Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:26 pm 
Supporting Member

Above is a photo of the assembled device. The top 2x4 is new, but I've actually used this compressor a lot and it's never caused me a moment's doubt.
For a description of the compressor and its various bits and pieces, see my post entitled "Home made Spring Compressor".
In the second photo the traveler is removed and the shims are separated. The two vertical pins are carriage bolts inside 1/4" id fuel line.
The third photo is underneath. I used an "F" clamp similar to the one in the next photo but a little shorter. I drilled out the pin holding the fixed end, and fitted it into a groove in the 2x4 and pinned it with a bolt. The flat piece is the front of the traveler so that I can use it for my XS46U which is an underlever with the barrel fixed in place.
The last photo shows the innards of my Quest 1000 in the compressor. I would normally remove the rear sight, the picatinny rail, and the plastic cap on the rear of the action before using the compressor. The cable tie is a reusable type.
I use the punches to push out the pins holding the spring in, and I like to have the four sizes. I use them also temporarily as the pin during re-assembly and to line things up.

The clamps are available at Canadian Tire for around $20, and the rest of the stuff is just things I had around.

I've used it on my Umarex Surge 1200, Quest 1000, Nitro Venom (PAL) and XS46U (PAL) without any problems.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:51 pm 

Post of the Month!

Very well executed, and documented. The Punch Holder is a nice touch!

Bravo!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:03 pm 

Nice, not too pricey and easy to make.

Thanks for the pics.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:18 pm 

Could it be possible to relink the pictures on another site?

Thx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:58 pm 
Supporting Member

my first try with Imgur, but it seems to work.

First pictue is the underneath. To use the F clamp I just drilled out the rivet on the fixed end.

Second picture is all the pieces spread out.

Third picture is it all together and the fourth is the same plus an extra F clamp I have to show what I started with. The two vertical pins are just carriage bolts with 1/4" fuel line to protect the gun. The cable tie is the re-usable type, and the shims are to accommodate different guns. The flat piece is to accommodate any rifles that you have to compress from the end of the barrel, or that you have the barrel off.

Fifth picture is the compressor with the action from my Quest loaded. Normally I would remove the rear sight, the Picatinny rail and the plastic end cap.

I've used this compressor many times without "mis-hap" on every (except one) springer I own, including my Diana 30, XS28M, XS46U etc. On the 46U I use a 1/4" x 2" hex head bolt with two nuts on the open end and I put it through the gap in the plastic end piece then attach the nuts. The punches are to push the pins out, and I use them to substitute for a pin momentarily during re-assembly.
I recently acquired an XSB26 which works perfectly, but eventually (probably just due to my curiosity - I've already had its "Rekord" trigger apart because I felt like it) it too will fall prey to my compressor. :shock:

The whole thing hangs unobtrusively on the wall of my garage when not in use. Having it gives me a good feeling that if I decide to take a gun apart again, there won't be any drama. I'm too old for drama.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:13 pm 

Thanks!