Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Pellet Preference
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:38 am 

Hey Guys! So i really love to shoot and try different Pellets just to see how they work and how they shoot. Also love the variety and whatnot. Looking to buy some fun new pellets but not sure what to buy. This is what i have so far, everything i have are 0.177 cal

Daisy 8.0gr pointed
RWS Dome flute 8.7gr
JSB Polymag 8.0gr
JSB Exact 8.44gr (8+ tins)
RWS Basic 7.0
RWS Hobby 7.0
RWS SuperPoint H 6.9
Gamo Alloy Platinum 5.0gr
PA Grizzly 9.4gr
Crosman cheapies
Crosman Premier 7.9gr

Guns i have are in Sig, let me know what you guys like? :) Still not sure what pellets go through the RS2 best:)

Beeman RS2 Camo - Tuned by Barbas929/Centerpoint 3-9x40
Winchester 500XS - Centerpoint 4x32 PA
Steel Force - TRG 1x40

Post subject: Re: Pellet Preference
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:37 am 

I would be surprised if anything outshoots the JSB 8.4 in your rifles. Some guns like the Premier 7.9, but usually produce less energy with it. The JSB Express 7.9 may be worth trying, especially if the power of the gun is a little lower. JSB also makes an RS 7.3 that a couple of my guns prefer.

I have dozens of varieties of pellets, but every gun I have shoots the tightest groups with one of the JSBs. The JSBs also produce more energy. If I shoot JSB 7.9 gr pellets and Crosman 7.9 gr pellets, the velocity of the JSB is significantly higher. My FWB300 shoots the Crosman 7.9s at about 660 fps and shoots the JSB 7.9s at about 705 fps. Significant!

I only shoot the domed JSBs, not of the pointed, poly, or specialty pellets. Nothing I have likes them.

For 10m shooting I will use good match pellets(flat heads) by RWS, such as the R10s.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:50 am 

If you want to have fun trying new pellets go to www.scopesandammo.com and order some EunJin Heavyweight .177
They hit very hard not the most accurate but still very good I call them my hunting .177

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... lets-p-508

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:17 pm 

In your most powerful air rifle, try some heavier pellets such as JSB 10.3 grain round head pellets; H&N Baracuda Match 10.65 grain pellets, and Crosman 10.5 grain round head pellets.

The light weight pellets are not useful when it comes to accuracy.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:54 pm 

Mac wrote:
I would be surprised if anything outshoots the JSB 8.4 in your rifles. Some guns like the Premier 7.9, but usually produce less energy with it. The JSB Express 7.9 may be worth trying, especially if the power of the gun is a little lower. JSB also makes an RS 7.3 that a couple of my guns prefer.

I have dozens of varieties of pellets, but every gun I have shoots the tightest groups with one of the JSBs. The JSBs also produce more energy. If I shoot JSB 7.9 gr pellets and Crosman 7.9 gr pellets, the velocity of the JSB is significantly higher. My FWB300 shoots the Crosman 7.9s at about 660 fps and shoots the JSB 7.9s at about 705 fps. Significant!

I only shoot the domed JSBs, not of the pointed, poly, or specialty pellets. Nothing I have likes them.

For 10m shooting I will use good match pellets(flat heads) by RWS, such as the R10s.

yeah my nvd always seemed to prefer the 8.44 jsb's. My pistol i use super H point 6.9gr and shoots very straight. either that or rws basic/hobby

Ill try those jsb express :)

Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:56 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
In your most powerful air rifle, try some heavier pellets such as JSB 10.3 grain round head pellets; H&N Baracuda Match 10.65 grain pellets, and Crosman 10.5 grain round head pellets.
The light weight pellets are not useful when it comes to accuracy.

ill try some pellets over 10gr and see what kinda groups i can get :)

FRANK wrote:
If you want to have fun trying new pellets go to http://www.scopesandammo.com and order some EunJin Heavyweight .177
They hit very hard not the most accurate but still very good I call them my hunting .177

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... lets-p-508

I have seen the Eunjin in videos looks great! Will order some of those too :)

Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:52 pm 

I get Muzzle Energy of 35.76 foot-pounds with them and that is very good for a .177 that is hunting power hits hard and goes deep.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:17 pm 

FRANK wrote:
I get Muzzle Energy of 35.76 foot-pounds with them and that is very good for a .177 that is hunting power hits hard and goes deep.

wow!! 35ft/lbs! I was happy with 23 lol. I really want a new rifle but wife says no more guns :(

Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:34 pm 

A little confused as to why 23 and 35 ft/lb of energy is being discussed in the field Target section. Neither would be allowed in field target.

