Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: WTB Webley Tempest
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:02 pm 

Looking a Webley Tempest, may consider Hurricane as well.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: WTB Webley Tempest
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:23 pm 

Olderguy wrote:
Thanks

You may also want to look at the Cometa Indian. It shares some similarities with the Tempest, is more powerful, more accurate and
slightly less expensive. Several forum members have them and love them. I have two, one in black and one in nickel. It specs at 492 fps, but will happily hit 540 - 550 with 7 grain pellets. It's not fussy about what you feed it, but the better the meal the better the results.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:23 pm 

Olderguy wrote:
Thanks

Welcome to the forum and the recent Webley hysteria (read panic). You're among thousands on both counts. I think it was the 2013 Shot Show that Webley announced a "come back," which made everyone very happy because they have produced quality products for a couple of centuries. Unfortunately, no one has seen much in the way of a comeback and standard Webleys (e.g., Alectro) have become scarce on the retail scene. Some rumours say Webley will, unfortunately, not be making its desired comeback, and previously owned (now extremely scarce) is the only way to join the rank.

At least for the time being, consider anything Webley/Webley Scott that you discover. On the other hand, I don't want to be propagating rumours that are inconsistent with the current zeitgeist, so please jump in and correct me if my info is dated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:24 pm 

palmnell wrote:
Olderguy wrote:
Thanks

You may also want to look at the Cometa Indian. It shares some similarities with the Tempest, is more powerful, more accurate and
slightly less expensive. Several forum members have them and love them. I have two, one in black and one in nickel. It specs at 492 fps, but will happily hit 540 - 550 with 7 grain pellets. It's not fussy about what you feed it, but the better the meal the better the results.

Well said and X2. However, as per my above comments, It's not a Webley.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:37 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
palmnell wrote:
Olderguy wrote:
Thanks

Well said and X2. However, as per my above comments, It's not a Webley.

Of course you are right Edmonton<500, although it looks a bit like one. I was trying to dissuade the gentleman from buying a Tempest, because I don't think they are very good. Even the older ones are iffy.

Forgot to ask you, do you own or have you used an Indian? Like to get your thoughts on your favourite pellet.

This very mixed bag is what is what I have accumulated in about 10 months after not firing anything for years in England. It was time for a comeback.

FAS 6004 .177
Cometa Indian .177 (x2)
Beeman P17 .177 (x3)
Crosman 1377 .177
Benjamin Trail NP .177
Colt Peacemaker C02 BB
Luger P08 C02 BB
Sig Sauer 226 X5 C02 BB
FWB 124 .177
Crosman 1077 .177 synthetic
Crosman 1077 .177 woodstock
Benjamin Regal .22
Beeman Silver Kodiak .177 & .22
Browning Leverage .22
Gamo Delta Cadet .177

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:43 pm 

palmnell wrote:
Olderguy wrote:
Thanks

Yeah, what He said, on the Tempest side, look for an older one made in England, better than the current Turkish.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:53 pm 

Well here's your dream. They don't come looking much better than this........

http://www.airguns.net/classifieds/show ... rOfPages=2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:22 am 

The ad says "no New Jersey or Canada purchases will be accepted" so it seems unlikely. Still, a very clean sample of the Beeman-branded Webley Tempest. That's one I considered around 1981, but as I couldn't decide between the Tempest and the FWB 65 (yeah, I was THAT ignorant about airgun stuff) I bought a new lens for my Leica M4 instead, a Noctilux 50mm which let me shoot in extremely low light. Didn't really think about airguns again for almost 30 years. Now I have a Tempest from the 1990's and like plinking with it, though not quite as much as with my 1950's Senior. The Senior doesn't quite hit as hard, but it's just such an elegant, compact piece, and the blued steel appeals to me so much more than the plastic and aluminum of the Tempest.

Welcome new older guy. It's a fine little clubhouse we've got here. Sooner or later most of what you'd like to have should come up in the for sale section, you just have to watch carefully and jump when opportunities arise. Good luck with it. Nothing quite like the Webleys, especially the challenge of grouping pellets with them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:56 pm 

Thanks for all the great info, really appreciate it! Had not considered the Indian, will give that some thought.
I purchased a new Tempest in the 80s, shot the heck out of it, and foolishly gave it away years ago.
I guess I am trying find all those things that brought me joy in my youth again.lol

Thanks again, appreciate all the responses and greetings!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:02 pm 

Marvins' got a couple of Webleys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:08 pm 

Marvin usually has two or three Webleys, from the old stuff to the Alecto, but currently his pistols are all marked as 'sold.' Bought my Junior from Mr Marvin and love that little thing. Accurate enough for big pine cones out to maybe 10 metres so it makes a great pocket plinker for camping. His prices seem fair enough. Mine was well used, needed some TLC to bring it up to snuff, but I knew from his description what I was getting and the price suited me fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:53 am 

Quote:
Forgot to ask you, do you own or have you used an Indian? Like to get your thoughts on your favourite pellet.

I have a friend who has an Indian, and I have shot it many times. Great gun and on my list, but I actually have no clue as to what pellets it was being fed. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Quote:

I have a friend who has an Indian, and I have shot it many times. Great gun and on my list, but I actually have no clue as to what pellets it was being fed. Sorry.

Thank you anyway. They are back in stock at D&L, $215 for black and $235 for nickel. Pyramyd Air just got a consignment and will ship them from the US to Canada because nominally they are under 500 fps. But they certainly are not in practice.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:14 am 

Olderguy wrote:
Thanks for all the great info, really appreciate it! Had not considered the Indian, will give that some thought.
I purchased a new Tempest in the 80s, shot the heck out of it, and foolishly gave it away years ago.
I guess I am trying find all those things that brought me joy in my youth again.lol

Thanks again, appreciate all the responses and greetings!

Talk to Edmonton<500 about the Cometa for more feedback. He has used one and apparently wants to get one. It's a very enjoyable powerful springer. They are back in stock at D&L, $215 for black and $235 for nickel. Pyramyd Air just got a consignment and will ship them from the US to Canada because nominally they are rated at 492 fps. Actual velocity is more like 530 -550 depending on the pellet.