $200.00. For that, I could buy a terrific piece of stock wood from Windsor Plywood (specialty hardwoods too) and made my own as suggested by Watertown.
Happy with the walnut stock I got on the Brocock, though, as it appears to be a nice dark Turkish walnut.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:55 am 

The TX and Prosport have the same basic action but do handle differently. The PS is slightly lighter at the front end which can make it hold sensitive unless you can duplicate your hold consistently.
Some Prosports can develop issues with the cocking lever dropping but that is easy to put right with a minimum of tools. Both rifles are built to last, are easy to work on if needed and parts are relatively cheap and easily available.
It's the looks of the PS which make it special, there isn't another air rifle on the market that has that eye appeal, for me anyway!
Whether it's worth the extra money is up to you to decide, I think it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:21 am 

I have the prosport in walnut and love it. It was my first pal rated airgun, and I chose it over the tx purely on looks. I like that the cocking arm is hidden, just my personal preference. It shot great right out of the box, but shot even better with a vortek kit. The gun was super easy to work on, no spring compressor needed. I find the gun is not that hold sensitive, as long as you are not gripping it really hard. The gun definitely shoots better than I am capable of right now. It has been really fun gun to learn and shoot with, and I don't regret buying this gun. Starting off with a nice Springer has taught me a lot about the proper shooting technic and I am still learning. I bought it from airgun source as well and they were great to deal and they gave me great customer service. I bought the gun, scope, rings, and tuning kit all at once from airgun source. Hope this helps with your choice and soon to be addiction.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:31 am 

Wow all very good info. Forgot to add i'm a lefty.

Andy, you got me excited on this PS.

Although I've never shot a specific lefty rifle so this could be a treat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:07 pm 

I might be wrong, but seems to me, the Air Arms guns load from the right side of the port, while the HW's load either (left or right) side just as easily & are truly ambidextrous.

The ProSport for sure, loads from the right side, with the right hand - but, I am sure, a lefty could get used to loading with the right hand, or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:12 pm 

Daryl is correct, the prosport does load from the right and would be a pain to load if not impossible with the left hand. Not sure if they have a stock for a lefty, mine has a cheek piece that would not be very comfortable on the left.

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:07 pm 

HMM, another road block. i'll call them and see next week what they say about this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:27 pm 

I saw on the airgun source website, they do have a left hand tx 200 in .177.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:28 pm 

They don't make a lefty prosport

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:16 pm 

Garth is correct. A few were made in the early days but are as rare as hens teeth. A PS action in a lefty custom stock can work well though, hold the gun under the left arm, cock with the right arm, hold the lever down with the left hand and load with the right. Another bonus of the Prosport action is the totally silent beartrap, unlike the ratchetty TX although that can be negated with practice.