Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: hanging targets.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:15 am 

so whaddya do when it's still to freakin cold and snowy in april to shoot. well you go out and freeze your nut--- ah-- I mean hands off making more targets for if it ever does warm up like maybe in may or june. that's just what I did; I made something similar to this one [mines much better than the one pictured]. using my favourite steel target items. junction box covers. I cut them down a bit in size and put little ear holes on them. if it ever warms up enough to put it all together and actually shoot at it-- I'll try and take some pics.

Attachments:
Round-junction-box-cover.jpg
Round-junction-box-cover.jpg [ 29.83 KiB | Viewed 3331 times ]
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg [ 97.98 KiB | Viewed 3331 times ]

Post subject: Re: hanging targets.
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:23 am 

i work for an electrical distribution and have thought about 4 and 11/16 covers and octcovers

Beeman RS2 Camo - Tuned by Barbas929/Centerpoint 3-9x40
Winchester 500XS - Centerpoint 4x32 PA
Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:18 pm 

these covers can take a beating. I use them all the time. and they are only about $1.20. at rona.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:12 pm 

Thanks for a way to improve my target area.

Another idea I use is hanging small cast frying pans by their handle - the ones I have are about 8" shooting at about 35 yards. Sometimes with self sticking 2 or 3 inch target spots. They give off
a sharp ringing sound.... I think a powerful springer would probably make fast work of my pans - they are some sort of alloy. I got 'em for .25 cents at a yard sale.

I have been shooting at 15 to 20 yards with 4-5 pumps and add more pumps as distance increases.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:28 pm 

pete wrote:
so whaddya do when it's still to freakin cold and snowy in april to shoot. well you go out and freeze your nut--- ah-- I mean hands off making more targets for if it ever does warm up like maybe in may or june. that's just what I did; I made something similar to this one [mines much better than the one pictured]. using my favourite steel target items. junction box covers. I cut them down a bit in size and put little ear holes on them. if it ever warms up enough to put it all together and actually shoot at it-- I'll try and take some pics.

That's a good idea! What's the thickness of those plates?

Rich

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:55 am 

they are about 1 to 1.5 mm thick.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:04 am 

This is one of the first outdoor targets that I made. The wire frame is from those election and business signs. I put a second bar across to have more targets. I think this would work well with Petes metal plates.
You can hang just about anything on it.

Attachments:
539183_614568008582103_931641683_n.jpg
539183_614568008582103_931641683_n.jpg [ 127.03 KiB | Viewed 2188 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:30 am 

I worry about metal targets because of the lead ending up everywhere. So I use a cardboard box with 4 layers of heavy barn rubber in it. All pellets stay in the box. This is with 25 cal JSB King Heavys/FX Royale 500. Stops 'em at 3 yards and beyond.
I realize this lead thing is a bit fanatical, but I worked on a lead removal project when I was much younger. It had contaminated a water supply pond in Washington DC. That was almost 40 years ago. Thus began my obsession with lead.
I've fired well over 500 rounds since getting my new gun. That's a lot of lead!
I wear gloves when loading etc.
I did buy some of those cool exploding targets for the family to shoot on Canada Day, but it was too dry to use them.

Once I get to where I know I can hit 'em in the head (range finding, mil dot calculations etc) I'll move on to my original intended target - the Three R's - rabbits, rats and raccoons.

Richard (the Fourth R!)

C.E. ProChrono
Caldwell "The Rock" benchrest
Beeman break barrel for shooting bullfrogs
TenPoint Stealth FX Crossbow