Some pcp guns can handle the 20 ft/lb max in Open and hunter divisions of FT, but more often the max power used is closer to 17 or 18 ft/lb, for accuracy reasons. Other than the Diana 54, I do not know of a spring gun that shoots accurately beyond 15 or 16 ft/lb. Many springers have energy well beyond that, but in spite of the claims of accuracy by many people, none of these high powered springers have proven accurate enough to have much success in FT events.

Since this is a FT section of the forum, I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that pellets for FT was what the thread was about. The heavier 10+ grain pellet are used on occasion in the highest power springers in FT, but spring breakage is quite common when they are used, The 7.9 to the 8.6 gr pellets are the most popular and most accurate in FT power spring guns.

If you check the pellets used successfully in FT matches, you will find well over 80% use one of the JSBs, some Air Arms (which are made by JSB) and the rest a smattering of some of the other round nose European brands. Some of the high power pcp guns still shoot the Crosman Premier 10.5 or Baracuda 10.6 very well, but they are becoming rarer as time goes by.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:28 am 

Mac wrote:
A little confused as to why 23 and 35 ft/lb of energy is being discussed in the field Target section. Neither would be allowed in field target.

Some pcp guns can handle the 20 ft/lb max in Open and hunter divisions of FT, but more often the max power used is closer to 17 or 18 ft/lb, for accuracy reasons. Other than the Diana 54, I do not know of a spring gun that shoots accurately beyond 15 or 16 ft/lb. Many springers have energy well beyond that, but in spite of the claims of accuracy by many people, none of these high powered springers have proven accurate enough to have much success in FT events.

Since this is a FT section of the forum, I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that pellets for FT was what the thread was about. The heavier 10+ grain pellet are used on occasion in the highest power springers in FT, but spring breakage is quite common when they are used, The 7.9 to the 8.6 gr pellets are the most popular and most accurate in FT power spring guns.

If you check the pellets used successfully in FT matches, you will find well over 80% use one of the JSBs, some Air Arms (which are made by JSB) and the rest a smattering of some of the other round nose European brands. Some of the high power pcp guns still shoot the Crosman Premier 10.5 or Baracuda 10.6 very well, but they are becoming rarer as time goes by.

I could certainly mistaken but i thought nvd stock shoots about 23? So you're saying bigger calibre rifles aren't allowed in field target? Was planning on buying an air force 457 justified target shooting abd i think they are 500ft lbs.

Also its in feild target because it'd discussing use of pellet for target shooting. :)

Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:52 am 

FrozenVapours wrote:
I could certainly mistaken but i thought nvd stock shoots about 23? So you're saying bigger calibre rifles aren't allowed in field target? Was planning on buying an air force 457 justified target shooting abd i think they are 500ft lbs.

Also its in feild target because it'd discussing use of pellet for target shooting. :)

It really is not what "I" am saying. The rules for FT in Canada have a 20 ft/lb limit to protect the targets from too much damage. The accepted international standard is a 12 ft/lb max. The largest caliber used is .22 and only a few use it in Canada and the US because of the Open and hunter classes that allow the 20 ft/lb limit. Occasionally there is a target with a .25" hit zone which is a challenge for .22 and also the slower velocity makes for a loopy trajectory as opposed to the relatively flat shooting .177.

There is a target shooting section on the forum as well, but since FT is my main interest, I do share info from time to time on the FT section.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SaB ... ef=2&pli=1

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:29 pm 

Mac wrote:
FrozenVapours wrote:

It really is not what "I" am saying. The rules for FT in Canada have a 20 ft/lb limit to protect the targets from too much damage. The accepted international standard is a 12 ft/lb max. The largest caliber used is .22 and only a few use it in Canada and the US because of the Open and hunter classes that allow the 20 ft/lb limit. Occasionally there is a target with a .25" hit zone which is a challenge for .22 and also the slower velocity makes for a loopy trajectory as opposed to the relatively flat shooting .177.

There is a target shooting section on the forum as well, but since FT is my main interest, I do share info from time to time on the FT section.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SaB ... ef=2&pli=1

i'm really sorry for this. I do apologize. Was not my intention to break the rules in anyway. Maybe i should ask a mod to delete this thread for now until i learn all the rules?

Steel Force - TRG 1x40

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:19 pm 

I tried about 15 pellets in my NVD and HN FTT 5.52 8.64gr was best. My disco .22 loves JSB but NVD doesn't.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:27 pm 

One of the best things on the forum is learning. No rules were broken that I know of. Friendly discussion so I see no need to delete it.

Keep participating and keep learning. It's all good.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:06 pm 

I use h&n f.t.t's in just about everything i own, shoot well and hard enough lead not to deform to badly if i choose to put a few in my pocket for some adventuring 8) jsb's are great aswell though... Half the fun is the experimenting :twisted: