Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Monopod for FT
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:27 pm 

So we did a FT competition type setup today at HAHA (thanks Chris as always) and I think I might get a monopod to try as I understand they are allowed for FT, but are there still any restrictions? E.g. some have a wrist strap; is that allowed? What about if it has a pointy end; is it allowed to stick it in the ground etc?

Post subject: Re: Monopod for FT
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:45 pm 

http://www.fieldtargetcentral.com/docs/CAFTAcentral%20Shoot%20Rules.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:28 am 

Thanks.
So it seems this sort of thing would not be suitable as it has a point that could be argued is being driven into the ground (even inadvertently just from the weight of resting a rifle on it) and it has an not-allowed "strap"?:

https://www.amazon.ca/Hunters-Specialti ... JYKYEQ5KH0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:12 pm 

The strap is probably easy to remove. But with that long tapered point you may have difficulty fitting a crutch tip or other device to bring it to the required diameter, 1" if memory serves. The tip must not go into the ground. While it depends largely on the formality of the particular match you use it in, the rules are quite clear on these points, and it's a bit pointless practicing with a stick which violates those rules.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:35 pm 

UTG do one that might be better. Costs a good bit more but hopefully better quality so I will do a bit more research and maybe get that one. It has no strap though there is one that goes over the rifle which is also probably not allowed but easily removed as it just slips over a couple of pins. Mr Gaylord reviewed it on Pyramyd regarding FT use, quite interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:08 pm 

I have one kicking around that I got from sail you can have for $10 and only if you like it if not return it to me.
it's a vanguard scout m62, used once but didn't like using a monopod.

https://www.amazon.ca/Vanguard-Scout-M6 ... B001LK7YI4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:37 pm 

Thanks Rodney! Maybe bring it along to the next gathering and I can try it out, see if I get on with it as I don't really know yet.
(By the way, I have a conversion table / calculator for you that I did for the Fat Wrench)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:53 pm 

awesome on the calculator!
just swing by bud not sure when I can come out next.

pm for my number and address.

good to try before buying. I didn't like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:31 pm 

Yeah, there must be some tricks of the trade for using a monopod successfully. When I threw one together I thought it was a bit embarrassing, almost like cheating, even though they're allowed at our informal HFT meets. But when I tried shooting from the thing it felt weird. Almost like shooting from the deck of a boat on an almost-calm sea, a sort of slight sway I couldn't overcome. Stopped trying. Maybe I'll try again, but as it's unlikely I'd ever shoot squirrels or rats from one it doesn't really seem an important skill for me to work on. Prefer working on my standing shots, then seated on a folding tripod stool, then sitting on the ground, though the last two could switch order depending on the situation. Standing seem the most 'pure' so when I'm feeling like pursuing shooting discipline those are the shots I take. Requires the most focus.

I've seen a couple of guys sort of wedging a monopod under one leg while sitting on a stool, but as I interpret the rules that's a no-no. It does seem to be an extremely stable use of a monopod or any shooting stick though, practically like a tripod.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:47 pm 

I am just starting out so just experimenting at the moment. What you describe about using it seated sounds much like what Mr Gaylord was doing on Pyramyd but that's not allowed? Where in the rules is that sort of detail spelled out?
Apparently slings are allowed (I think...?) so I ordered a cheapo Gamo item that slips on a break-barrel to try that too. I had a HW35 years ago which comes with one and that helped a lot but I am not brave enough to drill a swivel into the stock for a permanent fitting on the HW80 I have now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:35 pm 

CAFTA rules - Hunter Division wrote:
K) Monopods will not be attached to the rifle in any way nor will they be driven
into the ground. They will not have a surface larger than two (2) inches by three
(3) inches on the top, to rest the rifle on. The base will not be larger than one and
one half inches (1 ½”) in diameter or smaller than three quarters of an inch (3/4”)
in diameter. The monopod will not have any addition attachments to it that give
rigid lateral or longitudinal support to the rifle, as if it was sitting on a bench or in
a fitted notch or channel.

I can't spot the place where it said the monopod wasn't to be braced... or perhaps I imagined it. I expect someone from CAFTA will speak up eventually, or suppose you could contact someone about it. Was almost certain there was a specific prohibition on bracing the monopod against a leg though...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:25 am 

Yes, that's as much as I read about it. I guess I will find out in due course and as I say, at the moment I am just experimenting with things and playing around with it all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:38 pm 

I've seen nothing regarding putting it against your leg. In fact I've shown people how one of the guys on youtube sets it up with the foot of the monopod on the instep of one foot and the shaft on the other leg. It makes it almost like a tripod for a ridged setup, but makes the shooter shoot in a totally different position [ it does work ].

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:06 pm 

I have another question regarding monopods: The rules say the top can be up to 2 x 3 inches. There is nothing to say what it can be made of though so does that mean anything goes? The one I got from Rodney has a rubber grippy bit in the middle of the 'V' but it is quite thin and the angle it sits in is hard plastic so I have put some soft PVC tube over it; is that okay?
Going further than that, would it be allowed to fabricate some sort of pad for the rifle to rest on as long as it remains within the size limit?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:37 pm 

DDtank, Here's what I have from CAFTA match rules pertaining to monopods:-

"L) Monopods are allowed provided they are not attached to the rifle in any way nor will they be driven into the ground.
They will not have a surface that touches the gun larger than two (2) inches by three (3) inches on the top when looking straight down, to rest the rifle on.
Only one flat surface or two flat surfaces that form a “V” may be used.
The monopod or stock will not have any addition attachments or modifications to it that form fit the mono-pod to the gun and give lateral or longitudinal support to the rifle, as if it was sitting on a bench or in a fitted notch or channel.
The base that touches the ground will not be larger than one and one half inches (1 ½”) in diameter or smaller than three quarters of an inch (3/4”) in diameter."