Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:42 am 

Any recommendations??

Like I said, sub 50 yards, sub $100.00 preferrably.

I'm doing ok with dot sights but prefer something with milliradian dots or at the very least a crosshair...

Prefer something that will focus at 5 yards... as I shoot mice in our shop, usually 6 - 12 yards. I need 3 or probably 4 of them.

Last edited by Stevegoodd on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:00 am 

I picked up a Simmons (sub-brand of Bushnell I'm told) 4x 32mm rimfire scope last year for my 2240, later putting it on my 2260. Very clear, focus down to about 5m or 5.5m for my old eyes (+2.75 diopter reading lens kinda eyes - and I don't use glasses with a scope so probably closer if your eyes are better than mine), simple crosshair. I've had decent results with it out to 60 metres or a bit further. Slightly nicer optics than my RWS Compact Riflescope 4x, but that one I like better as it's just over half the size and just as bright - unfortunately the RWS seems to be discontinued. About $65 for either with taxes. Got the Simmons here as the shop is three blocks from my house:

https://www.reliablegun.com/en/riflescopes?orderby=10

I should mention that with either scope I've seen a fair bit of reticle lag, which is to say it can take anything from a few seconds to a half hour for the reticle to correct after a knob adjustment. So I've become used to whacking these scopes a bit with the heel of my hand to nudge the reticle into accepting new input. A few smart hits and it's moved where it's supposed to go. Don't have to do that with my Leupold VX-1 or Burris Droptine .22lr, both 2-7x zoom and considerably nicer to look through.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:09 am 

GerardSamija wrote:

I should mention that with either scope I've seen a fair bit of reticle lag, which is to say it can take anything from a few seconds to a half hour for the reticle to correct after a knob adjustment. So I've become used to whacking these scopes a bit with the heel of my hand to nudge the reticle into accepting new input. A few smart hits and it's moved where it's supposed to go. Don't have to do that with my Leupold VX-1 or Burris Droptine .22lr, both 2-7x zoom and considerably nicer to look through.

That site should probably be a sticky...

If only they had a selection of pellets like they do of scopes... not one pellet though.

Trying 2 Crosman, a Simmons and a Bushnell... can't put all your pellets in one target, so to speak.

Maybe I can borrow one of my Mom's slippers to whack the scope with, she don't have any more kids to whack, so shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the link, bruvah.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:15 am 

Reliable has a tiny selection of pellets, inconsistent types over the 4 or 5 years I've stopped in now and then. Can usually count on the 500 count tins of .22" RWS Hobby though. And for some reason the ultra-pricey 'CO2' version. They have a few air pistols of the replica variety, have had a Turkish Webley Tempest in stock now and then, and a dozen or so break-barrel air rifles up near the front door beside the smaller .22lr rifles. Really not an airgun store though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:21 pm 

Just a thought, Canadian Tire has a scope with a cleaning kit on for $79 take a look.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:40 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
I picked up a Simmons (sub-brand of Bushnell I'm told) 4x 32mm rimfire scope last year for my 2240, later putting it on my 2260. Very clear, focus down to about 5m or 5.5m for my old eyes (+2.75 diopter reading lens kinda eyes - and I don't use glasses with a scope so probably closer if your eyes are better than mine), simple crosshair. I've had decent results with it out to 60 metres or a bit further. Slightly nicer optics than my RWS Compact Riflescope 4x, but that one I like better as it's just over half the size and just as bright - unfortunately the RWS seems to be discontinued. About $65 for either with taxes. Got the Simmons here as the shop is three blocks from my house:

Isn't 4x a little tight for 6 yards?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:52 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Isn't 4x a little tight for 6 yards?

Well yeah... but he did also say "sub 50 yards" so I'm assuming he's shooting at greater than 6 yards now and again. If I were shooting only at 6 to 10 yards (or metres - HEY, WE'RE CANADIAN, METRIC IS A THING!) I wouldn't be using a scope, period. Open sights are easy enough out to 10 metres, quite a lot further for my old eyes in decent sun. But the scope sure is nice for FT distances.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:11 pm 

None of our ML's have scopes. Our targets run from about 8 yards with the string cuts and card cuts to 109yards for bunnies and ducks. No Scopes - did I mention that?
just irons.
Of course, I do have a sight radius advantage with the 48" bl. on this .50.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:09 pm 

What a beauty!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:46 pm 

that one fine looking pool cue there Daryl I cant figure out why there's a trigger guard on it...is that so it doesn't slip out of your hand during some trick shots... :lol:
just messing with you budz, she's one fine peace of art.... 8) 8)
did your brother make that one..?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:18 am 

maybe try one of those compact 4x40 scopes?

Beeman RS2 Camo - Tuned by Barbas929/Centerpoint 3-9x40
Winchester 500XS - Centerpoint 4x32 PA
Steel Force - TRG 1x40