Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 953 paper punching
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:04 pm 

spor4477 wrote:
Wow sure is nice. There is some good work done there. Did he have a thread on how he did it.

Here is his thread with most or all mods done

http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic61086.html

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:17 am 

Sweet thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:54 pm 

I have notice on my two 953s that - when rws hobby's are sighted for my targets centre, pointed pellets always shoot to the left of that centre. Why would this be?

Using Hobby's as the centre standard, noticed that hollow points would go right of centre on one rifle, but did not shoot enough on my newer one nor paid enough attention to notice.

Will be ordering crosman premier domed from amazon and if they shoot well then I will sight my scope for them...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:04 pm 

Hi,

As originally posted by qazzy here's my effort for the first 50 shots. I honestly don't know if that's good grouping or not as this is fairly new to me. My total experience is around 500 shots with my M4-177 and maybe 100 shots with the 953. I basically read the Canadian Cadet Movement air rifle training guide and started shooting. I thought it my be interesting to show what the 953 could do in the hands of a novice.

Distance, 9.6 meters, that's the maximum I can get in my basement...
I'm shooting sitting down with only the fore-end resting on a camera tripod.
Stock 953 with an 2-7x32 scope set at 5x.
I used Daisy Precision max flathead. I know they are cheap...didn't notice any difference in groupings with the Crosman wadcutters I had left.
Please don't spare me, your comments are welcomed :wink:
Attachment:
IMG_2138 (Large).JPG
IMG_2138 (Large).JPG [ 138.87 KiB | Viewed 937 times ]

Daisy 953
Umarex HPP
Walther PPK/S
Smith & Wesson M&P 40
Colt Python .357 (polymer)
Walther CP99
Smith & Wesson TRR8
KWC 226-S5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 pm 

Looks like a good start to me. I will have to see if I can print off one of those targets to see how I do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:24 pm 

8m sitting. CHP's. Some good, some bad, some very bad. First real shooting session with the 953 other than a quick sight in a few days ago. Trigger is gritty on the first stage and breaks too heavy for my liking. I have no idea where shot 90 went. Although not entirely bad I don't think chps are the right pellet for this gun.

I'm going to give it another try with rws hobbys and jsb exacts after I clean it out and do the trigger mod.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:59 pm 

I thought I had 7m but it is essentially 8m. I found the CPHP jammed in my first 953. And in both 953 rifles they shot to the right vs rws hobbies and rws miesters which group best so far, for me.

I have some fun pellets on their way to me, namely jsb domed 7.3 grain and rws 6.9 grain hp, so will see how they group. I have been practicing more unrested shooting but sitting on my couch. I find it quite a challenge but I want to improve, and will. Admittely I find my arm gets fatigued more quickly that I would like :roll: but practice makes perfect...

Good shooting there, btw. Are they rested?

jckstrthmghty wrote:
8m sitting. CHP's. Some good, some bad, some very bad. First real shooting session with the 953 other than a quick sight in a few days ago. Trigger is gritty on the first stage and breaks too heavy for my liking. I have no idea where shot 90 went. Although not entirely bad I don't think chps are the right pellet for this gun.

I'm going to give it another try with rws hobbys and jsb exacts after I clean it out and do the trigger mod.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:19 am 

Plink-Panther wrote:
I thought I had 7m but it is essentially 8m. I found the CPHP jammed in my first 953. And in both 953 rifles they shot to the right vs rws hobbies and rws miesters which group best so far, for me.

I have some fun pellets on their way to me, namely jsb domed 7.3 grain and rws 6.9 grain hp, so will see how they group. I have been practicing more unrested shooting but sitting on my couch. I find it quite a challenge but I want to improve, and will. Admittely I find my arm gets fatigued more quickly that I would like :roll: but practice makes perfect...

Good shooting there, btw. Are they rested?

I'm in the sitting position. Both elbows supported by my knees. I'm having issues with the chps falling out of the carrier when I pump. Very annoying. I don't think I could hit the right square without some sort of support. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:42 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
I'm in the sitting position. Both elbows supported by my knees. I'm having issues with the chps falling out of the carrier when I pump. Very annoying. I don't think I could hit the right square without some sort of support. :lol:

Yes, I find the rws hobby a very good fit, innexpensive, and accurate. But we are human and want a pellet more interesting than wadcutters :lol:

I have JSB Diabolo Exact RS .177 7.33 grains coming which are 4.54mm and will see how they play in my 953 and cp88 clips

Crosman 'Competition' wadcutters were a loose fit... I swapped them with a friend when I had some pointed pellets that disliked my cp88...... look forward to being done with that cheapo wadcutter tin ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:21 pm 

sorry for the mess :lol:

shot a few felt cleaners, and 8 shots were from my CP88 (3 pellets and a few felts... most of them didn't make it to the target except closer range shots :wink: )

upper left is a rested 5 shot group (8m) - oddly I think that pellet shown in the paper is from ricochet from the metal backstop :lol:

the lower red circled ones are 8m sitting but otherwise unrested (term is off-hand?). Put a quarter over the Bullseyes and you see just a touch or black circle.

Supporting arm was getting tired during the 2nd group :o and my last shot missed the bullseye (right red circle) :lol: :wink:

But I enjoy the unrested and will get better, gotta train for when I get to the woods and shoot at orange plastic practice golf balls at 15m++ so I better get my shakes under control :o :twisted:

Extended the butt with 3 Daisy 853 inserts that I was fortunate to get from a cadet officer. I need two 3 1/2" screws for it and I will feel confident it is solid enough. The current scews are 3" which are plentiful everywhere but that extra 1/2" will go a long way...

Attachments:
_MG_6793.jpg
_MG_6793.jpg [ 76.72 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]
IMG_20170128_182738[1008]2.jpg
IMG_20170128_182738[1008]2.jpg [ 403.74 KiB | Viewed 868 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:32 pm 

A little easier to look at vs the above mess :lol: :wink:

8m
seated but unrested
5 shot groups
RWS Meister 8.2 grain

First group was encouraging... until I shot other groups :lol:

Bottom left - 2x5 shot groups, testing JSB Exact RS Domed - 7.33 grain / and RWS Super HP 6.9 grain (I forget which is which) - but once again both types of pellets have a different POI vs flat-head wads, namely the one shot left (HP?) and the other high vs wads. Wish I understood why...

Attachments:
_MG_6795.jpg
_MG_6795.jpg [ 218.96 KiB | Viewed 878 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:39 pm 

targets 21,24,25...good shooting... :supz:
nice ragged hole just like i told you.... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:19 am 

Yup. The good groupings are the true indicator how accurate this gun is. I have similar experiences, both in very tight and loose groups. Some must be flyers, others it's me. Nothing has made me think accuracy issues are from the gun itself. Some rested bench testing is in order.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:38 am 

Ace wrote:
targets 21,24,25...good shooting... :supz:
nice ragged hole just like i told you.... 8)

Thanks mate, 21 was unrested and other lower two were first time testing two pellets.

No matter the airgun, is it generally understood that hp or domed are the most accurate pellets?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:26 pm 

My fun for today. 10 m, rested, stoger x-hunter pointed 8.64 gr. Tasco 4×15 scope.Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next