Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:29 pm 

Can anyone comment on the ease or difficulty (whether it's even possible) of crossing into the US with an air gun and then returning with it? A friend of mine has a large farm in upper Vermont and he'd like me to visit him and shoot with him on his property. He also shoots air guns.

Other than registering the gun before leaving Canada, is there anything else required? Is there any reason this could not be done? I DO have a Canadian gun license (PAL) and I'm talking about taking my Weihrauch HW97KT into the States and returning with it.

If this is possible, what could I do in order to make this as smooth and legal as possible?

(And in the future I might also like to take my new 10-meter target pistol, Steyr EVO 10 with me. Would such a pistol have the same requirements or being a pistol is it different?)

Thanks for any comments...

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:09 pm 

You drop in at the border on our side and get a Y38 form filled out for the gun. This green piece of paper is more to get the gun back into Canada than it is to get into the US. Canadian Customs just want to be sure that you did not buy a gun in the US and try to bring it back. When you cross, just tell the US guys what you have and why you are bringing it with you to your friend's place.

I have been crossing the border with airguns for over 15 years and have never had any real issues other that them wanting to have a look once in awhile and sometimes they confirm the gun you have matches the information on your green card (Y38).

Have fun at your friend's place.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:26 pm 

Mac wrote:
You drop in at the border on our side and get a Y38 form filled out for the gun. This green piece of paper is more to get the gun back into Canada than it is to get into the US. Canadian Customs just want to be sure that you did not buy a gun in the US and try to bring it back. When you cross, just tell the US guys what you have and why you are bringing it with you to your friend's place.

I have been crossing the border with airguns for over 15 years and have never had any real issues other that them wanting to have a look once in awhile and sometimes they confirm the gun you have matches the information on your green card (Y38).

Have fun at your friend's place.

Thank you Tim! You make it sound easy.

You didn't say anything specifically about air pistols... to your knowledge is that just as easy as with an air rifle?

Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:34 pm 

The situation is exactly as Mac described, and the air pistol is no different. Air guns are not firearms in the United States, so, as Mac said, you just need to make sure you're covered when re-entering Canada. However, I would not recommend taking a modded air pistol (e.g., a 2240 carbine) across the border, even though you're perfectly legal. One of those things that isn't like the others can cause major processing delays.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:59 pm 

I would expect that while travelling with airguns anywhere you should always treat them as if they were firearms. This means having them stored in carrying cases in your trunk.
Don't have them in the open on your back seat.

I find that the rules & inspections at every US border crossing to be different.
It might be helpful to approach the crossing you intend to use and ask the US border agents what documentation they want to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:36 pm 

I find that the more relaxed you are, the more relaxed the US customs officer will be. Don't make a big deal of something that is not a big deal.

When my buddy and I have been sent in by a customs officer at the US side, the guys that inspect usually laugh and say, "These are just BB guns." They send us on our way. That is the worst case scenario.

We have brought match pistols and all manner of air rifles with no issues.

Coming back to Canada, we have been inspected a couple of times, but we have the Y38 documents and our PAL, so it is just a formality.

I just assume guns will be in cases and stored in the trunk or back of an SUV.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:35 am 

Mac wrote:
I find that the more relaxed you are, the more relaxed the US customs officer will be. Don't make a big deal of something that is not a big deal.

When my buddy and I have been sent in by a customs officer at the US side, the guys that inspect usually laugh and say, "These are just BB guns." They send us on our way. That is the worst case scenario.

We have brought match pistols and all manner of air rifles with no issues.

Coming back to Canada, we have been inspected a couple of times, but we have the Y38 documents and our PAL, so it is just a formality.

I just assume guns will be in cases and stored in the trunk or back of an SUV.

Yes, the gun will have a trigger lock, be in a gun case and in the back of the SUV. Unless... it's my motorcycle that I'm riding, :) in which case I wouldn't be taking a rifle along but perhaps MAYBE the match pistol, also in its case and probably in one of the panniers, if it fits. Otherwise strapped with the rest of my luggage. Nothing out in the open visible.

I've also got a NEXUS pass.

Okay, assuming the proper Y38 and the gun locked in a case in the back of the SUV, do I need to mention the air gun to the US Border agent as I cross? Or "nothing to declare"? Likewise on the return?

Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:58 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Air guns are not firearms in the United States ...

It depends of the state and I find it even more complicated in the US than here in Canada. For sure, New Jersey and Rhode Island consider air guns as firearms. In Illinois, it depends on the caliber and the velocity and not so long ago, Michigan considered air guns as firearms, but I think laws regarding air guns have changed there. In some other states, even if not firearms, they are considered dangerous weapons that can not be carried in a vehicule, etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:52 pm 

You absolutely mention that you have an air gun. If you say you have nothing to declare and they look to find an air gun, you better to a good talker or a lawyer to get out of that smoothly.

Like I said, mention that you have an airgun just like you would declare you have a nice camera with you, very calm and matter of fact.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:24 pm 

Mac wrote:
You absolutely mention that you have an air gun. If you say you have nothing to declare and they look to find an air gun, you better to a good talker or a lawyer to get out of that smoothly.

Like I said, mention that you have an airgun just like you would declare you have a nice camera with you, very calm and matter of fact.

I wouldn't mention a camera at all when crossing the border! And my passion in life is photography, and I have a TON of high-quality cameras and lenses. I have never mentioned them when crossing the border, nor would I even think of doing so. But ALL my camera gear is documented and I have proof of having either purchased it in Canada or of having legally imported it and paid duty/taxes. And I've been crossing into the States with my gear several times per month for YEARS without any problem at all. (I also have a NEXUS pass which makes my crossings a lot easier.)

I agree with and appreciate all the advice you've given, except for that last part. If you have Y38 documentation (or other proof) of camera ownership, there is NO REASON at all to mention the camera gear when crossing the border.

Are you talking about when ENTERING the States, or RETURNING? The only issue with the Y38 or other documentation is to prove that you did not purchase the gear outside of Canada and are trying to smuggle it in. And that is only of interest to the Canadian side when returning.

Now I question whether or not an air gun (properly documented) needs to be mentioned when crossing the border. If you're putting it in the same category as camera equipment then I would say it does NOT have to be mentioned. But because it's an air GUN, maybe there's a different reason for mentioning it?

Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:33 pm 

PGAir wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
Air guns are not firearms in the United States ...

It depends of the state and I find it even more complicated in the US than here in Canada. For sure, New Jersey and Rhode Island consider air guns as firearms. In Illinois, it depends on the caliber and the velocity and not so long ago, Michigan considered air guns as firearms, but I think laws regarding air guns have changed there. In some other states, even if not firearms, they are considered dangerous weapons that can not be carried in a vehicule, etc.

I believe the Pyramid Air and even Walmart USA will show you that some states have special rules for air guns.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:14 pm 

My goodness. I used a camera as an example of something benign. I was not trying to suggest you list everything you bring over. A gun you mention; it is not so benign as a camera or your toothbrush.

Mention it when asked if you have something to declare. You may get across by saying you have nothing to declare, but if they check and find an air gun, good luck!