Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Diana 54 vs HW97 for FT
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:52 am 

Does anyone own both of these rifles. Would the Diana`s greater power mean it could shoot heavier pellets for better performance in windy conditions.
Thanks,
--Ed.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:06 am 

Only own the 97 in .177 producing 872fps with 8.2gr. JSB 4.51mm Cometa, it's favourite pellet.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:34 pm 

Hey Daryl;
That seems to be an ideal velocity for FT shooting. Will a heavier pellet traveling at the same velocity not be even more accurate in outdoor shooting with all other conditions be the same?
Thanks,
--Ed.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:20 pm 

Aged wrote:
That seems to be an ideal velocity for FT shooting. Will a heavier pellet traveling at the same velocity not be even more accurate in outdoor shooting with all other conditions be the same?

Don't put the cart before the horse. The pellet, any pellet, can only be as accurate as the shooter and the rifle allow. To return to the original question, there probably is a reason, or several of them, why the HW97K is seen more often at FT competitions. To be sure, the Diana 54 is a more powerful air rifle, but it is also a very heavy air rifle at 9.9 lbs, plus a scope; the HW97K weighs more than half-a-pound less.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:02 pm 

Thanks Penage Guy but I'm 6'3" and 275 lbs with a long career in heavy construction work and a half pound is a non issue.
Can anyone answer my more pressing question - isn't a heavier pellet at the same velocity an advantage for outdoor shooting especially at longer distances?
Thanks,
--Ed.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:32 pm 

There is a power limit in FT so speed and pellet weight is very important. if there was no limit I would set up for 1000fps with a 16g to 22g pellet but you can't.
WFFT is 12fpe, and open FT and hunter FT is 20fpe so you have to get best speed for your rifles best pellet.

so if you have rifle that shoots 780fps with 8.44g pellets then your just under 12fps the limit would be 800fps with 8.44g but every one almost set it up at 780fps just
to be sure to be legal.

I use a HW 97KT and it's great. I have it setup at 750 to 754fps with 8.44g JSB pellets and low recoil and great grouping.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:05 pm 

Not necessarily. The ballistic coefficient, the length of the pellet, the shape and some unknowns all conspire to determine the flight characteristics in the wind. Shorter pellets that have less surface for crosswinds can be good in the wind. Each rifle shoots the pellets differently, so I would say no to your question.

The full power 54 ( Right around 20 fpe in .177) is also a scope killer. Very hard to find a suitable FT scope that will stand up to the punishment the 54 will hand out. There are some scopes that can work on the 54, but finding them is not always easy. One scope may last and an identical scope may break almost immediately. If you have one that works, you have a scope that was put together well and happens to have won the parts lottery on assembly; hang onto it for sure.

I have a 54 in .177 and it does shoot the JSB heavies well when I shoot it with open sights. Have not used it in a match yet as I am still waiting for a recoil absorbing mount from a fellow in the US. Should get it at the Crosman match this summer.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:54 pm 

Aged wrote:
Can anyone answer my more pressing question - isn't a heavier pellet at the same velocity an advantage for outdoor shooting especially at longer distances?

My apologies for missing your more pressing question. I made the mistake of thinking the title of your post was what was at issue.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:54 am 

Penage Guy; You're right my original question was which rifle was best suited for FT. I felt the key to that decision was how heavy a pellet the gun could shoot at an accurate velocity. Frank reminded me (I've been to 1 FT event) that there are power restrictions. Please excuse my frustration, I've asked the pellet weight question often in other posts.
Frank; I assume the HW97 just qualifies for the WFFT tournaments and must be one of the best choices. Now I'm wondering if it's at a slight disadvantage in the 'open' and 'hunter' divisions.
Mac; Thank you so much. I was wondering if the scope was included in the recoil by allowing the barreled action of the gun to slide backwards.
I can see how that would be brutal on the scope. Well I've had the Diana 54 in the shopping cart often and you saved me from pulling the trigger lol. With my eyes a scope is essential so the Diana is out!
I have a very capable Hatsan AT44 with a LW long barrel that I can detune for the under 20fpe events. Now I can buy the HW97KT for the sub 12fpe events with peace of mind.
Thank you gentleman,
Ed.